TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any interest in this group of exploring these?
The Idaho one looks good.
Link to website BDR
I was thinking of doing them on my T7.
A TW would work, but if a section gets closed and you have to detour on a highway, it might not be all that fun.

Thoughts

·
Super Moderator
15,170 Posts
I would be interested in the IDBDR. My initial thought would be my XT350 (range, comfort, & speed). If done I would want to do the entire thing including the southern desert part. I've actually ridden or driven 2/3 of the BDR roads over the years. The main areas I haven't ridden are north of Wallace, ID, and south of Bruneau, ID.
The best time to do it is mid-late July or early August. Mostly to avoid the fires...as best one can. It's also the warmest which would be appreciated at the high altitudes.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be interested in the IDBDR. My initial thought would be my XT350 (range, comfort, & speed). If done I would want to do the entire thing including the southern desert part. I've actually ridden or driven 2/3 of the BDR roads over the years. The main areas I haven't ridden are north of Wallace, ID, and south of Bruneau, ID.
The best time to do it is mid-late July or early August. Most to avoid the fires...as best one can. It's also the warmest which would be appreciated at the high altitudes.
I was thinking of you and the XT350 as a good candidate for this.
Along with
White Elephant and either his XT350 or his 690
Trailrun and his DR650
Washington Larry and smoke rudder with CB500X and African twin
bananachunks and his CB500X

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm also interested in doing the Idaho BDR. Already have the entire route on the onx app. Looks like a lot of fun. Only have Tdub though. But have 4 gal tank to make the long runs between fuel stops.
Maybe have to set up another group who wants to do it with smaller cc bikes?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have been thinking of breaking myself in on the WABDR, I used to ride a lot of trails when I was in middle and high school, but once I had my endorsement, Ive been a street rider. I would think a cool ride would be WABDR, IDBDR, UTBDR as a continuous ride would be a blast. But then, Im usually biting off more than I can chew. Was wondering if there is going to be a Montana BDR one of these year....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did the Utah BDR and completed it. The previous year we started out to do the Idaho and headed south from Montana to the start in Jarbridge Nevada (traditionally DBDR’s are done South to North for some reason), however my buddy’s Africa Twin developed a fuel system issue 400+ miles later and we had to turn back. We then went back to our start in Missoula MT and he got his KTM 690 instead. Due to time constraints we then had to return and only do northern sections headed south. We had my Triumph Scambler 1200XE, BMW 1200GS, KTM 690, and two Honda Africa Twins. The KTM could go anywhere, the big bikes were fine 95% of the time on the trails. The thing is the BDR’s have these special sections that can be very challenging but always offer alternate routes, some of these you wish you were on your TW200 which you may have forgotten to pack on your GS.
Anyways a TW would be a nightmare by themselves unless you had someone willing to drive a support vehicle and trailer for a week because of needed connecting black top and inevitable detours.
My buddy in Montana who’s house I keep my bikes at, has done numerous BDR’s on an XR650 ( junk on the long roads, would never consider taking one of his TW’s), Africa twin ( too heavy) KTM 690(good bike but not very comfortable), Royal Enfield Himalayan ( too high of a first gear = burning clutches and couldn’t do many steeper and not so steep climbs of the Colorado BDR), BMW 1200GS( too bulky).
He now has a Yamaha Tenere T7 added to his collection which he likes but hasn’t taken it on a BDR yet, but he says it may be the BDR unicorn.. we shall see. In the mean time he has a Honda CRF300L on order... so do I 😬

·
Registered
42 Posts
Plant Plant community Bedrock Slope Grass
On
One of the detours along the Idaho BDR just south of the Monument on the Magruder Corridor. Landslide on cliff side caused a re route. Although it looks like it had been there for a while it wasn’t updated on the BDR site. Always checked before we left to go on these but you never know, specially with fires.
Reroutes on BDR’s are NOT TW200 friendly!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would do the Idaho BDR on a Tw because of the adventure. Admiral, Mistervelocity, and I have done some pretty crazy trails and have managed to get out and keep on moving. A chainsaw would be part of the equipment along with rolls of straps and tackle. All part of the Fun. I have marked quite a bit of side road detours on the Montana part of the IBDR that allows one to continue without having to go on the highway too much. More sightseeing and better speed rates for the Tdub. I believe it can be done. It is always a trade off with these things. Doing it alone on a Tdub would not be recommended.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also interested in doing the Idaho BDR. Already have the entire route on the onx app. Looks like a lot of fun. Only have Tdub though. But have 4 gal tank to make the long runs between fuel stops.
Maybe have to set up another group who wants to do it with smaller cc bikes?
The TW is fine. I would gear it a bit taller, just in case you have to put in some highway miles.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to try it on my TW. It's proven itself to be more capable than expected.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have been really wanting the do the Idaho BDR and am fully on board for using a TW.

My only hold up will be vacation timing. You guys do remember that some of us unlucky forum members aren't retired and living free and easy, right?
Understand the still working thing.

Maybe do the run in two stages? Logistics would need to be worked out.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yes
Us working guys just get to dream about carefree retirement life .....
( For now )
mike from NC

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Understand the still working thing.

Maybe do the run in two stages? Logistics would need to be worked out.
I was mostly trying to make a joke about the still working thing.
I realize that retirement still comes with time constraints and other commitments.
Whoever is brave enough to be in charge should post some dates that work for them and then narrow it down as interested people commit. There will never be one date that works for everyone.
I am guessing that to assure snow is not blocking paths, mid July through September is ideal?

·
Super Moderator
20,707 Posts
It will be there sooner than you realize. Be patient. (Like you have a choice) ha ha

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’d like to do all of it. But see the need for a bigger bike, taking more time.
Happy to do parts, and drive a support vehicle.
Just like river running, shuttle bunny good to have.
( r u bringing the t7 to quartzite Eckhart?)
T7, DT200 and thinking about the Scorpa T-Ride 290 also as it would be a blast in Moab.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was mostly trying to make a joke about the still working thing.
I realize that retirement still comes with time constraints and other commitments.
Whoever is brave enough to be in charge should post some dates that work for them and then narrow it down as interested people commit. There will never be one date that works for everyone.
I am guessing that to assure snow is not blocking paths, mid July through September is ideal?
As I started the thread I might take ownership of it, but in July, August and September the only date that may not work for me is Aug, 9 - Wedding Anniversary #36.

In which direction do people want to do it
South to North as the BDR GPX tracks are laid out? OR
North to South as shown in the Video?

·
Registered
754 Posts
As I started the thread I might take ownership of it, but in July, August and September the only date that may not work for me is Aug, 9 - Wedding Anniversary #36.

In which direction do people want to do it
South to North as the BDR GPX tracks are laid out? OR
North to South as shown in the Video?
Hey ejfranz,
I know it's a bit early but, congrats on anniversary #36. Ours will be #37 on June 4th. I've got both an Africa Twin and a T-dub and, I'd like to be able to go along with anyone on any of those BDR's but, like many, being retired doesn't mean you're care free and can just zip out for extended periods of time without issue. But, it is what it is. I get to ride when I can. I surely hope any that can attend, have one great time.
Scott

1 - 20 of 63 Posts