TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what brake shoes everyone has tried and if there was much of an improvement over the the stock shoes. Mine need replaced soon and just started to look around. EBC, Vesrah, Import, grooved shoes were some that I found. Looking to hear how these performed over the stock shoes. By the way my TW is a 1991, so I will be replacing shoes in front and rear. 24,500 miles on the stock shoes, not too bad!

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
Given the braking potential of these bikes, I wouldn't bother with grooved pads, just blow them clean if they start to squeal

What you do want to look for is "sintered" brake shoes - something with small metal particles embedded into them that make stopping easier

Most modern shoes are "sintered" - but some are more sintered than others - (and still unlikely to wear out the hub because of the crap braking potential) - but every little helps

When you do change shoes, expect less performance at first until the shoes find the hub - they'll need "bedding in" same as everything else ......

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
My Merrell brand wore out way too soon. View attachment 121778
My Dad built me a mini bike out of water pipe and a modified bicycle front end with a tiller engine for power. He never did get around to adding brakes but I rode it anyhow. Wore my Mom's boots out during summer vacation. Looked a lot like your shoes. She didn't find out until cold weather. Dad got blamed because of the mini bike not having brakes.:D Had some good times on my first vehicle that I didn't have to pedal.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I never noticed the brakes being an issue on my 1993. It seems to stop easily and quickly along with my 1 gear down shift. I don't like the brakes with zero pressure applied on the new bikes, that is why they need ABS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts