TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input on what GPS you guys think is the best for on and off road. Looking to do the Transmass trail this season, and trying to find a GPS that is easy to use and can run downloaded routes. Thank you!
TC

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good Question. I been thinking that myself, what GPS people are using?

I've been using my iPhone with MotionX-GPS it's been pretty awesome. You can leave pins and photos along the way, and load and map sys you'd like, I run google. You can draw a path on Google Earth, export it as a KML, then convert it to a GPX file, then you can run it with MotionX on your phone.

Free online converter:
GPS Visualizer: Web interface to GPSBabel

Hope this helps, probably many options but this is the one I've used! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I mounted a Tourtech for the Garmin Zumo from my R1200GS. I figured there would be times when I would have no Cell signal and I thought the topo maps could be helpful. However, on the street, the vibration proved to be too much for the Garmin. I have had to have the Garmin replaced twice, each time it failed it was mounted to the TW. I have a Ram Mount X Grip and I use my iPhone most of the time. I find the iPhone has a lot more to offer over the Garmin. See video below of the Tourtech mount.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Cost?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ive got a garmin zumo 595lm mounted to a touratech cradle on my africa twin. it has taken a good beating so far and seems to perform well. I was considering another cradle for the tw. Interesting you've had issues from vibration. worries me a little. To the OP I think these larger garmins are a good choice because they're easy to use and see while you're mobbing in the wild. Cost wise they're steep. I think the 595 and mount are 900 or so.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been using View Ranger app on my android. The basic app is free and has a very good map selection.... downloadable, no cell service needed. The paid version has some more high definition maps, but isn't necessary. There are tracking features for motorcyle, 4x4, hiking, boating, etc. It will track speed and elevation against a map. I'm running it on a Samsung S7 and it works great.... very accurate and quick. I have a USB output setup on my bike. Screenshot_20180504-081421.png

·
Registered
167 Posts
Garmin Montana 600t, +AMPS mount with OSM maps and then some added individual state maps with better definition of topo.

Maps free from gpsfiledepot.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i have been using the garmin montana 650, but the TW rattled the guts out of it and was replaced with a new one. the new one is having issues also. when it packs it in, i will go the cell phone route. i not happy with garmin products. 2 gps and 3 cameras in 3 years.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have been using the garmin montana 650, but the TW rattled the guts out of it and was replaced with a new one. the new one is having issues also. when it packs it in, i will go the cell phone route. i not happy with garmin products. 2 gps and 3 cameras in 3 years.
How do you have it mounted ?

I have had mine for 3 years, using it on the DR and it has been treated ruff.
+30 K miles so far.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
On The TW and DT, I use a Garmin GPSmap 62s in a RAM mount and have had no issues other than I scratched the screen.
I have a Garmin Zumo 395LM mounted on the VStrom and so far it is holding up.
Cell phone is probably the way to go as you do not need cell service to us the map apps.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Ive got a garmin zumo 595lm mounted to a touratech cradle on my africa twin. it has taken a good beating so far and seems to perform well. I was considering another cradle for the tw. Interesting you've had issues from vibration. worries me a little. To the OP I think these larger garmins are a good choice because they're easy to use and see while you're mobbing in the wild. Cost wise they're steep. I think the 595 and mount are 900 or so........

Soooo that would be like $1800 cdn. Guess I'll just get a compass ....or look for the big dipper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts