TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Bear..It's either eat your yak or your whining azz and B.T.W. thanks for the pepper but it needed a little more salt.

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
She was very polite but the bear would have reacted better to a threat than a pleading request....say something in a 12 gauge perhaps? A thrown rock? Roman Candle or bottle rocket assault?
I have successfully used bottle rockets but then again my seat doesn't smell as attractive as the lady's.:p

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
OMG what an idiot. She must be a liberal. The kind of person who would stop in the middle of the road at Yellowstone to take photos with the Bison and Moose (which would then maul or trample her) and act surprised when it happens.

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
She shot the pepper spray from way too far away. I do not think any aerosol contacted bear at all, there was no "spraying him in the face". Pepper spray, like any tool, needs to be used properly. Had she advanced on bear and given him a good face-full her kayak would likely not have been disturbed. Senior Urso would have reacted like "Black bears matter" and high-tailed it out of there.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
She shot the pepper spray from way too far away. I do not think any aerosol contacted bear at all, there was no "spraying him in the face". Pepper spray, like any tool, needs to be used properly. Had she advanced on bear and given him a good face-full her kayak would likely not have been disturbed. Senior Urso would have reacted like "Black bears matter" and high-tailed it out of there.
You are absolutely right... I've seen it turn a very motivated female grizzly from about a meter away...

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Couldn't finish the video. I found myself seriously pulling for the bear to eat her. Did it? Dang I hope it did. Now I have to go back and finish watching.

Tom

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
My bear left me this calling card yesterday. Why poop in the woods when you can fertilize Miss Marisa's garden? uploadfromtaptalk1443836793143.jpg

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
My bear left me this calling card yesterday. Why poop in the woods when you can fertilize Miss Marisa's garden? View attachment 22564
Answers the age old question now doesn't it. If not the woods, at least the wood chips.

Tom

·
Registered
762 Posts
I kinda suspect it was a rigged vid. For one thing, we HAVE it. Had her kayak been demolished, and she, stranded...obviously given the presented intellect, she'd still be there, counting her protruding ribs and wondering how to catch moose with string and a pocketknife.

That said...bears can be unpredictable. The books say, talk to the bear. ...NOT...WHINE at the bear.

Ninety-nine times out of 100, the bear will just walk away. He's just looking for berries or dead fish or fermenting apples in a garbage can, for a binge drunk.

But, that doesn't help you much if Bear No. 100 comes disguised as Bear No. 17...and goes to work on your kayak, your lunch, or your gams.

The outdoors is unforgiving. I don't need to live like Timothy Treadwell to know that...I'll stick to the Holidy-Inn camping routine, thankyouverymuch...

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
The worst thing some man will probably marry that woman one day. I can hear it now ... Stop drinking, Stop smoking stop fishing stop hunting stop playing loud music. On and on and on. Poor SOB will never make it a week. That voice would drive me bat S^*t crazy

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is a true story.
Berg Bay is on the mainland just east of the island that I live on, Wrangell Island. She got here to Wrangell by swimming out to a sailboat that brought her in. The sailboat is still in the harbor. Her kayak is in a marine repair shop now, but it is plastic and they are not sure how best to fix it, more used to fiberglass, metal, or wood boats. There was an announcement in our paper, soliciting anyone with experience working on plastic to come forward. Can you imagine working for this woman?
A bunch of us were watching this video this morning, and we decided if we came on that scene, we would shoot the obnoxious offensive pest
and let the bear go.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This is a true story.
A bunch of us were watching this video this morning, and we decided if we came on that scene, we would shoot the offensive pest
and let the bear go.

and now you are stuck with her in Wrangell... best take up a collection for a ferry ticket back to Ketchikan...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
She was afraid to shoot at the bear, for fear of hitting her kayak. She would have to aim for the bear's ass because that was the farthest from the beloved kayak. lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts