TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey tdubbers,

For some reason I think y'all would have good recommendations for air rifles.

I shot one for the first time since childhood a few weekends ago and just had a hell of a lot of fun.

The one I had as a kid was bbs or pellets and you were supposed to pump it 3 times, but we always pumped it 5 or 6.

I guess I'm looking for the trifecta of cheap, quiet enough to not alert hoity neighbors, and capable of killing a rabbits 'n' such.

I like shooting with iron sights just fine...

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
There are a number of single pump spring guns on the market. Gamo is one of the affordable ones.
As th price goes up, so does the power and quality. Some are nearly the equal of a .22 for small varmints.
My preferredcal. is .20 cal. It has nearly the speed of a .17 and hits as hard as to .22 airgun pellets. Penetrates deeper too.
I had a Beeman number 1 in .20 That was deadly and accurate. Wierauch and Feinwerkebau make some of Beemans' product and they are
top of the line for quality. The really spendy ones use a pneumatic spring and are very powerful and accurate but cost as much as a GOOD firearm.

·
Registered
637 Posts
A Gamo whisper in .177 or .22 should be fine. The key with the whisper is to use the heaviest ammo possible as it lessens the FPS and thus the report. Modern airguns can send a pellet out 1300+FPS. The .22 Whisper w/ lead pellets is around 950. FWIW, a .22LR comes out about 1200FPS for a 40gr bullet.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a nice Gammo Silent Cat from Walmart, Its a break barrel and they are about $129,
I also have some nicer german make pellet rifles which are $500 and up these days,
and you know what ?
I use the $129 Walmart Gammo Silent Cat in .177 a whole bunch more,
They can be ordered on lone for pick at a local Walmart near you,
I dont condone walmart, Nor do Iuse them buy once a year,
But the Pellet Gut is a good reason,

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I own a Stoger X20 S2 in .22 and i really like it. It has a suppressor on it and its super quiet, almost silent. The quiet is the thing i really like about it because where i live my neighbors would freak even at the sound of an air rifle, they have called the cops before because of air powered nail guns....

This thing will take down a woodchuck so rabbits would be a non issue.
X20 S2 Suppressor | Stoeger Airguns

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Herseyb, these folks are recommending some fine pellet only guns, but if you want the stated trifecta hard to go wrong with a classic pump-up bb/pellet combo for under $30, something like Classic Crosman 760 Pumpmaster Air Carbine - Walmart.com works just fine.
Very quite, can target shoot indoors for practice, BBs are darn cheat and I have eaten a rabbit taken at @ 20 yards with a single simple BB at 10 pumps, have dropped squirrels at 30 yards. Trigger pull and noise goes up with the number of pumps but you get used to it. For just fun the BB option allows many shots per minute. Just pull the bolt back and magnet grab another BB from the magazine. See how many shots and how long to saw a cola can in half at 15 yards is a good way to practice, hone the trigger group and just have 10 round per minute fun.
I still use my ancient 760 Pumpmaster to dispatch pack-rats and squirrels caught in my live trap. A .177 wadcutter pellet typically goes through and through on a headshot. The wadcutter pellets seem unstable after 15 yards with my spring-air RWS Dianna so I relegate them to the old BB gun.

My RWS likes the heaviest pellets I can find. The light alloy hyper-fast pellets just seem to make me miss very fast, I think they get unstable decelerating through trans-sonic speeds down-range.

If $30 seems too cheap there are other variable power pump-up rifles out there with grater power and accuracy potential.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Jeffrolives,,,,,,this one is in your realm of knowledge. Are you out there?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Herseyb, these folks are recommending some fine pellet only guns, but if you want the stated trifecta hard to go wrong with a classic pump-up bb/pellet combo for under $30, something like Classic Crosman 760 Pumpmaster Air Carbine - Walmart.com works just fine.
Very quite, can target shoot indoors for practice, BBs are darn cheat and I have eaten a rabbit taken at @ 20 yards with a single simple BB at 10 pumps, have dropped squirrels at 30 yards. Trigger pull and noise goes up with the number of pumps but you get used to it. For just fun the BB option allows many shots per minute. Just pull the bolt back and magnet grab another BB from the magazine. See how many shots and how long to saw a cola can in half at 15 yards is a good way to practice, hone the trigger group and just have 10 round per minute fun.
I still use my ancient 760 Pumpmaster to dispatch pack-rats and squirrels caught in my live trap. A .177 wadcutter pellet typically goes through and through on a headshot. The wadcutter pellets seem unstable after 15 yards with my spring-air RWS Dianna so I relegate them to the old BB gun.

My RWS likes the heaviest pellets I can find. The light alloy hyper-fast pellets just seem to make me miss very fast, I think they get unstable decelerating through trans-sonic speeds down-range.

If $30 seems too cheap there are other variable power pump-up rifles out there with grater power and accuracy potential.
Fred, I think you are on-target here. I loved my 760 pump as a kid.

You're also correct about the trans-sonic destabilization. It's why .22LR match loads are usually subsonic.

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
That $80 Vantage is very competitively priced for a nitrogen piston break barrel pellet rifle. The compressed nitrogen rather than a coiled spring gets rid of a lot of the twist recoil of a conventional spring air rifle leading to easier achieved accuracy while also reducing noise and perceived cocking effort. In .22 caliber it would have significantly greater take-down power than the Crossman 760 lobbing BBs @ ~625 f.p.s.
It all depends on what you want from the gun...easy fun affordable plinking or serious varmint control. Sort of like asking which is better, a TW or a Sportster.
I say get them both!
I still like lobbing BBs long range as you can see their coppery sheen in flight but when I want to punch holes in something far away I grab the 1000 f.p.s. spring air RWS Model34 Dianna.

If you want more potential power and/or a larger pellet in a variable velocity/variable noise air rifle then there are much better pump-ups than the 760. Sheriden .20, Bengamin 392s and Blue Streaks in .22 come to mind. More expensive to buy and feed but a lot more air-gun than the 760 which is really just a powerful toy. 3.jpg Sheridan-Blue-Streak-CB9-air-rifle.jpg

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
A childhood family friend had a silver streak back in the day. His dad was a small town sherriff's deputy and had some awesome long guns and shotguns. I was given the silver streak as the son had married a non gun loving type, so, no guns in the house. I sent it in to Benjamin to have the seals replaced and shot it a few times after. Not too long after that, I was told he would like to have it back. lol Didn't have the heart to even ask for cost of repairs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes Hersey, this is a very subjected and opinionated question.

Kinda kinda like going to audiophile forums and asking what are the best vintage loudspeakers (ahem...Altecs :p)

I have had, and do have a good many air rifles, and have dispatched many a garden eater with them even though I live rural and could've used rimfire instead.

In that big bore thread, I mentioned some of my favorites, and will still back that 46U in .22; solid, accurate, and very quiet.

As Fred stated, all what you want out of it. Just want to plink, or pin point, laserlike that will stop animation instantly.

This I will say, as I have done it and don't like watching others do it. Don't, because of price, go just by that. 6 months from now, you will have burned through more cash than if you just went for quality in the first place.

1. Just go get the 760 pump. $30-40 bucks at any big store.

2. Go visit Airguns Classified

American Airguns Classified Ads - Classifieds

look and notice prices and then do individual research on each of interest. BB Pelletier on Pyramid Air does quite a few reviews of different rifles and is some good reading.

"I", for reasons of accuracy, would stay clear of anything Gamo (please, I'm not bashin') if going for pinpoint. The reason is, they just do not have the quality in triggers. Triggers are often the reason high end rifles are high dollar, because of trigger technology. It is the only thing holding that massive spring back, and needs to release it crisply in order to hit target.

If you wish to give it a try, I have a Benjamin (Gamo) Varmint NP Power Pack in .22, fitted with a Charlie Da Tuna ($40) trigger, that I will give you to play with. Just pay shipping (~$25). Hits Hard, just cannot get it to group as well as my others and pretty much just want out of my life so I quit trying.

3. Faster not better. Advertised FPS is exaggerated by utilizing light pellets. May be fast, but can't hit anything.

4. German and English guns are of outstanding build and value. ie. You will pass them down to grandkids; proudly. :)

5. Although huge power, until used to shooting springers, stay clear of the RWS Diana 48. I really like it, but there is a BIG recoil.

6. With break barrels, under levers, or side levers, ALWAYS keep hand or arm in way of lever/barrel while inserting pellet. Never trust anti-beartrap mechanism. :livid:

If interested in that Varmint NP, get ahold of me.

:eek:ccasion14:

phel: Really!?! An R1? You've had all the neatest toys. :icon_salut:

·
Registered
736 Posts
my friend when I was a kid had a Benjamin, which was very cool, then he got a Sheridan Blue Streak,,,even more cool. his family was kinda well off, they even had a boat.

I have a Gamo Bone Collector, similar to the Whisper, in .177 got some kick to it. previous owner put a new Bushnell scope on it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts