TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brief back story. Acquired the bike, a 2000 with a little over 7,000 miles on it about 15 months ago. With thanks to a couple of members here, I've picked up some replacement parts, and bought others. It's been a slow process, made longer by all the usual stuff that goes with being a working guy with a young family.

So, this afternoon I finally got some time to work on the bike. I was just hoping to get it running and change the tires so I could haul it across Texas to my parents for the Independence Day weekend, to go exploring dirt roads with my boys, them on their Coleman minibikes. After pulling both the front and rear wheels, I thought I'd take 'em to the local Yamaha shop for the tire swap. I should add hear, I'm pretty sure this bike was wearing the original tires that came with the bike, the Death Wing, etc. When I got to the shop, the said I'd have to leave it and might be able to pick it up on Tuesday. I started to do it, then I thought: heck, man up and tackle it yourself--you'll lean how to do it, have the pride of having done it yourself, and have it done by the end of the day. Well, it didn't work out that way.

After grabbing a couple of tire irons at Harbor Freight, I went home and started the job. Breaking the bead was tough, but with the help of my stellar 8 year old--my youngest son, but he will work like a man--we finally got it done.

Then, we hugged hell trying to break the tire over the rim. I initially had it on a Homer bucket, but eventually pulled the spare off the jeep to get better leverage, and man did I get better leverage. Sadly, however, instead of breaking the tire over the rim, I as you can see in the photos, I bent the crap out of the rim.

I'll confess my ignorance, I've never replaced a tire on a rim, other than on a bicycle and Razor scooter. My entire prep consisted of watching YouTube vids by TDub's Kid and Wranglstar, pretty good vids--and nobody bent a rim.

So, where did I go wrong? Was it the 20 year old tires? That's my guess. That old tire is stiff, stiff, stiff. Only after I bent the rim it occurred to me I should have cut the old tire off. Other than just taking it to the shop, is there anything else I should have tried?

Thanks in advance for the education! Also, where is the best place to pickup a new rear wheel?

TW tire & rim 1.jpg TW tire & rim 2.jpg TW tire & rim 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Who's that good looking young "wrench" ?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
More heat!
Bigger hammer!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Brief back story. Acquired the bike, a 2000 with a little over 7,000 miles on it about 15 months ago. With tanks to a couple of members here, I've picked up some replacement parts, and bought others. It's been a slow process, made longer by all the usual stuff that goes with being a working guy with a young family.

So, this afternoon I finally got some time to work on the bike. I was just hoping to get it running and change the tires so I could haul it across Texas to my parents for the Independence Day weekend, so I could go exploring dirt roads with my boys, with them on their Coleman minibikes. After pulling both the front and rear wheels, I thought I'd take 'em to the local Yamaha shop for the tire swap. I should add hear, I'm pretty sure this bike was wearing the original tires that came with the bike, the Death Wing, etc. When I got to the shop, the said I'd have to leave it and might be able to pick it up on Tuesday. I started to do it, then I thought: heck, man up and tackle it yourself--you'll lean how to do it, have the pride of having done it yourself, and have it done by the end of the day. Well, it didn't work out that way.

After grabbing a couple of tire irons at Harbor Freight, I went home and started the job. Breaking the bead was tough, but with the help of my stellar 8 year old--my youngest son, but he will work like a man--we finally got it done.

Then, we hugged hell trying to break the tire over the rim. I initially had it on a Homer bucket, but eventually pulled the spare off the jeep to get better leverage, and man did I get better leverage. Sadly, however, instead of breaking the tire over the rim, I as you can see in the photos, I bent the crap out of the rim.

I'll confess my ignorance, I've never replaced a tire on a rim, other than on a bicycle and Razor scooter. My entire prep consisted of watching YouTube vids by TDub's Kid and Wranglstar, pretty good vids--and nobody bent a rim.

So, where did I go wrong? Was it the 20 year old tires? That's my guess. That old tire is stiff, stiff, stiff. Only after I bent the rim it occurred to me I should have cut the old tire off. Other than just taking it to the shop, is there anything else I should have tried?

Thanks in advance for the education! Also, where is the best place to pickup a new rear wheel?

View attachment 194718 View attachment 194720 View attachment 194722
What did you do wrong? You must have the strength of a gorilla. First you have to break the bead. Once the bead is broke you push the tire to the center over the ridge on the edge towards the inside of the rim, this allows the extra space needed to get the tire over the edge of the rim with your tire tool. Did you let the air out of the tire first? Looking at your pic it still looks aired up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree with LT. With some heat and the proper tools you should be able to get the rim pretty close to normal. I had a good sized dent in the rim on a used TW I picked up and I found the steel is fairly soft and I was able to straighten it to where it was almost unnoticeable. Granted... it wasn’t as large a dent as yours. I’d call yours more of a “flap” then a dent.
The tires are so big and cushy on these things, if it isn’t perfect you won’t really notice it while riding. If you take it to a shop to straighten it, depending on where you take it, you may come close to the cost of a new rim which costs $189 on Partzilla.
Ken is correct, you have to get the tire on the opposite side of where you’re using the tire irons down into the grove where the spokes attach. This allows some slack to get the other side of the tire over the rim.
Hammers, heat, and some wood blocks. You can do it!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Looks like you didn't push the tire down into the well of the rim. I've straightened rims with a large adjustable wrench. Even used a pipe on the handle to get leverage. Trick is to go slow and work it a bit at a time. moving and readjusting the wrench as you go.
Ebay usually has wheels available. But then you gotta wait.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Double Holy Crap. Were those car/truck tire irons long enough for you? As you can see every inch artificially increases your inner strength, Ha.

I will usually break the bead on a long-term tire with a rubber mallet all-around & both sides to make sure nothing is sticking or stuck. Then crush (it's an old tire anyway) one side of the tire with a carpenters clamp pushing it into the center of the rim so I can start spooning thenoppgsite side out and around. I've never changed a tire on a TW but if you are familiar with the brand Heidenau they have a model called the K37. They are set-up for sidecar duty and the sidewalls are so hard you'd think they were made of steel. Similar to your situation I went too far and cut into the sidewall exposing, yeah, steel. That was a very expensive education. I now use liquid wax as a lubricate (Hondaline) instead of soap, powder for the tube and a set of real motorcycle spoons that are a bit bigger than my hand. As well as the clamp and hammer. Lesson learned. Your tires which you suspect at being original and thus almost 20 years old must have had the consistency of a piece of hardwood and won out over the mild steel of the rim. Worse things could have happened like you riding on them and they shattered like glass rather then just lose air. Good to be proactive about what you ride on and what stops you (brakes).

You can fix that but if you are going to do extended highway riding at top speeds I'd find another, perhaps a used one. For local and dirt riding it looks like it'll be okay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, Darth. That's Saxon, usually call him Sax. He wasn't a planned addition, but God sure sent us a gift with that kid!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Ken! Yep, I did deflate and we broke the bead all the way around, but I did not get the tire to the center, as you described. We tried. I walked and jumped on it, and I weigh 200 lbs. I couldn't get it more than 1/2 inch down pas the initial shoulder at any given point. I don't have the strength of a gorilla, but the looks, maybe! I think it was the added leverage of the Harbor Freight auto tire iron, poor technique and that old tire that did it. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Thanks, LT! Nothing left to loose with that wheel, so I think I'll give it a shot.
I've fought this fight a couple times myself. Getting the stock rear tire off was difficult but I managed without any rim damage...during the removal!

I replaced the stock tire with an ATV tire. This was way worse trying to get this tire on the rim than it was to take off the stock tire. I succeeded but I bent my rim in a few places trying to get the ATV tire mounted though not as deep as you did.

I used a brass drift and hammer and pounded the bent rim area's back into place as best I could. Very not pretty but I'm still using this rim (and ATV tire) to this day and it's been 3-4 years. Next time I'll just have a tire shop mount a new tire onto the rim. For an ATV tire I'll seat the bead at home. Wish I owned a good tire machine but then again the expense isn't worth the number of times I'd use it.

The good news is front tire changing is easy!

Take care.

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
A good lube helps. Just ask Nancy Pilosi, Miss Lube Rack of 1959.

MISS-LUBE-RACK-1955.jpg
Actually that supposedly is just fake news circulated by political pundits back in 2013...does look like her though.:p Swimsuits and Nancy have come along way since.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts