TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best value in a GPS receiver for off-road motorcycle use right now?

There may be information on the forum, but I haven't found much. Help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Me too.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I sure would like to give you a definitive answer, but there are so many variables and what one person likes doesn't necessarily work for another person. Same goes for value. Someone may think $300 is a good value, and another may think $50 is where the value is. Here are 2 of the many threads on gps and map topics here on the forum. You will find many more posts if you type in the following in a Google search: site:tw200forum.com gps

http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/9018-gps-suggestions.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/9484-navigation-gps-maps-google-earth.html

P.S. For what it's worth. The smaller handheld units meant for off-road/hiking are harder to read because of the screen size and in some cases, because us old guys have to wear progressive or bi-focal glasses to see the darn thing. The larger screen models meant for street use are easy to see. Some of these have maps loaded which include most forest service type roads, but not the trails. Some folks are trying to download topo maps to their street gps's, and vice versa, street maps to topo gps's, but I haven't personally seen one yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Garmin etrex 20 which will run you about $200. You can download garmins Basecamp program free, its kinda clunky but it works. Then go to GPS File depot.com and download the free topo map for your state. Works like a charm. You will get a 1:24,000 topo on your handheld. The gps screen is a little small, you won't be reading while you ride, but it has served me well in Idaho where one wrong turn can make a big difference. You will be able to download your saved routes from GPS to computer and its really cool to know exactly where you have been as well as distance, elevation change, ave speed etc.

I won't leave home without it. I bought an aftermarket case, clip and lanyard and just clip it to my jacket pocket when riding.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have a Garmin etrex 20 which will run you about $200. You can download garmins Basecamp program free, its kinda clunky but it works. Then go to GPS File depot.com and download the free topo map for your state. Works like a charm. You will get a 1:24,000 topo on your handheld. The gps screen is a little small, you won't be reading while you ride, but it has served me well in Idaho where one wrong turn can make a big difference. You will be able to download your saved routes from GPS to computer and its really cool to know exactly where you have been as well as distance, elevation change, ave speed etc.

I won't leave home without it. I bought an aftermarket case, clip and lanyard and just clip it to my jacket pocket when riding.

I have the same unit, i got one on closeout at Best buy for 70 bucks which is a heck of a deal. I bought the garmin toop which has a lot of hiking trails and i have downloaded other map tacks like for the puppydog and trans MA trail. I have mine mounted up on a ram mount attached to the handlebar and hard wired it to the battery too. I dont use it on the road much, i have turn by turn in my phone that is also on the bars that will talk bluetooth into my helmet speakers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got fed up with Garmin's tiny XXXpensive topographic offerings, and for a lot less $$$ bought a 7" Samsung tablet, and downloaded Back Country Navigator.
It sits in the map compartment of my tank bag.
I've downloaded all the shop manuals for the 3 Yamahas, I keep books downloaded, it takes great pics and video, works in WIFI spots, and I can actually SEE the thing without taking off my helmet/goggles and putting on reading glasses.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It may not be the best value, but I would argue that the Montana is the best dirt motorcycle GPS. I've had mine for three years now and wouldn't trade it for any other. I can actually read the screen while I'm riding at almost any speed. I have a Zumo on the BMW which has an even bigger screen, but I still prefer the Montana for dirt. I still have a 76C, but while I like the hard zoom buttons, the screen is useless above about 5 mph. I only use it for hiking now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It may not be the best value, but I would argue that the Montana is the best dirt motorcycle GPS. I've had mine for three years now and wouldn't trade it for any other. I can actually read the screen while I'm riding at almost any speed. I have a Zumo on the BMW which has an even bigger screen, but I still prefer the Montana for dirt. I still have a 76C, but while I like the hard zoom buttons, the screen is useless above about 5 mph. I only use it for hiking now.
^ I agree ^ (And I will echo that it is probably not the best value) I have several GPS devices but i very much prefer the Montana. I have powered mounts on my TW and my touring bike so that I can use it on either one. I like that it is easy to use and switch back and forth between functions while riding. I never go on a long trip without it.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Look around for used ones that haven't been used much. I bought the Oregon 450t new (a big mi$take!) and the four other used, less than $110 total, and they all work. However, the easiest by far to use GPS was the one Big D showed me on his cell phone -- of course you need cell reception. We were at Cow Mountain the Friday before the ride and his cell/gps showed exactly where we were and did it quicker and easier and easier to understand and see than my Legend H Garmin. I use the Legend H almost exclusively only because I don't want to learn how to use something else.

P3020001.JPG

Edit: One of the Vistas the rocker/joy stick doesn't work in all directions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cabela's has Garmin eTrex 20 refurbished by manufacturer for $120 with free shipping.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garminreg-eTrex174-20-Refurbished-GPS/1862704.uts

The eTrex 20 has some drawbacks with the small screen and less robust 12v connection, but it does have 1.7GB internal memory, SD card slot, better receiver and a small size. It is not ideal for adventure riding, but hopefully will suffice for trail riding where I don't mind stopping at intersections to check the GPS. I'm not sure now if I'll even mount it on the handlebar. I may just keep it in my pocket and refer to it when needed. It should be ideal for hiking and mountain biking too.

My previous GPS was a Garmin GPS II so my experience and knowledge is limited on the newer units.

This is not a recommendation but I did want to pass on this deal.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Cabela's has Garmin eTrex 20 refurbished by manufacturer for $120 with free shipping.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garminreg-eTrex174-20-Refurbished-GPS/1862704.uts

The eTrex 20 has some drawbacks with the small screen and less robust 12v connection, but it does have 1.7GB internal memory, SD card slot, better receiver and a small size. It is not ideal for adventure riding, but hopefully will suffice for trail riding where I don't mind stopping at intersections to check the GPS. I'm not sure now if I'll even mount it on the handlebar. I may just keep it in my pocket and refer to it when needed. It should be ideal for hiking and mountain biking too.

My previous GPS was a Garmin GPS II so my experience and knowledge is limited on the newer units.

This is not a recommendation but I did want to pass on this deal.
Sold out...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sold out...

Darn, that was quick! The forum on ADV mentioned them and said they were sold out at that time, but I tried anyway and they were back in stock. I bought one. Now they're sold out again. Sounds like Cabela's restocks from time to time, so you might check back every so often.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I use locus free app on my samsung s4 active. It will do everything I need it to do. It worked good in Utah and Colorado.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly, it's probably your phone. I've done over 40K miles in the past 2 years (including 4 trips to the Dragon in NC) and come to appreciate the utility of my iPhone. There are several apps, such as Tom Tom, that address the issue of being out of cell range by continuously downloading regional maps so when service is lost you can still navigate. I wired in a charging system so battery life isn't an issue. And with the Scala powerset I can enjoy Pandora the whole time. Spoiled by technology, though it's also nice to ride sans tunes, appreciate the "natural" soundtrack of the road.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good info here. Thinking maybe just getting a tank bag, putting my Magellan from my car in there to use in case I take a wrong turn. I'll need to mount a 12v outlet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts