TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking on ebay at this puppy all week, trying to make a decision.

$_57.JPG

It’s an ’07 TW225 special edition. Once you get past the way it looks (gorgeous), and the fact that the price is a “steal”, you begin to notice other things about this particular bike.

On the face of it, even with 8k on the clock it’s not that much more than a brand new bog standard TW200, and for a TW225 SE, that’s a nice price (5000 dollars). Then you start to notice the side panels — the gaps where there shouldn’t be any. The side panels normally clip into the air box — except this bike doesn’t have an air box.

Then you notice the carb — that Keihin FCR must cost a few bob — nice mod. All fitted out and working before you get it.

$_12.JPG

So you do the research — find out what the carb alone is worth (600 dollars — that’s 400 quid) and now the bike really starts to look attractive. A dummy air box can be had for 25 quid to properly support the side panels. Then you sleep on it, and wake up with more questions ……

What exactly does the Keihin FCR do ?

It would seem to be popular, in particular with moto-cross riders, for its throttle response. The flat sided slide, vacuum snap opening, and the way it pumps extra fuel into it when you open the throttle, makes it very responsive off the line — a “racing carb” if you could ever describe one. (Here’s a bit of reading if you’re interested, Fixing the dreaded lean bog on Keihin FCR carburetors - All — it describes the carb in detail).

So, you think about it some more — since when was the TW a moto-cross bike ? — does it really need that throttle response, unless you are riding hard steep trails ? — and when are you likely to take a TW225 SE like this one up such a trail.

Then you realise that this bike is modded this way for one purpose only — drag racing off the lights.

At my age ? — on a TW ? — you are having a giraffe.

So — I’m walking away from the bargain of the century — it’s the right mod, on the wrong bike ………..

Yamaha TW 225cc Trail (Enduro) | eBay

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Under specifications it says: Engine size - 124; Power - 11.

Don't buy it. Something is very screwed up.
TW225.jpg

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I know you said you are walking away, but I have to imagine you are throwing the occasional glance over your shoulder as you do. It's kinda sweet.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
ad says 7000 miles odometer picture shows 13k+ lol.... can we say SCAM
Odo may read kilometers. (admittedly that still doesn't make it accurate, only closer)

A lot of Brits are old school, they still do miles. I think they invented the phrase "do the ton", and they don't want it dumbed down by metrics.

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey - if my Tdub will do the ton - I'll take it - even in kilometers .....

I know you said you are walking away, but I have to imagine you are throwing the occasional glance over your shoulder as you do. It's kinda sweet.
The yen against other currencies is running at a low at the moment – for instance, 339,000 yen is equal to 1853 Great British Quids – which rather neatly brings up a better example

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://hatoya.jp/SHOP/0353u-yono.html&prev=search (give it time to load)

0353-13.jpg

For that money, you can take your pick – lower miles – tastefully farkled with extras – even with shipping and import taxes it can’t cost more than another grand to do.

If you want to take 25% off the price and still get a Tw225 – try this one https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=ja&u=http://hatoya.jp/SHOP/7824u-ageo.html&usg=ALkJrhhlPiD8WpcsIdRf7-O25fu1FgpEGQ

7824-12.jpg

I’m not looking back over my shoulder – I’m looking at the horizon ………..

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
And would you really want to have to tell folks you found your bike in Shepard's Bush? ....and I though we yanks had some odd place names.:p

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
Sorry Purple, no offense was intended. Shephards Bush is not as comical as Crinkly Bottom but not nearly as macho as Hardman Rock.. map-south_3111558k.jpg

·
Registered
762 Posts
The town of Nimrod, Montana - an unincorporated hamlet - is just down the road from me.

Intercourse, Pennsylvania...wasn't far from where I used to be.

And of course, Hell, Michigan. I was tempted to put up the HELL city-limits sign, covered in ice...but I resisted. Congratulate me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Lots of suggestive names in that map Fred; Round bottom, Pink Wood, Sandy Balls, Lower Beaver, just to glance at a few.

·
Registered
638 Posts
From the add
"Nothing -Special edition cars with aluminum carrier knuckle visor meter visor! It has come out blur of feeling that had been ridden to cherish the beautiful car!"
I love the way Google translates Japanese.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Studland and Robin Hood's butts...wonder who lives there...hahaha

are pounds and quid the same??/ just a colloquial way of saying it??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts