TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Impressive.

Not to rain on your parade; but are those ammo boxes plastic?

Not that it's necessarily bad. Cuts weight; but I didn't know you could buy plastic replicas
Yes - plastic utility box, from northern tool. Plastic, but thick and rigid. The real, larger sized ammo cans are HEAVY! These are nice and light, easy to take on and off. At $20 each, I had to try them out.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/19247-cycle-racks-bag-supports-sport-utility-box-=-budget-panniers.html

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Got this idea from another site. Lets see yours!

My 1992 TW200, before and after.

The way I got it in late 2015:

Now, June 2016:

]
Quite the transformation. I'm always amazed at how we can make these TW's look like they went through one of those "make over" shows!:icon_thumright:

·
Registered
129 Posts
SkiPro that is a very handsome bike you have there!

They both look ready for about anything.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The header is off a 2000 Yamaha TTR225 Exhaust Header Pipe. I got it off eBay for $40. could hardly tell it was stainless, but I soaked it in an oxalic acid solution and some steel wool elbow grease. I had to chop about an inch off the end, as it is a tad too long stock. Otherwise, it bolted right up!

The main reason I got a SS pipe is because it's a lot quieter than the stock pipe. The SS pipe is a lot thicker and I guess that makes it quieter.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
The header is off a 2000 Yamaha TTR225 Exhaust Header Pipe. I got it off eBay for $40. could hardly tell it was stainless, but I soaked it in an oxalic acid solution and some steel wool elbow grease. I had to chop about an inch off the end, as it is a tad too long stock. Otherwise, it bolted right up!

The main reason I got a SS pipe is because it's a lot quieter than the stock pipe. The SS pipe is a lot thicker and I guess that makes it quieter.
Thank you. I've been watching them on ebay as well and they all seem to be corroded or something. Every now and then a nice one shows up. Thanks for the tip on how to clean it up. Where does one obtain oxalic acid? Will the DHS/FBI come for a visit :)

I was wondering on year as I was thinking about ordering new if i couldn't find a good used one. Are they all SS?

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Thank you. I've been watching them on ebay as well and they all seem to be corroded or something. Every now and then a nice one shows up. Thanks for the tip on how to clean it up. Where does one obtain oxalic acid? Will the DHS/FBI come for a visit :)

I was wondering on year as I was thinking about ordering new if i couldn't find a good used one. Are they all SS?
I got one for $15 from the local motorcycle junkyard. I haven't done anything with it yet and it looks just the same as the photo.

I've never heard of oxalic acid either. Probably has a commoners name like "milk" or something!:p I was gonna use Brasso and elbow grease.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You can get the acid on Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJUT9X4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very safe to handle, it's in a lot of foods. I throw a couple scoops with water in a kitty litter tray and let soak. There is almost zero rubbing and even then, I use 000 or 0000 steel wool to buff it out.

BTW, if you are wondering what you would do with 5 pounds of acid, read the reviews for ideas. Everything from cleaning concrete to RV's. Lots of uses. Won't hurt any plants. Heck, taste it after you mixed it with water. Tastes about like lemon-aid acidic-wise.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Yes they might, but when they come over they are going to high-five you for having an awesome looking exhaust. They will drink a beer, smoke a cigar and say put that lemon juice in your tea and have a steak with that spinach containing oxalic acid. Oh, it's in most metal cleaners also. Bar keepers friend will polish a header out in no time. Make a paste and soak for a few hours then polish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have bar keepers friend... nice!

·
Registered
158 Posts
They look GREAT and the idea is not far fetched one iota.

Subdued Yammys have been used militaries in the past. South Africa and Finland are the first two come to mind.

Finland's Yamaha.
1024px-Yamaha_XT_350.JPG

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ya know the more I look at this
To my eye this one says army

IMG_0080_zpsbjxzhuqn.jpg

and this one says marines
IMG_8632_zpspf4ors2t.jpg

The more convinced I am these two should be