TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are posts on batterys on here, but I can't seem to find anything. Is there a better battery than the common "wal mart" battery and where could I get one? With no kickstarter, it would be a good thing to have a battery that is more dependable than normal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a POWERPACK in my TW right now, I know they are cheap but it has lasted two years and it was only $35 might not get this summer out of it.

I just replaced a battery on my King Quad with a Yuasa High Performance one this spring, it has a good reserve capacity and I have been told they are good batteries, for $125 they should be!

You get what you pay for, I think I will buy another Yuasa High Perf simply because they dont seem to self-discharge as fast as the Powerpack, my tender will shut off in 10 mins on my Yuasa and run for hours on the POWERPACK in my TW. I always ride them over 10km they have a chance to recover from starting.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
"Best" is subjective. I got 4 years and 47,000 miles out of a properly maintained OEM battery in conditions ranging from 8*F to 112*F. The battery died from neglect when I was ill and could not properly maintain it.

Replacement was a cheap Chinese AGM from ebay that cost about $35 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YTZ7S-GT77S-ATV-Honda-TRX90-TRX-90-CRF150-BATTERY-/180719018307?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a13b16143

For the low cost, deleting the acid-dripping vent hose that always seems to cause problems over time, very low self-discharge rate, more efficient recharge ability in low speed and short trip commuting, not having to worry about spilled acid when the bike is dropped, and the freedom from maintaining a conventional battery in a difficult-to-reach installation, I believe the Chinese AGM may be the best value on the market today.

If I wanted the ultimate battery I'd build a pack of genuine A123 26650 Cylindrical Cell nanophpsphate lithium ion cells, at a cost of about $135.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
on my ttr225 dirtbike the PO had put a cheapie walmart battery in that really didn't fit right but was new and was fine for a few years. When it finally died I put in a sealed interstate battery. cranked alot faster and no acid to worry about but $85 instead of $35.....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Two of my TW's have Odyssey PC310 AGM batteries in them. They are very pricey and can be hard to find (sometimes) but I have had great luck with them; the one in my wife's daily-ridden TW has been installed since 9/2006. The one in my TW which gets ridden a couple of times a month (if it's lucky) has been in since 12/2007.

A third TW I bought last spring came to me with a generic AGM batt. I think it's three years old and seems to work fine. This is on a bike which gets ridden once a month, many times less. I don't charge the batteries in my motorcycles when their not being used. I should but I don't.

As a quick aside I recently purchased a used '99 Fourtrax 400 quad which came to me needing a battery. For a quad which will get used infrequently I could not justify the expense of an Odyssey for it (it would have used the same PC310 as the TW's). Instead I picked-up an AGM battery from my local Batteries Plus store. It's made by X-2, is an AGM, will fit in a TW and cost $80. In the past month the quad has been on two trips and so far the new battery is working well; it turns the big-bore motor in that quad over quick and the lights seem very bright. I'll be curious to see how it holds-up. If it does well over the next couple of years than when the TW's need replacement batteries they may get these cheaper AGM batteries as well. According to the sales guy at Batteries Plus Odyssey makes the cheaper X-2 AGM battery. Batteries Plus sells both but the cheaper X-2 is almost $100 cheaper than the Odyssey.

As I've stated in previous battery threads where I've been flamed for my choice of such an expensive battery for my TW's, I will post when one of the four Odyssey AGM batteries I currently own fail. In addition to the TW's I'm running larger Odyssey AGM batteries in my two VW-powered dune buggies. So far none have failed and the batteries in the 'Buggies see some hard usage (lots of storage and heavy draws when they are used).

Kevin

·
Registered
457 Posts
+2 on the TruGel but shop around. The link showed one at Motorcycle Superstore for $67.00 . Our shop sells them for $47 which is the MSRP.

Another option is the Shorai batteries. Pricey, but the best there is. They have two for the TW, and they are both about 4 1/2 pounds lighter than stock. A stock Yuasa YB7C-A puts out about 110 Cold Cranking Amps. The Shorai has a 135CCA version for about $115 and an incredible 210 CCA version for about $150. They are good for 5-6 years with neglected use and 8-10 years under ideal conditions. They also do not regularly require a battery tender to be connected unless you have a clock or something creating a draw. In normal use it can easily sit for several months and still have plenty of reserve to start your bike.

Just more food for thought.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Where did you find life expectancy for the Shorai Lithium

From the Shorai website:

"Q. How long will my LFX battery last?

A.That depends on many factors. Under the worst conditions, a lead acid battery may last only a few weeks and under the best about seven years

(top-quality brands with regular use). In between you will find a wide variety of user experiences. Our research indicates an average of about 2 1/2

to 3 years lifespan for lead-acid. Under the same average usage conditions, we expect Shorai LFX to last roughly double, or 5 to 6 years. Under

ideal usage and storage conditions, we expect 8 to 10 years to be achievable. Due to their lack of sulfation and slow-self discharge, Shorai LFX

increase battery life most for users who sometimes store their vehicles for weeks or months at a time, and don't want to or can't use a battery

tender. "

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

jb

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I' placed a Gel Battery 12 volts 6 Amp.

My motor bike has Kick… Engine 236 cc...

No problem with this battery

Is your 236cc motor 72mm piston and a 58mm stroke? If so

where did you get the piston?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I am sure there are posts on batterys on here, but I can't seem to find anything. Is there a better battery than the common "wal mart" battery and where could I get one? With no kickstarter, it would be a good thing to have a battery that is more dependable than normal.

There is a product out there worth looking at called Inox mx2 battery conditioner that gives batteries 2 to 3 times more life, holds a charge longer and they give one extra year warranty on a new battery. I am going to test it on a used battery I have around and let you know what I find.

http://youtu.be/bDdJYb13_po

http://youtu.be/OB9T7PzufhI

·
Registered
378 Posts
I' placed a Gel Battery 12 volts 6 Amp.

My motor bike has Kick… Engine 236 cc...

No problem with this battery

Is your 236cc motor 72mm piston and a 58mm stroke? If so

where did you get the piston?

I'placed a crankshaft of 225 cm³, with a piston of 72 mm YFM 250

(J'ai placé un vilebrequin de 225 cm³ avec un piston de 72 mm YFM 250)

Purchase makes on...Ebay.USA...

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The Shorai LFX is the same technology as the ultimate A123 I refered to above, at a better price. Nice to see the technology in a more motorcycle friendly form factor. The extra investment would make sense for me since I keep bikes forever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts