TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my old Tdub back from my kid. He let someone borrow it and you guessed it, that person hit a parked car. Don't think the frame is bent but the top tubes are bent to hell.

Any hope that the lower part of the forks are gonna be OK?

Anything else I should be looking for as far as damage in this area?

Wheel seems to be OK and the handle bars are bent to hell.

The bike has been sitting for 2 years in a garage. He had the good sense to drain out what was left in the tank and then run it dry. It started right up but I am wondering what else to look for as far as that goes.

Changing the oil and plugs and giving it an all over look see but I could be missing some things.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
174 Posts
Got my old Tdub back from my kid. He let someone borrow it and you guessed it, that person hit a parked car. Don't think the frame is bent but the top tubes are bent to hell.

Any hope that the lower part of the forks are gonna be OK?

Anything else I should be looking for as far as damage in this area?

Wheel seems to be OK and the handle bars are bent to hell.

The bike has been sitting for 2 years in a garage. He had the good sense to drain out what was left in the tank and then run it dry. It started right up but I am wondering what else to look for as far as that goes.

Changing the oil and plugs and giving it an all over look see but I could be missing some things.

Thanks,

Chris
hard to tell without pics, but they are pretty hard to bend. I'd put them on some blocks and check the axial runout with a dial indicator to be sure.

might be cheaper to get a pair of forks off here or ebay then trying to find or buy 2 new uppers.

i'd check the stem neck very carefully for any cracks as that'll take the brunt of the impact.

also the lower end of the frame near the front of the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to get a better look today when I get off work. I am hoping it is still a fixable unit.
hard to tell without pics, but they are pretty hard to bend. I'd put them on some blocks and check the axial runout with a dial indicator to be sure.

might be cheaper to get a pair of forks off here or ebay then trying to find or buy 2 new uppers.

i'd check the stem neck very carefully for any cracks as that'll take the brunt of the impact.

also the lower end of the frame near the front of the engine.

·
Registered
386 Posts
got my friends straightened after he bike was stolen n trashed, it was $30 here(thailand) but guess will cost more in US, thinks its ok to do on a TW but wouldn't risk it on a big/faster bike….had to send forks n head set together

·
Registered
853 Posts
Costs about 25 to have forks straightened if they are not bent so far that the tubes are creased. If theyre creased theyre done for. Ebay forks are cheap, id reccomend getting a new set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts