TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
112 Posts
Are you guys motocamping on the BDR's? I have my DL650 set up for off road and have done the MABDR(mid atlantic) on it, Eastern TAT, plus a good chunk of CO/UT on it. I can't imagine trying to get all my gear onto a TW for extended trips like a BDR....maybe I pack too much crap.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This isn't my thread, and I don't want to hijack it, but here's a couple OBDR posts that might give an idea of what to expect.

There's a few different ways to eat this elephant. We had considered a chase vehicle on our first ride.

Because we hadn't ridden the route before, we really didn't know what kind of trail miles to expect or where we'd be camping. On top of that, cell service is spotty out there so we wouldn't have even been able to coordinate on the fly. In the end. We packed our own gear and just planned on the fly. I think it's really east to over-plan a ride like this.

Jerod's dad actually really wanted to leapfrog with his truck and trailer. He offered to haul all the gear, set up camp, and do Chuck wagon duty. But the more we thought about it, the less feasible it seemed. We ended up leaving a map with Jerod's dad and checking in periodically. He was at home but on standby in case one of the bikes or riders broke on the trail and couldn't be fixed with Gorilla tape and whisky. He was only a phone call away but luckily we didn't need his services.

We learned a lot the first year and the next year we were much better equipped. It made for a lot less drama.

The Idaho BDR is definitely on my list, and I'll be doing it on a TW. Not sure if this is the year though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Are you guys motocamping on the BDR's? I have my DL650 set up for off road and have done the MABDR(mid atlantic) on it, Eastern TAT, plus a good chunk of CO/UT on it. I can't imagine trying to get all my gear onto a TW for extended trips like a BDR....maybe I pack too much crap.
If it resembles my buddy on his KLR, the answer is yes.
Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That is to be determined, but I would prefer not to be loaded down with camping gear.
Next month, I hope to meet up with Admiral (resident Idaho expert), Allanb and a few other members and see what they think.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Would love to do this with you folks. for me, time is not an issue, just when and where. I would like to do it with my Roxor with trailer to support the bikes. Being able to take along needed stores, chainsaw, extra fuel, firewood and such would be my plan.

I have been a bit sedentary these past few months with surgery and all. I will see where I am at when Moab brings my bod back to life. Short bursts of TW might be the thing and kicked back Roxor poke along might be idea for a while.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The Idaho BDR is about 1250 miles. Takes 7 to 10 days depending on the bikes and conditions. I don't know if it is possible to do without camping in some sections. Lodging can be difficult to arrange because there are not many available.
I would like to try to do it this year.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m not saying that you shouldn’t be doing a BDR on TW’s, I would certainly prefer to use them. The problems are the start and end locations getting there and back if you don’t have support. We do strictly camping on TW’s and the other not as good bigger bikes. This gives us options when time is eaten up with detours or repairs. Also if this happens and you have a chase vehicle that you are depending on, the cell phone coverage is usually less than 10% coverage on these routes, even when we have guys with different carriers. Big ass bikes do have an edge for gear capacity at least.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Above picture is from our Utah BDR if I recall the sign said the road had been closed for logging for about 9months? Yet it wasn’t noted on the BDR web site.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
The cellphone coverage will not be an issue. I have a Zoleo and can text via Satellite if needed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
You know you guys can always do an unofficial TOI - Tour of Idaho or just do your own version also. We have done this for Utah before not all at once though because of working commitments
I think the TOI 3 is designed more for atvs and less adventurous bikers. Sometimes these other routes help in planning go arounds or combining the two rides to make things more "interesting".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doing your thing on the TWs are obviously much easier when starting and ending in the same location even for very long trips. Can’t do this very easy on BDRs with TWs . But we recently did a 1800+ mile ride over 10 days on the best and most fun bikes ever. I’m talking TWs !!
Plant Tent Mountain Leaf Tarpaulin

Motor vehicle Red Font Gas Poster

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

There were a lot of detours due to fires, resulting in more road miles. Both TWs had XT 225’s powerplants and mine also had a small 42 tooth rear sprocket for cruising. Although we could cruise much faster than our stock TW’s it still was a chore on the blacktop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any interest in this group of exploring these?
The Idaho one looks good.
Link to website BDR
I was thinking of doing them on my T7.
A TW would work, but if a section gets closed and you have to detour on a highway, it might not be all that fun.

Thoughts
I'd be interested, just not sure if I could match the dates since I have lots going on already.

As for the TW.....true the TW is not a bike I relish on the pavement. However as an adventure bike for off road I believe I'd find it superior to the large 1200s for the simple reason that it is small and manageable. Imagine Ewan and Charley on TW200s. 19,000 miles in 4 months would be no problem on a TW. Based on my TW experience thus far I am pretty sure I could do 150 to 180 miles a day no matter what. That cannot be said for large heavy bikes when road conditions get really bad. 15mph for 10 hours is 150 miles. It's not very often that you can't do 15mph on a TW, but on a 1200 sometimes you cannot even move. All that being said it is the skill of the rider that determines most things. I loved my DR650 and think that class of motorcycle is perfect for most adventure riding in places not known to the rider. For me I am now happier with my TW. I suffer much less "white knuckle syndrome" on it compared to my DR, but I will definitely do my best to avoid extended lengths of pavement :)

If you guys make the trip I hope it goes great and you don't have any closures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd be interested, just not sure if I could match the dates since I have lots going on already.

As for the TW.....true the TW is not a bike I relish on the pavement. However as an adventure bike for off road I believe I'd find it superior to the large 1200s for the simple reason that it is small and manageable. Imagine Ewan and Charley on TW200s. 19,000 miles in 4 months would be no problem on a TW. Based on my TW experience thus far I am pretty sure I could do 150 to 180 miles a day no matter what. That cannot be said for large heavy bikes when road conditions get really bad. 15mph for 10 hours is 150 miles. It's not very often that you can't do 15mph on a TW, but on a 1200 sometimes you cannot even move. All that being said it is the skill of the rider that determines most things. I loved my DR650 and think that class of motorcycle is perfect for most adventure riding in places not known to the rider. For me I am now happier with my TW. I suffer much less "white knuckle syndrome" on it compared to my DR, but I will definitely do my best to avoid extended lengths of pavement :)

If you guys make the trip I hope it goes great and you don't have any closures.
I agree with you 100%..if you could limit the blacktop to just short sections I would choose a TW on trails over anything else because of the fun factor. That’s why I have one. Or two👍

·
Registered
729 Posts
My Cascade Route ride last summer had a huge detour and it meant 2 TWs and a KLX400 ran pavement from Detroit Lake over Mount Hood via Silverton. It had to be around 180 miles near redline at 50mph. Bikes did fine and my TW still got 77mpg. On the hills we just hugged the shoulder and politely waved at the cars as they passed. No biggie. But, yeah, they aren't ideal highway burners. We trailered to the trailhead and got picked up at the end.

Hope all you guys that do this trip have a great ride. Take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My Cascade Route ride last summer had a huge detour and it meant 2 TWs and a KLX400 ran pavement from Detroit Lake over Mount Hood via Silverton. It had to be around 180 miles near redline at 50mph. Bikes did fine and my TW still got 77mpg. On the hills we just hugged the shoulder and politely waved at the cars as they passed. No biggie. But, yeah, they aren't ideal highway burners. We trailered to the trailhead and got picked up at the end.

Hope all you guys that do this trip have a great ride. Take lots of pictures.
Yeah It definitely depends on ones mindset. 180 highway miles at once on a TW and a “ no biggie” I honestly give you credit. I would never be able to do that. Off road..... I consider that a Great Day and I’m sure you would too. Just doing the short trips from camp to trailheads in Moab on the highway gives me an uncomfortable feeling. It’s not just the high revs and constant pulling over. The main thing is you don’t know what the person with the high closing speed has been up to or what they are doing at the time. My TW’s mirrors get more wear than anything else! I guess I just have too many pictures in my mind from 30 years of Fire Rescue/ EMS. The less closing speed the better, bicyclists have it the worst.... at least we are better than them.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Here is the Tour of Idaho route T3 that was designed for atvs and most bikes except for the big ones. This route is more difficult than the IBDR. It takes one through more remote areas and is recommended to carry fuel with a range of 250 miles. Not for the completely faint of heart, but would be a really good adventure and trip. Sections could be combined with the IDBR to enhance it. Especially the section between Wallace and Elk City. T3 is 1700 miles long. Maybe break it up into 2 trips.

Map Atlas Parallel Pattern Rectangle

·
Registered
2008 TW200X 225 6 speed
3 Posts
This past October I did CABDR South on a DRZ400SM with Shinko 805's. Also had a DRZ400S, DR650, and KLR. We were motocamping but tried to pack light. For the deep sand I was wishing I brought my TW. The difficult part with a TW would be all the road sections. If you are comfortable going 70 on your TW for a while and the rest of the group is around the same displacement I say go for it. I have heard that the other BDR's are better on bigger bikes tho.
Tire Wheel Sky Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Here is the Tour of Idaho route T3 that was designed for atvs and most bikes except for the big ones. This route is more difficult than the IBDR. It takes one through more remote areas and is recommended to carry fuel with a range of 250 miles. Not for the completely faint of heart, but would be a really good adventure and trip. Sections could be combined with the IDBR to enhance it. Especially the section between Wallace and Elk City. T3 is 1700 miles long. Maybe break it up into 2 trips.
Thanks oldworld. I have only heard a little about the Tour of Idaho, but have not seen that map. About 4 years ago I started planning my own ride from Pocatello to Bear Lake, but never acted on it. This appears to follow what I had been planning. I would still love to complete that section, and eventually the whole thing.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts