TW200 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
In general I shy away from daypacks etc while riding. The reason being if you run out of talent & find yourself pavement surfing the straps can snag on any number of things making a bad situation worse. Better to carry stuff on the bike with tank bag, tail bag, panniers & such.

·
Registered
303 Posts
USWE makes a lot of really nice bags intended for things like running, mountain biking, enduro riding, ect. They're a little pricey compared to say, a JanSport from wally world, but not really any more than some of those vests or moto-specific packs from other brands.

The nice thing about the USWE packs is the strapping system. They make them with bouncing around in mind. If you've used a regular backpack on a bumpy trail it's annoyingly bouncing all over the place. The USWE packs have an elastic harness system so they fit tight and don't bounce around. I have one, it works as advertised and is comfortable to wear all day. Most have hydration bladders built in and they come in a few sizes, although none are massive.

I had one pack made by American Kargo, similar idea to the USWE packs but I didn't like it as much. You had to cinch it up really tight otherwise it still bounced around and then wasn't very comfortable. The hydration bladder was also really small, and you had to take the whole thing apart to fill it up which wasn't convenient whatsoever, pretty much guaranteed to spill half of it.

My buddy has a kind of unique chest protector made by an Australian company called Zac Speed. It has a fairly typical hardshell roost guard in front, but the back is a bag/hydration pack along with an interesting harness system. He likes it, says it doesn't bounce around. One of the straps broke and they have I guess a lifetime warranty since they posted replacement parts no question asked. The back plate is a solid, with the idea if you crash items in the bag won't poke into your pack.

There's lots of products out there. Revzilla has video reviews for most of them for a closer look.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for all the feedback, for now I bought some earthpak waterproof bags (20L) that I'll strap to the back for long trips... however I do like upnovr's idea of the oversized waist pack or the hunting rig that keeps your items at a lower center of gravity.

On a side note, for those mentioning the danger of tools on your person during a crash... who packs tools around on their person? I mean, I'm sure many have, but common sense says to me, wrenches are tougher than Blake's body, in a crash, wrench vs Blake... wrench win. And I'm not going home to explain why I got stabbed by a wrench to my girlfriend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm partial to panniers and a tank bag, brings down the center of gravity and leaves the rider free of clutter.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts