TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have my first week in Wyoming planned out for June. Last year I headed over to Challis and down along the Yankee Fork. After that I spent 3 nights along the Payette, near Crouch (Idaho).

I am considering the route(s) pictured here (from the site: bigskyfishing.com).

Map Line Slope Font Parallel

Anyone familiar with the area? Gravelly Range Road is what I am most interested in. Will truck/van the bike in from Alpine, WY and do the dispersed camping thing. I have been up through Henry's Fork and that area (gorgeous). This is to the west and will be new to me. If you have a favorite area, let me know. With current gas prices, I am going to the Sawtooth Range "next time"... I drove through Stanley last Fall and it looked like a cool spot to base-camp and explore from there. Fires were still going, so I had to change plans.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll make a call to the Ranger Station if I end up going there. I'll be tent camping, but perhaps I will use the van for shelter in that area. I follow grizzly-related articles and the annual reports that include maps of relocated problem bears. It's interesting to see how far south sightings are getting, and what ranges they expanding into. I've camped in the Absarokas in tent, but in an established campground. I didn't do any solo hiking. I keep a can of bear spray clipped to my day-pack and I am a fast runner (kidding!). I doubt I taste good...

Looks like Brown Bears are not quite into the Ruby Range:
Ecoregion Map World Atlas Parallel

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like a great ride!

If by chance you happen to favor whiskey be sure and stop at Willies Distillery in Ennis. They have the the best Rye Whiskey I've ever had and it's only available there at their store.

It's called Tobacco Root Seasonal Rye Whiskey, I was given a bottle as a gift. It's about a 6-7 hr drive one way for me, it's on my Bucket list, it's that good.

On another note, Wolves have been busy here in Idaho, the population has grown to the point of putting a bounty on them. All I'm not sure about Montana (but we are neighbors), a healthy side arm would be a good tool to take along.

Have a great Ride!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just thought about this: the Forest Service cabin that are for rent have a first day of reservations in mid-July. Further research makes me think the Gravelly Range Road has gates and they do not open until July. I need to call the Madison District Ranger Station and ask if they have gates and if they are open on hard-dates or by road conditions. The road is over 7k ft. in elevation... and my Wyoming camping is at just over 5k ft. Summer is such a short season up there! I am in San Diego, where we really don't think about the weather.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
I called the Ranger Station in Madison. The gates in the Gravelly Range are locked until July. There are some access points, but going around snow drifts is illegal.
I guess I will make other plans. My stay in Alpine, WY is still on.

·
Super Moderator
15,573 Posts
We have some single track trails (maybe others) which don't open until 1 July. Snow on the trails is one of the reasons. Last week I tried to go up a open all year (if you can) trail and there was so much tree fall and snow on the trail I didn't even get to begin the actual single track part of the trail. Some trails are closed at certain times for wildlife reason which I understand as well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally ordered a 1 gallon Rotopax for fuel. The deal came with a 1 gallon water container at $90 on Ebay. I have had the mount on my Manrack Wing for some time... just no can. I've been doing long rides with buddies this Spring, and 1.8 gallons o' high-priced "I Did That" Biden gas gets used up faster than I'd like (I am hitting reserve at about 97 to 99 miles).
I was planning to take 3 months and wander about The West, riding, camping and meeting new people... but with insane rental prices and obscene gas prices, I will modify/delay my plans. A truck is $1000 for 2 weeks! Luckily, I reserved a Hertz Van and locked in a price of $297 /week. 19 m.p.g. though. At least I can sleep in the van if I venture into Grizzly Country.
Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle

·
Registered
23,059 Posts
(y) That plan and van should work well. These small thumpers don't smell nearly as bad as an old 2-stroke when you share a sleeping spot in the van or simply while driving down the road relocating to next adventure base. Rotopax also don't vent obnoxious fumes inside.

Reactions: Allanb

·
Registered
2018 Tw, rickoshay, Shinko, tusk, on and on
475 Posts
Gorgeous country! I worked two summers on a ranch just south of the ruby reservoir. Been back a couple of times, but still not up into the gravellys. Hi on the list. Ennis, virginia city, sheridan, Dillon all neat little towns

1 - 13 of 13 Posts