TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a USB port on my tw, and was looking for something that is only on when the bike is running. I was looking for what others have used. After a few searches, I see most use the tender port directly to their battery, however I am not responsible enough to be trusted with something I have to disconnect (I can barely remember to turn of my key.) So I’m thinking something wired with the ign sw, but I’m unsure where a good place to intercept that is. I see some have used the turn signal power, any one else have any luck with that?

·
Registered
2021 TW
597 Posts
Yea, running light,head light,tail light would be all good for switched power. What does a USB take 5 volts half an amp, 3 watts maybe?
I have a pig tail for a battery tender, because I am lazy and dont want to hack the wiring I use an adapter that plugs into that. Works for me. But as you said, dont want to forget and leave something charging.

·
Registered
2012 TW200, 1988 DT50, 2002 ZRX1200
124 Posts
Yea, running light,head light,tail light would be all good for switched power. What does a USB take 5 volts half an amp, 3 watts maybe?
I have a pig tail for a battery tender, because I am lazy and dont want to hack the wiring I use an adapter that plugs into that. Works for me. But as you said, dont want to forget and leave something charging.
If I recall correctly, I use the left side running light as a power source for my USB charger. I believe it was a blue wire but don’t quote me. You definitely want something switched because even with nothing plugged in and charging, a USB will create a little bit of draw. It will definitely run your battery down over time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking head light, but then if is switch to the high beam, i lose power, but i try not to drive,let alone ride at night, it may work. But it seems that we only have one fuse anyway, so any power source is a power source!

Reactions: salabim

·
Registered
2012 TW200, 1988 DT50, 2002 ZRX1200
124 Posts
I was thinking head light, but then if is switch to the high beam, i lose power, but i try not to drive,let alone ride at night, it may work. But it seems that we only have one fuse anyway, so any power source is a power source!
Fwiw I went back to find my post. On my 2012 I used the blue left running light as the positive and black ground for switched power.

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have this model. Have had for going on 2 years. Recommended by fellow forum member, who still has his (over 2+ years). No issues thus far.

Many brands out there on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Like all have said, make sure it has the On/Off switch.

Product Gadget Font Audio equipment Cable

Reactions: salabim
1 - 11 of 11 Posts