TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Best handle bars

9K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Schmitty 
#1 ·
Lots of talk about handle bars , tires etc on this forum and I have taken it all in and modified the bike a bit from all your suggestion to try to avoid the pitfalls you guys have experienced But I would like to know what you think are the best bars I am 6 foot and I am use to standing on the pegs in the rough stuff and letting the bike work under me . When I stand on the TW I feel like I am going over the bars . I am not too hot on risers but if that's the way the tribe votes that is probably the way I will go. Money is not an issue and I can make longer cables and order longer brake lines . I just want a better feel to the bike . going to stay with the 7/8 inch bars too.
Thanks in advance , your help in this matter is greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Hi greenbomb, a lot of riders here are running the Pro Taper high atv bars. Some are running Renthal bars, some are running risers, and some are running both bars and risers. I'm sure that you'll get a lot more feedback from taller riders, but I'm a shorty, and I'm still running Tusk 30mm bar risers with the stock bars. At least that is some place to start your research. Good luck, and happy riding!

Reactions: greenbomb
#3 ·
I use home built risers that raise the bars 1.5" and bring them forward 1.5". Stock cables still work and it's MUCH easier to stand up. Also easier to move forward on the seat for steep hills with the forward offset. More comfortable in the seated position too. If you can do your own machining or now someone who can, this is a great and cheap way to go. The metal was scrap steel laying around at work. The only thing to buy was longer bolts. If you are interested, I can post pictures.

Reactions: greenbomb
#6 ·
Thanks guys
Mel and Scottie . I want to buy the stuff that's the best , not make it . $$$ always an issue . don't want to waste it but as a senior don't want to die with it either . TOOLBOX , steel bars have always bent on me is the past The Renthals and Pro tapers spring back a bit, worth the $$ by not having to redo. . MEL , I use to be in Fairfield Ca. Al the BIG MONEY is in San Obiste where U R . :D . Anyway the post is young . lets see what happens . BTW Nice Pics Toolbox and I do like narrow bars , gets though the trees better and more rigid . Don't sell yourself short IRCCPER . Its easier to work under stuff and your always the lead man in a cell extraction . Hard to shoot over a tall fat guy

#9 ·
I was just investigating this yesterday. My 91 TW has Pro Taper, ATV- HI, SE bars and I love them. I am an inch short of 6 feet and the bars change the entire feel in a lot of good ways. There is no part number for the Pro Taper bars that I could find so I called my favorite supplier, Lytleracinggroup.com , 877-431-8100 and Patrick was able to provide the right part number and offered a good price of $55. Take care of those who will take the time to take care of us!

You will not need risers with the ATV hi bars and the stock cables work fine with a slight re routing of them. It is about as far as you can go with stock cables.

If you try to look up Prp Taper they have all sorts of confusing rise, rake and back set numbers. MX guys who know what they want can figure this out but what works for our TWs is Pro Taper- ATV-HI, SE and the part number at the above supplier is 025257. These bars also give you more room for mounting stuff like bark busters, GPS and phones and are all marked incrementally if you want to cut them down to go through tight trails.

GaryL

#10 · (Edited)
This is a post I made on another thread about bars that might be helpful.
I have ATV High bend bars on my '95 and ATV Raptor bend bars on my '08....neither have risors. I'm 6' and like the Raptor bend much better for the times I stand.

For reference, all ATV bends (might have to click on it to see better):
Text Line Font Parallel Diagram

#12 ·
You guys are Great
The pro Tapers SE , SE stands for Seven Eights 7/8 The ATV bend is the highest at 160mm black 02-5257, platinum 02-5279, silver 02-5235 , Lytleracinggroup.com has an EBAY store For $70 . Might be cheaper on a phone order at 1 877 431 8100 ask for Patrick Tell them Gary L sent you
The Pro Tapers are Aluminum Bars . Had some on my Honda dirt bike for years and never bent them even going over backwards a few times
Next highest is the Raptor bar at 143mm , cool name but lower . think as of now I would get the ATV bend and just call it a Raptor :rolleyes:
As of now the ATV bend has the highest vote . BUT the jury is still not in .

#18 ·
Since no one has jumped in; I'll give this a shot and someone will correct me if needed.

BEND is where the bars turn upward from the clamps, and at what upward angle .

RISE is how high the grip area is above the clamps.

SWEEP is how far the bar ends come back towards the rider from the clamps with the bars straight upright.
Google "bicycle beach bars" for pics to give you a visual.

#23 ·
Greg, Thanks. Hey, I don't have those bars. I also have stock bars, but tush risers. I'm only 5'9". Those Fasst Flexx bars are the best out there if your riding through trees at high speed. But at, $350+, and the way I ride, not needed. I don't like the bend of the stock bars, so someday, I'll change them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.