TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really been enjoying my new smoker. I had a charcoal smoker that left in Hurricane Sandy. I recently bought an electric one from Masterbuilt. It is very easy to use and holds temperature very well. I have been finding recipes on youtube and other sites. The ribs and pork butts are awesome but I cannot get a handle on making a good brisket. I have followed two recipes to the letter and had two mediocre results. If one of you has the brisket secret, please post it! Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Low and slow. I'm not a brisket expert, you need to cook them and keep cooking to break down the meat. Also doesn't hurt to wrap in foil after 6-8 hours to keep from drying out. I'm not familiar with your setup, but do have neighbors with electric smokers who love them. I cook on oak or pecan, between 225-250 degrees. I plan on doing some smoking this weekend also. I'll try to post some pics if I do. Would love to see some others chime in on this topic from around the world. :D

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not smoking brisket yet, but got a good start. Cold beer, Elk burgers, sweet corn, Harley-Davidson green-chili sausage.......do what???? Wife bought them, they were surprisingly good. DSC02658.JPG DSC02660.JPG DSC02662.JPG DSC02663.JPG

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Screw brisket, it's a cheap, dirty cut. Get a better quality cut.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, attempt #3 is in the smoker with the help of one very intelligent man. The ribs will go in in a few hours. Then the Striped Bass goes on the grill.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Well, attempt #3 is in the smoker with the help of one very intelligent man. The ribs will go in in a few hours. Then the Striped Bass goes on the grill.
Yummy. ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Love the smoker.If I have time this weekend I want to do a pork shoulder to make some pulled pork but I have a lot to do this weekend so I may just do some chicken and ribs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have really been enjoying my new smoker. I had a charcoal smoker that left in Hurricane Sandy. I recently bought an electric one from Masterbuilt. It is very easy to use and holds temperature very well. I have been finding recipes on youtube and other sites. The ribs and pork butts are awesome but I cannot get a handle on making a good brisket. I have followed two recipes to the letter and had two mediocre results. If one of you has the brisket secret, please post it! Thanks
Ok Ebbanflood, this will make purists cringe but it works well for me. I made many dry and chewy Brisket until I came up with this. I trim the excess fat then dry rub. I put the brisket in the fridge in a sealed container for at least 12 hours prior to smoking.
I use my gas BBQ because I don't have a smoker yet. I put a smoker box on the right side burner on low and put the Brisket on the opposite side of the BBQ with burner off. I leave the Brisket to smoke at around 225 F. for 2 hours just to get smoke flavor. I prefer Pecan or Cherry wood. Now the brisket gets double foiled with some apple juice inside. Then I put the wrapped Brisket in an Aluminum Caserole pan to catch any leakage. I put my oven on 190 F. for at least 8 to 12 hours. Brisket hits a desirable tenderness when the connective tissue hits 190-195 F internal temp. So depending on the size of the Brisket you will need a digital probe thermometer that you can leave in and wait till you reach your internal temp. Usually I smoke late at night on a weekend and put the meat in the oven at say midnight. That way I have Brisket at lunch time the next day. I am amazed at how tender the Brisket is and it has the smoke flavor after 2 hours anyway. That's the lazy way to consistently make good brisket. If you do the oven method, test the actual temp of your oven with the probe as many ovens run a little different than their temp control. The best part of this low and slow method is that I can sleep while the oven finishes the job.:clock:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
We use a Holland Grill. Google them to get the idea. Have had it now for 25 years, heavy stainless steel and both burners are solid cast iron. Only ever had to replace the plastic knobs and nothing else in all these years.

Wife has a favorite recipe. She forces me to drink a half a can of beer. Good woman right there. Takes the remaining half can and shoves it up the rear of a Perdue oven stuffer chicken. She stands the chicken on the grate of the Hollan Grill with the can firmly planted, closes the lid and lets it cook. I never had a better tasting chicken in my life. She also discovered a very nice marinade many of you guys will love. Made by a company Allegro and called Game Tame. You can sometimes get it in Walmart and it is also available on their on line site if your store does not stock it. Good stuff.

GaryL

Reactions: Fred and Ebbanflood

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree, Beer can chicken is the best chicken you will ever eat, can also cook it in the oven, for those that don't have bbq pit. I've even used Coca-Cola. Thanks for the info on Game-Tame. I will definitely give it a try. Nice info.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The brisket turned out great. The only problem was that it took 11 hours to come up to 195 so it missed the party. It didn't matter we had way too much food. Next time I will do it overnight. When I reheated it last night it was awesome. I saw a youtube video for my particular smoker and it said to smoke it 1 hour per pound plus 2 hours. That seems about right. Now I will try the beer can chicken, I haven't done that in a long time. Thanks

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The brisket turned out great. The only problem was that it took 11 hours to come up to 195 so it missed the party. It didn't matter we had way too much food. Next time I will do it overnight. When I reheated it last night it was awesome. I saw a youtube video for my particular smoker and it said to smoke it 1 hour per pound plus 2 hours. That seems about right. Now I will try the beer can chicken, I haven't done that in a long time. Thanks
If you do get up here for the ride on June 6,7&8 I hope you will bring some of the striper with you.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will try. I haven't fished in 3 weeks and now the Bluefish are here. It makes it hard to get Stripers when the Blues are so voracious. The Blues are the biggest we have seen in many years, over 20 lbs is common this year. I will wait until next week to try again, It should be a lot less painful then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've smoked many briskets in my Green Egg and people have always raved about it. I even won a community bbq contest...so I guess it's not just friends pumping my ego in return for free food. My recipe is pretty simple. The most time consuming of the task is preparing the slab, which is a full slab of brisket and not just the small flat briskets. I'll run through the steps in this post and will then post another with pics on the grill and the finished product since I could only post five pics in this post.

1. Trim the excess fat. (I like to leave about a half inch layer of fat.)
2. Put it in a kitchen size plastic trash bag and large aluminum pan and put in a whole gallon of Dale's or Moore's marinade.
3. Close it up and put in the fridge over night. (I usually start trimming around midnight, finish trimming about 1am, and then put it on the grill by 9am...so it's only in the fridge about 6-8 hours max)
4. In the morning, take the brisket out of the bag (do not discard the liquid) and pat it dry with paper towels. (Oh let me mention that my grill is already getting goin at this point as that's my first step really and it's set at 250 degrees).
5. Pour the liquid into the aluminum pan and add any additional liquid to fill the pan up slightly over half full (I just use water but you can use apple vinegar, beer or whatever. You just need to make sure you add enough liquid to sustain the 8 hour smoke time.)
6. Then sprinkle/cover the brisket with your rub. (I typically use Montreal Steak Seasoning but I have also used homemade brown sugar paprika type rubs. The Montreal Steak seasoning rub has always been the favorite among everyone I serve though.)
7. Next I put the pan of liquid on the deflector plate of the smoker (because you need to use in-direct heat) and then set the grate with the brisket on it (fat side up of course) on top of the aluminum pan.
8. Close the lid and wait 8 hours, checking once or twice to make sure your heat is a constant 250 and the liquid hasn't evaporated.

Finish product in next post.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
photo 51.JPG photo 41.JPG photo 31.JPG photo 21.JPG photo 11.JPG

So here it is on the grill. First pic is just put on the grill. Second pic is after 4 hours. Third pic is done after 8 hours. Fourth pic sliced so you can see the smoke ring. Fifth pic is my favorite...half gone brisket and sitting around with happy friends drinking really good beer! This is the only dish that my mom ever requests I make for her when we have parties, as she's an amazing cook and always tend to have some sort of criticism over mine and other people's cooking...so it must be decent. Gotta have a horseradish sauce and bread on hand with brisket as well. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great recipe and post! Now this is what I'm talking about. The trash bag...never thought about using a trash bag. That's great idea. I didn't have enough time to do in smoking past weekend, but when I do I'll share some pics. Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts