TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TW is one of 3 bikes and the one I ride least...so keeping things going is an issue. I have had the bike since April, and usually I ride it a few times a week and that has been fine. I got busy and did not ride it for 3 weeks and I can not bring the battery back from the dead (in this case I ran extension cord from my unit and connected to battery tender for several hours to try and charge-the light eventually turned green but the bike still won't start) I do not have electricity in my condo garage so a regular battery tender is not an option. Although the bike is new it sat on the show room floor for a year and I am sure the battery just discharged.

Anyway, I need a new battery and found, then lost, a thread about a light weight (a half pound!!!) long lasting option. I really need something just lasts as long as you are riding...which has always been the case with my other bikes, no need to tender them (except when I lived in the Midwest, but in S.Cal now).

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Sounds like you are interested in a modern lightweight Li battery. I have both the Shorie and the Battery Tender models for the TWs. Both are excellent in my opinion. The Shorie has been very popular for years but the Battery tender can be had for ~$30 to $40 less, ~$80. I like the multiple terminals of the Battery Tender model. Cold temperature operation won’t be an issue in Southern California, your riding season is longer, these batteries hold their charge for years...thus any float charging during periods of non-operation should not be neccessary. images-4.jpeg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I could go into a long paper on the differences between shorai (LI-ION) vs battery tender (LI-IRON) (I am using both) and the preference of using the special shorai cell balancing charger....(another $85.00) ,but i suggest doing some research on both. I will just give you my recommendation: get the battery tender LI-IRON battery, and use your standard battery tender charger. As most bikes now days have computers, and drain the battery constantly; keep it on all the time.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Although the bike is new it sat on the show room floor for a year and I am sure the battery just discharged.
No doubt!! And not only did it discharge, it was probably killed right out of the box by high current charging.
Either an AGM or a Lithium-Ion battery will fit your bill, but the Li batteries are about twice as much. However, they will keep their charge for most of a year unless frozen.
I use an AGM, since I'm cheap and I have to overwinter the battery in 20 degree temps. Mine has lasted four years, but I do make sure it gets a trickle charge once a month.
There isn't much difference in weight between an AGM and a Li, both are about 1/4 the weight of the OEM.

Do buy a reputable brand whatever you do, there are an astounding number of crap batteries out there! :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could go into a long paper on the differences between shorai (LI-ION) vs battery tender (LI-IRON) (I am using both) and the preference of using the special shorai cell balancing charger....(another $85.00) ,but i suggest doing some research on both. I will just give you my recommendation: get the battery tender LI-IRON battery, and use your standard battery tender charger. As most bikes now days have computers, and drain the battery constantly; keep it on all the time.
thanks! Unfortunately regular battery tender or charger use is not an option, I have a shared garage and there is no power outlet. So in an emergency I can run an extension cord from my unit or the laundry room. Neither is appropriate on a regular basis though (an eye sore and trip hazard for my neighbors). I didn't know battery tender made batteries.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Time to roll the ol bike into the apt... haha :p
thanks! Unfortunately regular battery tender or charger use is not an option, I have a shared garage and there is no power outlet. So in an emergency I can run an extension cord from my unit or the laundry room. Neither is appropriate on a regular basis though (an eye sore and trip hazard for my neighbors). I didn't know battery tender made batteries.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Maybe gambling is too strong a word. More like being a guinea pig as I don’t know anyone who has tried one of these and you have to deal with China for the warranty. Personally I will problebly end up buying at least one of these batteries because at that price it can’t really be any worse than the stock Lead acid battery. The benefits of the Lifepo4 cells out weight any risks in my mind. This is a safe battery that will do all the requirements you were asking about. The Battery Tender brand Lifepo4 motorcycle batteries are likely made in China with their brand on them.

If you want to pay 40% more and get an easier warranty here is a link on EBay for an $80 BT battery.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/162656995164

Ha, no gambling!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
This indicates that you would be better off with a Lithium-ion battery. If you could take the bike out on a 20 minute or longer ride three times each winter you would probably be just fine.
I have had nothing but excellent products from Deltran, but their batteries are NOT cheap....see previous post!

[h=3]PN: BTL09A120C
Deltran Battery Tender's® line of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) engine start batteries are designed to replace Flooded, AGM, and Gel cell lead acid batteries in Power Sport applications such as Motorcycles, ATVs, Personal Water Craft, Lawn Mowers, Utility Vehicles, Scooters, and Dirt Bikes.

At this time, batteries can only be shipped ground. Any other shipping options selected at checkout will not be honored.
Features:
Voltage: 12V
Lithium Cranking Amps: 120
Lead-Acid Replacement Range: 7-9(Ah)
Case Dimensions: 4.21” (107mm) length x 2.2” (56mm) width x 3.35” (85mm) height
Operating Temp: 40 - 140° (F)
Weight: 1.2 lbs
Warranty: 3 Years - Limited*
Max Charge Rate: 10A
Agency Approvals: CE, UN 38.3
• 18 month Shelf Life
• Up to 80% lighter than Lead Acid Equivalent
• 5X the Life of a Lead Acid Battery
• Quad Terminal Configuration for ease of installation
• 2000+ Cycles at 80% Depth of Discharge
• Can be mounted in any direction
• Lithium Batteries do not sulphate
$99.95[/h]ADD TO CART

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
The charge retention over time for something like the Battery Tender is as impressive as the TW’s lack of parasitic power drains. Don’t know if this lessens any concerns about inability to safely feed 100V to a charger. However if Lynlee still has any of the fine fleet of other motorcycles listed in her profile the she has 12V standing by for a jump-start. If all bikes have the standard 12v Battery Tender plug ( exposed terminal to ground, shielded terminal to battery positive) then a simple jumper cable with reversed terminal polarity can be used to jump start any bike with another bike from the fleet. No 110V neccessary, just a bike-to-bike jumper cable home made from 12 gauge or so wire and a pair of plug connectors. Toss in a alligator clamp-to-battery tender pigtail and you can jump start from a automotive battery. Cheaper than a kick starter.;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
What...no window?....or get one of their 25' ($12) sae connector extensions................. or cut a hole in the roof......... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Battery Tender 021-1163 5-Watt Solar Panel with built-in Battery Tender® Super Smart 3-Step Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Solar Battery Charger/Controller. 100% portable battery charging and maintenance. Perfect for a storage space without power access!

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Or just fire up and ride the TW once every 4 or 5 months to maintain charge level before it falls a few percent below 100%. Remember, we are not talking old school wet cell battery maintenance.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Frostbite in Ohio for sure!
I should have tempered my comment that the “just ride it periodically” advice was still addressing concerns made by the Original Poster whose San Diego,California climate has a reasonable 12 month riding season.
Certainly there is lots of sunshine for a solar charger in San Diego but I doubt her TW would need one, or any other supplemental charging device, if a quality Li battery is installed, assuming bike is ridden every couple of months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:D Fred, You are certainly right about the TW. I have others though that have given me problems when I forgot to plug them in after a ride; or figured I didn't need to since I was riding every day or so.....and then due to unforeseen reasons...didn't.... but not the TW. my T-Max,, Honda CTX(even within a couple of days), BMW-GS, Honda ST, Yamaha WR, Aprilia etc. have all tried to kill their batteries, or DID so. The good part is, in spite of many claims of lithium batteries being ruined, I have been able to bring them back, using a Y (to allow a charger to connect to 2 batteries simultaneously) and another good battery.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts