TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this local story has a happy ending, but this is day 4.

Local search and recue personel are regarded as the finest in the world, bar none. These guys are on ATV's, in a target area of only 60 square miles of somewhat mountainous but relatively open desert.

Have your ducks in a row when you leave the house.

2 men on ATV are focus of Mojave Desert search

The Associated Press

Posted: 12/22/2011 12:46:01 AM PST

Updated: 12/22/2011 12:46:02 AM PST

RANDSBURG, Calif.—Authorities and volunteers faced rough terrain and numerous open mine shafts in the search for two Santa Barbara men who went missing over the weekend in the Mojave Desert.

Christopher Rice, 29, and Daniel Carbonaro, 29, have been missing since 2:30 a.m. Sunday when they were spotted riding all-terrain vehicles away from a hotel in Randsburg, a ghost town, according to Sgt. Ray Pruitt of the Kern County Sheriff's Department.

The search area encompassed 60 square miles in the one-time gold- and silver-mining region.

The roommates were heading to a dry lake bed in neighboring San Bernardino County when they were last seen.

Daytime highs are in the 50s, but the National Weather Service predicted nighttime lows of 31 Wednesday night and around 23 degrees Thursday night.

Carbonaro's friend Jonathan Katz-Moses told the Santa Barbara News-Press that he has set up a trust fund for the men's families to help fund their assistance in the search effort.

He described Carbonaro as "one of the most caring, toughest, fun-loving guys I've ever met."

"They're strong boys and they're hanging on somewhere," said Katz-Moses.

Kern County sheriff's Lt. David Barker tells the Los Angeles Times that some 180 searchers from both counties are hunting for the men.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
hope they find them soon!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Very sad.
Riding in new areas in the dark is a very, very bad idea. I have a feeling that this would have never happened had they just waited to ride in the morning. I hope this serves as a lesson to people thinking its ok to ride uncharted territory at night.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS!!!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gunna get some intel on the details. Gotta be more to it than has been released so far. Due to the topography of the area it sounds as if they may have been fairly close to their original departure point.

This happens all too frequently around here and I like to armchair analyze where folks went wrong.

Helluva time of year for a family to get this sort of news. But at least they know.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Sad, but a very good reminder. Would appreciate the follow-up Russ. Though we are inclined to wag a finger at those that 'seem' foolish. The bits of wisdom and words of caution need to be heeded, but likely are comming from folks (like myself) that pushed the limit of 'common sense' and still drove/walked/flew/paddled or swam home with a story to tell.

I can think of three occasions where I was, or thought I was, not where I planned to be. Actually after serious thought, I did not know where in the hell I was exactly. In reality, at that moment, I was LOST! However one side of my brain was not inclined to agree with what the other side indicated. That I suspect is a situation that many outdoor oriented folks have faced. It seems real hard to know if I would be inclined to hunker down and stay put at exactly the "right" moment. During those past situations, guess I was lucky and stumpled upon something I could identify and proceeded with 'more' confidence.

Perhaps the deal breaker is having the (some) survival gear with you that will help keep you alive until help arrives, or you find your own way back. I found not knowing where I was relative to where I thought i'd be, VERY uncomfortable. I do have a Spot. My bet is, the unit would likely make a long wait for help much shorter. Stay safe and have a GREAT HOLIDAY.. Gerry

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
We don't know that these two characters were lost. They were found at the bottom of a ravine--either they ran off a trail, the trail gave way under them, they were taken out by a rockslide, or 2-legged varmints gave them a little help going over the edge.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sad ending for such young guys. I'll be looking for details on where they were and how, but I suspect Qwerty is near correct here. 2:30am doesn't make much sense to me this time on year for the desert. I hope they weren't up partying till late and just went on a lark.That would be a real tragedy. Lots of missing information in the article. Thanks for sharing this Russ. I'll have my 15 year old read it in the AM

I've almost died twice and walked out of some really stupid situations I put myself in, so I know the feeling described too well. I generally try to kill myself hiking/climbing, so this was a sobering reminder for me because I figure I can carry all the gear I will ever need with a bike... I'll be really curious to see what happened here. If you spend time outdoors like a lot of us do, or you just have a morbid curiosity for such things, read the book "Off the wall: Death in Yosemite," it chronicles every death that's happened there and the causes. It's almost always 20-something men... taking risks they shouldn't have. I'm happy to still be here. 99.95% of the time now, I err on the side of caution. I don't mind getting hurt, but I like to think I know when I'm putting my ass in a life or death situation at this point... but even still things can happen, like Querty's rock slide or those 2-legged creatures.

Be careful out there boys! Big balls can be fun, but is a double edged sword!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been in charge of piecing such incidents together when they end tragically. Could take awhile to get the whole picture.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't know the area, but Government peak is south west of Randsburg, the the dry lake bed is south east. In my mind, they were guessing their route... on a moonless night... on a new machine... at 2:30am... on unfamiliar roads, two-up. Looks like they didn't make it two miles. Sad, sad, sad!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I wasn't involved. Those who were have managed to trickle home in time to be with their families for Christmas and I'll wait til after the holiday to bug them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts