TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Arizona, that's about all there is to ride on when riding on BLM land. Any suggestions on front tire choice that handles this type riding best? With gravel or loose rock, it's always a challenge! Thanks! RW

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
IRC GP-1 Trials is my favorite, visually it is a clone to the more widely recommended Shinko244.
th-13.jpeg .
Not as knobby as some like but gives a smooth sure ride on a variety of off road terrains. Tighter trials like pattern has less voids to let rocks pierce carcass and overlapping tread blocks give a stutter-free ride and continuity of grip while cornering. Knobbies may shed mud better but I didn't like the feel, especially cornering on hard surfaces.

Others will disagree, this may become a spirited discussion.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I'm thinking of going to the Shinko 700 as it's the closest thing I can find to my Maxxis 6006 that is discontinued.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Shink700 looks interesting with big staggered tread blocks.
th-14.jpeg
I just gravitated to the more trials oriented tire to match my trail bike riding style w/ occasional wet rock faces where tread flexibility is desirable. Shinko 700 does look like a good candidate.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Shink700 looks interesting with big staggered tread blocks.
View attachment 19575
I just gravitated to the more trials oriented tire to match my trail bike riding style w/ occasional wet rock faces where tread flexibility is desirable. Shinko 700 does look like a good candidate.
I really like the big blocks of my Maxxis 6006 and this is as close as I could find. I think TWROG has this tire on his wife's bike.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I really like the big blocks of my Maxxis 6006 and this is as close as I could find. I think TWROG has this tire on his wife's bike.
I got em on both bikes now, I like em, wish they made them for the rear too. And shes my girlfriend...............you cant marry me off that easy :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What's your preference? Handling at any cost? Tire life versus performance?

The Dunlop 606 is a good tire for both on and off road. Mine didn't last real long but they are bi-directional so they can be re-mounted and extend the performance/life a little bit. I'm running a Pirelli MT 21 right now and it's still a little wishy/washy in loose gravel but still ten times more predictable than the death wing. Both handle quite well on pavement in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Here's some pictures of the MT21 on the bike.

MT21 001.JPG

MT21 003.JPG

Just to give give you my perspective, it's kind of like owning a Vette. Where can you actually use it to it's full potential? Certainly not on public roads and highways. I have had the Duro Power grip and the MT21 into some hardy leans through tight corners on pavement. Do they grip like an Avon 3D Ultra? I wouldn't know. Where you can unleash the awesome power of the mighty TW200, off road, where there are no cops, then you can use them to their full extreme and intent.

...and they don't do too bad on dry pavement either.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have experience using 3 of theses tires on the back of the WR.
The IRC GP-1 Trials I found ok on hard pack and street, but slides out on gravel and will not shed mud. I hate this tire. It is the only tire I have ever been able to get a cut in the side wall and it has less then 400 km on it.
The D606 has great traction every where, even on wet pavement and I found it lasted longer than the MT21.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm going to say the trials type tires...the Shinko 241 or Pirelli MT43. SOO much better than stock off road, not as aggressive as some of the above options, so better on road. I think these are great options for your dirt/gravel inquiry.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm VERY impressed by the Shinko 241 trials tire I put on the front of mine, especially when it comes to gravel. It seems to stick as well in gravel as it does in regular dirt.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm still liking my 5.10 k270. A lot of my trail riding is gravel-covered ruts interspersed with rocks. My typical riding style is to stick to the high spots and put my tires on top of the rocks, but lately I've been intentionally riding the ruts and climbing out of them when they change direction. This puts me side hilling on gravel quite a bit, but it just digs in and claws its way through.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am very happy with my Kenda k270 front tire. Especially good on gravel roads, tracks straight and carves in the corners. However I have the 4.00 x18 which goes against the fatter is better thinking. I like the lower un-sprung weight, lighter steering feel, and carving rather than floating of the 4.00 vs the larger sizes. Still looks plenty knarly too!

Best regards, MAC

P.S. If you run a K270 on the street you might like max pressure, 30-33psi for best stability.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts