TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a ton of of great info on the forum for tires and such, but what about rims?

I'm thinking it might be wise to mount my OEM rear tire on a different rim and put my 50 tooth sprocket on it for trail riding. The current sprocket with road tires is a 45. I bought the 50 shortly after getting the bike, but ride mostly on the street and enjoy the speed afforded by the 45. If I had a second set of rims, I could keep both my street tires and off-road tires mounted and swap as needed.

But where is the best place to buy rims for the TW? I'd need the complete deal... rim, spokes, bearings and breaks. Does anyone sell the complete setup?

There are several front rims from my era (drum brakes) for sale on ebay. I'd considered that, but am leery of getting damaged goods. Has anyone else had good luck going this route? Is there anything to look for in the photos that would make one rim stand out over the others?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
It will cost you big no matter where you go if your looking for new.. eBay is a good choice, I have great luck there, Craig's list is good but usually a waiting game. If you have to have new you will need to order individual parts. I like stadium Yamaha and boats.net but there are plenty of others.

try searching motorcycle/auto salvage companies. Thy get a lot of crashed bikes.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
LuvNot I know those street tires look cool on your bike but I'll tell you I run a lot of street on stock rear and trail 241 on the front. I run a 45 tooth and ride trails. Our bikes have such low 1st and 2nd gears that I don't have any problem on trails. I love my setup for all around riding.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TWilight, that's incredibly helpful! Thank you for the offer and for looking. I can be patient and wait until the fall/winter season to look again. My wheels are silver, but I'm not fussy about color.

And TopPredator, thanks for that info! Good to know I'm still doing okay on a 45 sprocket. The Shinko SR 428 set I have are supposed to be dual sport, so unless I hit a lot of mud, I should be okay. If it appears this year will be a wet one, the Shinkos will be traded out for the OEM and the front replaced with a new Shinko 700 or Kenda K270.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
LuvNot the best way to pick up rims is to advertise on Craigslist. I put a wanted "wanted TW200 parts bike" two weeks later I bought a TW parts bike for $140 with two good engines rims, exhaust, seat, forks plus all the bolts and items cost so much to but new. I sold some of the parts to make my money back. "What's one mans junk is another mans treasure"

This was a funny story...the young guy had a good running TW that the engine locked up on. Turns out the gear on the clutch basket broke when the chain jumped the completely wore out front sprocket. He thought the engine seized up and bought another one on eBay. He told me his Baby Moma got pissed because he spent $800 for a new engine. She took wire cutters and cut all the wires off the bike.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
LuvNot, I would stay away from both your front tire choices.
In slick mud both will slide. The Shinko 700 looks aggressive, I just found it just would not hook up.
I have found the trials tire works great off road and have had no issues with it on the pavement.

·
Registered
674 Posts
without Mikes flair...I switch from the death wing to the 241. At best the OEM was scary. At its worst it washed out if I just thought about it happening. I was seriously doubting my skills as a new rider. The 241 totally changed my mindset it's been great on the road and moab was no match. From slickrock to sand to mud and boulder fields it proved it's worth

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can any of you guys that use the Shinko 241 front tire tell me which size approximates the size of the original Death Wing when it's aired-up & mounted?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Depending on the surfaces you run on off road you might be surprised by the Bridgestone rear tire, smooth no knobbies.
One of mine came with a mounted new one. I was really surprised how well it worked on dirt roads and it sure was superior to the knobs
on my other Tws for road travel. I'd say be patient and just buy a parts bike. Lots of ones with messed titles reasonable sitting in peep's back yards.
Might want to think on dual sprockets as a more cost effective solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts