TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, aside from the gear strapped to your bike for day trips or longer, do any of you use vests instead of backpacks? Something like the Klim Arsenal Vest?

KLIM Arsenal Vest (Tan) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGW7R5X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BzZsDbVMYJ83P

If so, do you like it? Any backdraws to a vest vs backpack as a rider?

I actually found some similar fishing vests I’m going to order and compare to see if they prove better than a standard backpack.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hmm. To date I either where a jacket or armor when I ride, so I have never really considered the vest. Backpacks have generally worked pretty well for me if I have to take more than just a few items. That vest on Amazon is pretty pricey! I mean you could get a nice backpack with a Camelbak in it for significantly cheaper than the cost of that vest I would think?

Also, I do have a little bag I strap to the Manracks rack on my TW, and that works for most things. So between that and my jacket pockets, I have seen no need for something like a vest. If I am going on a longer ride I am strapping things to the back regardless.

Good luck making your decision.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. To date I either where a jacket or armor when I ride, so I have never really considered the vest. Backpacks have generally worked pretty well for me if I have to take more than just a few items. That vest on Amazon is pretty pricey! I mean you could get a nice backpack with a Camelbak in it for significantly cheaper than the cost of that vest I would think?

Also, I do have a little bag I strap to the Manracks rack on my TW, and that works for most things. So between that and my jacket pockets, I have seen no need for something like a vest. If I am going on a longer ride I am strapping things to the back regardless.

Good luck making your decision.
Oh I agree, super expensive for some storage space... but I started thinking what vests out there were similar, and trying to leave as much of my army career as I can in the past and avoid tactical stuff... I stumbled across new style of fishing vests... these are not the canvas bags they used to be...

Anglatech Fly Fishing Backpack Vest Combo Chest Pack for Tackle Gear and Accessories, Includes Water Bladder, Adjustable Size for Men and Women https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017J75PLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mCZsDbA9ANVMA

This one is pricey too, but I ordered a couple others to compare in the 30-40 dollar range. We shall see...

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I guess this would all depend upon what you need to carry in such packs. The Scotty Vest has all sorts of pockets and compartments but I have never seen one for inspection. My many fishing vests and even a few fishing/vest/life jackets have lots of storage but I would not wear them for riding. I did have a nice magnetic mount tank bag made by GIVI that was also a backpack with straps when off the tank.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I like to spread out the weight to various locations on myself and the bike as to not weigh down any one area too much. There are also some other bags you can strap to your TW.

Tank bags

Front or rear fender bag

Molle bag systems make it so you can can transfer bags from being strapped to your tank to strapped to your backpack or vest. It's a great modular system if you're not stunting on your bike. Otherwise something more contained might be preferred.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I like the vest idea. But seems only time I need to carry that much stuff is when hiking. Then a day pack works best for me. On the bike I have a rack and panniers and a front bag. Enough room for the ten essentials, tools extra gas if needed, etc. Same here, in case of crash, don't want anything hard on me to inflict injury

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Vests offer convenient access , especially for bulky items like firearms, cameras, comm & navigation units. However after getting month long painful camera and cell shaped bruises on my rib cage from trail riding tip overs I am reluctant to recommend hard item storage on front torso without some sort of back-up armoring plate.
For the ~$180 for the KLM tactical Arsenal Vest with two built-in holster pouches I feel the lack of back-up plates is rather negligent.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vests offer convenient access , especially for bulky items like firearms, cameras, comm & navigation units. However after getting month long painful camera and cell shaped bruises on my rib cage from trail riding tip overs I am reluctant to recommend hard item storage on front torso without some sort of back-up armoring plate.
For the ~$180 for the KLM tactical Arsenal Vest with two built-in holster pouches I feel the lack of back-up plates is rather negligent.
I think that’s a more-than-fair assessment. I’m not really cool with the price vs what you get with the Klim vests, and regarding your getting-in-touch-with-technology experience... I wonder if whatever vest I settle on, I could buy some CE rated armor or some sheets of impact foam, cut and have them sewn in behind the front and back panels.

I like my ribs imprint free...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think that’s a more-than-fair assessment. I’m not really cool with the price vs what you get with the Klim vests, and regarding your getting-in-touch-with-technology experience... I wonder if whatever vest I settle on, I could buy some CE rated armor or some sheets of impact foam, cut and have them sewn in behind the front and back panels.

I like my ribs imprint free...
If you look a lot of the motorcycle armoured jackets, they basically have mesh pockets in which the armour is placed (easily removed for cleaning, etc.). I'm sure a seamstress could easily do the job.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1 on MOLLE gear. Get yourself a USGI FLC vest (Fighting Load Carrier.) They can be had for about $20 and are available in numerous camo patterns to suit your environment. Also, they have wide but thin straps and are designed to be worn without interfering with a backpack. I recommend the newer design with the zippered front. Check it out!
https://www.google.com/search?q=usgi+flc+vest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHg_r1_vbjAhWVK80KHe4DAL8Q_AUIEigC&biw=1536&bih=722
Lol, I rocked one of these during my first tour to Iraq back in 03-04. It’s nothing personal, but I’m trying my best to avoid tactical stuff, it’s a closed chapter and don’t want to deal with girlfriend comments if I got a molle vest.

But between us, the SADF M83 vest is what I would go with.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thank you for your service, Blake! I've just never been able to turn down the utility, quality, and cost of surplus GI gear. On the civilian side - the Tenzing BV-15 is an upland bird hunting vest I can recommend as a quality piece.

·
Registered
793 Posts
My two cents is to use the biggest mountainsmith hip pack. Theyre like 80 bucks and easily carry on front or rear of your body and are easy to strap to rack or handlebars. Has a wide waist belt and shoulder strap and a nice capacity. This is similar to the one I have.
Mountainsmith Day Lumbar Pack, Heritage Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015S7OOEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S9MuDb6SCR465

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Being a frugal sort I mounted a 1/2 milk crate on the OEM rack. It was free & works great. Sure it is ugly, but functional. The Tdub never won any beauty contests in any event. I also use a pair of cheap Stansport canvas saddle bags for moto camping & I can bungee a backpack onto the milk crate over the saddlebag strap which sits on the rear of the saddle. Funky but functional. Photo of milk crate below: ADB88460-FFFD-4AB5-8D84-E8A94019F014.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never liked the idea of a motorcycle vest. I think it will end up being heavier than you want it and when you get to work/store/friends house/restaurant are you going to take it off or walk around like Iron-man? Ryan F9 pointed out how some vests might have snags that catch on your riding gloves leaving you a tangled mess going down the road. If you crash or tip over wearing a vest with a few tools in the wrong spot they might injury you.

Advantage is unlike a tail bag you have the weight on you and you can lean with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts