TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BC to BC (The Pacific Coast Ride)

so in 1996, young, dumb and full of square calves, a buddy and i rode our bicycles from british columbia, canada to baja california, mexico, just under 2000 miles that we covered in 7 weeks, 6 on the saddle.

fast forward a few years: 2012 my dad and i were on the coast in big sur, california and came up with the idea of riding the west coast (on slightly different bikes). so now with summer here, my wife and kids out of the country, must be time to ride!

the plan come sunday 7/14/: we're trailering the bikes up to seattle, have my uncle drop us off (and he'll drive back to san diego to see my cousins) catch the ferry to vancouver island, canada and then head south.

we're planning two weeks, arriving tan and happy in san diego right around the end of the month. i won't have a laptop or internet but stay tuned for pics.

rubber side down,
ride on!

joe band

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
That's what I'm talkin about!

If it turns out that you need anything before or en route, hit us up.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Way to go Joe! A Father, Son ride just sounds like a great thing to be doing. This JoeBand ride report should be one of a kind. Have fun and you know where we all are if you need anything.

Joe

·
Registered
468 Posts
WOW! Looking forward to this ride report! Even though I try and ride my bike several times a week and have participated in several charity century rides, I have never taken the leap to adventure cycling. Keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all!
i suppose riding with lizrdbrth and ronnydog this would be a two day ride.... ;)
but we're going slow... we figure 200 miles would be a big day, but closer to 150.... three hours of riding and plenty of time to explore, read, set up camp and relax.

my dad has a kx250 super sherpa, but i'll still take pics of his bike.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
thanks all!
i suppose riding with lizrdbrth and ronnydog this would be a two day ride.... ;)
but we're going slow... we figure 200 miles would be a big day, but closer to 150.... three hours of riding and plenty of time to explore, read, set up camp and relax.

my dad has a kx250 super sherpa, but i'll still take pics of his bike.
Heck no. 150 a day in vacation mode trumps 1000 in Iron Butt mode anytime. We envy you.

I hereby authorize you to hang out on Ronny's couch, eat all his chow and drink all his root beer at the end.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
When do you think you will be in the Half Moon Bay to SCruz stretch of Hwy 1? You just might have a little company for a few miles.

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Too Cool Joe!
I made that ride from San Diego to Seattle back in the early 70s along Highway 1. Such a nice and scenic drive, can be very slow through the beach towns in So Cal though. Please Please Please take lots of pictures for us, should bring back some memories for me for sure! I love your adventursome spirit! Go For It!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Joe, you will have to hit San Luis Obispo, Ca. on that ride. If there is anything I can be of help with, feel free to get in touch with me. Mechanical, housing, maybe a BBQ on an overnight stay, local sites, name it.
Mel

·
Registered
503 Posts
Photos man, photos. Ride safe

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Hey Joe,

Sounds like a great trip!

Do you really think you can complete this trip in only 2 weeks if you take a pictures of every tree, plant, bush, flower, rock, bug, gum wrapper, etc? :D

(Just kidding Joe, even if you pull over and stop to take pictures every ten feet, you're still a much faster rider than me!)

Be safe, enjoy the time with your Dad, and have fun. We are looking forward to your ride report (and especially your pictures!).

Brian

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
brian: thanks, both my father and uncle laughed with you, at my expense. i'll make sure and take some extra special pics for you.... ;)

howsbently: yep we plan on camping most of the way. we may get lazy here or there and get a cheap motel, when we need to charge our phones or camera.

tony: i'll post where we are if i get the chance, i'm not taking a laptop so where ever we can find public libraries.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Awesome Joe. Looking forward to seeing the pics and ride report. Hopefully this site has enough bandwidth-I've seen what you do with a 7 hour ride :rolleyes:. I can only imagine how big the trip report will be. Have fun. If you need anything on the route reach out.-Josh

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
That does sound fun! Can you hook something up to charge your phone and camera while riding? Look forward to your pics.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Wow, that is going to be an awesome adventure. Sounds like a good plan, too. 150 - 200 miles will allow you to soak it all up, including the time with your Dad. Don't let them discourage you from taking plenty of pictures. I'm looking forward to the report and will read it all, and look at all the pictures that you are willing to share. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'm taking three batteries for the camera (each one good for 600+ pics) and storage for 700 pics, so i might have to buy another card for the camera. my phone i'll have to charge from campground plugs in the bathroom i guess.

·
Registered
503 Posts
its really easy to put a 12v socket on to bike to charge your stuff. Direct wire it to the battery, wires under the the tank, zip-tie it to the bars. Or battery to tankbag. Just be aware its'hot'all the time. You can do a relay switched set-up for a couple bucks, and a few more minutes to install. Having the ability to keep your stuff charged is, for me, a top priority. Self sustainable if you will. Good luck on your journey. TIM

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Hope all is proceeding according to schedule. Bon Voyage.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts