TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little info first. I have a female Brittany about 40 pounds and she absolutely hates bears. Chases them out of her yard all the time and it is a complete hoot to see a 40 pound dog with a treed 400 pound bear.

Last night we are in bed, wife is fast asleep and the dog at our feet snoring away. I am watching the news with a cool breeze blowing through a slightly open window facing the back yard.

Out of a sound sleep the dog awakes growling and snarling and heading to the back sliding door with me on her heels to see what spooked her. Turn the light on and there is a big black bear just crossing the back yard and at least 50 yards from the house. Brittany's are a funny breed. She does sleep very deep and with both eyes slammed shut but her nostrils never stop and that is the only way she could ever have known the bear was in her yard. Sometimes I think I would love to have the sense of smell she has and then maybe not! She can spend minutes on a particular smell or spot in the yard and I often wonder what kind of info she is sniffing and how her brain is translating it.

I have no explanation as to why she hates bears so much and she could not care less when I get a dozen deer out there. All I do know is that bears must have a powerful odor that is imprinted on her brain and she knows there is one close by long before I can even see it. She also has a very different growl I have come to realize is her bear growl. She does not like turkeys much either but it is a completely different growl when they come in her yard. Amazing!

GaryL

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thats interesting.I speak my Lab's language too or understand it at least.She has many different vocal sounds and sometimes it's quite funny to listen to her when she is trying to tell you something.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
My last dog was like that. He could talk to me in his way, never made a fuss, always asked. He spoiled me so bad I don't think I will have another one. Miss that fellow bad. Your dog knows a bear is a threat being carnivorous. Nice to have that alarm lying there beside you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My little Boston Terrier is that way with skunks. He can smell them (in the house) a good 5 minutes before I can smell them outside, and he gets a special kind of pissed off when they are around.

Sucks when he catches up to them. :(

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
Dog get skunked? Forget the tomato juice. Favorite internet recipe entails 3% hydrogen peroxide, a little dish soap as a wetting agent and baking soda. Chemically neutralizes shunk odor. Avoid getting in pet's eyes.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Said it before but two animals get dead when they enter my yard, Skunks and Porcupines. Dogs just can't resist them and I can't afford the vet bills where Porcupines are concerned.

Good recipe Fred and I know from experience it is the best!

GaryL

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks Fred, I'll try that if it happens again. So far it's only happened once, and yeah, the tomato juice knocked the edge off, but he still smelled for a week.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Bears stink almost as bad as people do. See the little bells in my poop. Hikers. 17-year old whirled peas. They were cuter than they smelled. Smelled kinda like rotten fish. Must have been some of Croatoan's world pieces.

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
This big guy I stopped from climbing through window this morning @ 7am. Absolutely no fear of me, took several pistol shots to scare him P1010696.JPG P1010700.JPG P1010701.JPG

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
If he came that close to my house, I'd have a new rug in the living room.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
taking care of critters should be important to us... when they are gone we will soon follow... all life is sacred.

Be wildwise | WildWise Yukon

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
taking care of critters should be important to us... when they are gone we will soon follow... all life is sacred.

Be wildwise | WildWise Yukon
Here we go again! I guess that means Fred should have run out the front door while the bear came in from the window!

Around these parts we have a saying that holds true in almost every bear encounter. A fed bear is a dead bear! Fred's pal is being fed and has lost his fear of humans because of dumb bastards that think he is cute. On the contrary, he would wreck the inside of your house and kill you in a heart beat!

GaryL

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yes here we go again. you spoke the truth about the dumb ass that left his trailer trash garbage outside because they were to lazy to keep their yard clean. I've lived in big bear country all my life Gary, actually shot a few and I still work to stop ignorant people from food conditioning wild animals through poor control of their human waste.

Actually Fred took a very enlightened approach to this human food conditioned bear.

you are sooooo easily triggered, does anyone actually have a conversation with you without you getting plugged-in

Reactions: Ski Pro 3

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
I was visiting with neighbor half mile away who says this bear has been a frequent visitor hunting garbage cans. I have a garbage compactor so all my food waste stays in house until I haul away for disposal. Still fruit and edible plants attract bears to property to investigate. And actually we were dehydrating chicken all night long so rich smells were leaving open window. Can't blame bear if he likes wife's cooking. Next time he may get some pepper spray.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I was visiting with neighbor half mile away who says this bear has been a frequent visitor hunting garbage cans. I have a garbage compactor so all my food waste stays in house until I haul away for disposal. Still fruit and edible plants attract bears to property to investigate. And actually we were dehydrating chicken all night long so rich smells were leaving open window. Can't blame bear if he likes wife's cooking. Next time he may get some pepper spray.
codos to you Fred for having a tolerant attitude, I enjoy it in all your posts.

There are some very active communities in British Columbia and here that work to educate citizens on wildlife food attractants, aversion conditioning and how to better manage camps, yards and farms in relationship to wildlife. Very simple electric fences around sensitive areas like chicken coups will keep 800lb grizzlies at bay.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes here we go again. you spoke the truth about the dumb ass that left his trailer trash garbage outside because they were to lazy to keep their yard clean. I've lived in big bear country all my life Gary, actually shot a few and I still work to stop ignorant people from food conditioning wild animals through poor control of their human waste.

Actually Fred took a very enlightened approach to this human food conditioned bear.

you are sooooo easily triggered, does anyone actually have a conversation with you without you getting plugged-in
You must think you're fishing and have a sucker on the line! Fred did exactly what I would have done. No harm to the bear but get off my property.

It was you who tossed out the hook with your save the wildlife crap when it was completely uncalled for. No harm was done to the bear but you had to go fishing with stink bait and now you blame me. Reading you is like reading the Cat in the Hat! And the answer is NO, you can't have an intelligent conversation with me without getting me plugged in when it is you providing the electricity.

Keep on Trolling!

GaryL

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
You must think you're fishing and have a sucker on the line! Fred did exactly what I would have done. No harm to the bear but get off my property.

It was you who tossed out the hook with your save the wildlife crap when it was completely uncalled for. No harm was done to the bear but you had to go fishing with stink bait and now you blame me. Reading you is like reading the Cat in the Hat! And the answer is NO, you can't have an intelligent conversation with me without getting me plugged in when it is you providing the electricity.

Keep on Trolling!

GaryL
See the Islamic/Religion Thread....Left Wing Trolls Can't Help Themselves....but then again, they are so much more wise than us....:cool:

Anybody that doubts that needs to take a peek at an old 1951 SCI~FI movie "The Thing From Another World"....it was a Howard Hawks flick, but if watched with an open mind, makes it clear how the PC bunch, even 60+ years ago were so afraid of offending anybody{except Patriots and Right thinking types}...pretty revealing stuff....even then:

TheThing#3.jpg

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
This big guy I stopped from climbing through window this morning @ 7am. Absolutely no fear of me, took several pistol shots to scare him View attachment 6854 View attachment 6855 View attachment 6856

Great! Now you've taught the bear not to be afraid of pistol shots. This bear has learned that people = easy eats, either food intentionally left for the bear, garbage, someone's dinner on the stove, or someone. He is now a threat to public safety and always will be. There is no chance of remediation. It is just a matter of time until this bear gains entrance to a home, causing massive damage, and/or mauls someone. Even if trapped and relocated, he will be a threat to any humans he may encounter, say, a TW rider stopped to take a picture or a piss. The only real solution is to off this bear.

*This attitude supported by data and not intended to piss off bleeding hearts with cute-and-fuzzy syndrome.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great! Now you've taught the bear not to be afraid of pistol shots. This bear has learned that people = easy eats, either food intentionally left for the bear, garbage, someone's dinner on the stove, or someone. He is now a threat to public safety and always will be. There is no chance of remediation. It is just a matter of time until this bear gains entrance to a home, causing massive damage, and/or mauls someone. Even if trapped and relocated, he will be a threat to any humans he may encounter, say, a TW rider stopped to take a picture or a piss. The only real solution is to off this bear.

*This attitude supported by data and not intended to piss off bleeding hearts with cute-and-fuzzy syndrome.
It happens all the time around here. People think bears in their back yards are cute and interesting so they take food scraps out for them. Pretty quick the bears learn there is food in that place and are tearing open garbage cans and even ripping in to garages and homes. A fed bear that looses his natural fear of humans ends up dead. My dog keeps them out of my yard and they learn where they are not welcome and where dogs live. Neighbors lose BBQ grills and bird feeders all the time and garbage cans left for pick up are torn to pieces pretty regular.

I have no desire to kill any animal but I will protect my castle from any intruders.

GaryL

Reactions: Hoot Gibson
1 - 20 of 43 Posts