TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my TW to explore and often need to hike ways - not to mention if a breakdown occurs and I ride alone often I may need to hike out.

Any recommendations on grate boots you can hike a few miles in

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wear Red Wings 6" Heritage boots....they are probably not the best... but they are about $175 and are very comfortable and provide good traction and support on steep and uneven and loose surfaces....and yet fit on the pegs....

The do make a Heritage Motorcycle Boot but I hike a lot more than I ride.....some people find they need a half size difference than normal...so it would be a good idea to try some on before buying..

If you have a bad back (L4/L5) they really help …..if your feet are not happy, nothing is happy...like mom...

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
May I suggest Forma Adventure boots in either the high 3-buckle or low 2 buckle model?
I have the high model and they are so comfortable that I tend to leave them on sitting around camp after a long days ride. They have been very comfortable when exploring on foot off the bike.
Waterproof and very flexible their design heritage is more from the Trials world than the motorcross world.
Yes, they do not afford same level of protection as a plastic clad stiff MX boot and as such I have had a couple of crushing incidents that left lasting hematoma but no real lasting damage.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I really like the Forma Adventures low boot. The high boot is also very popular.

Here is a boot vid.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Forma Adventure boots, both hi and low forma.jpg
My worst bruise while wearing the Forma. bruise.jpg Caught foot between bike and canyon wall shortly into Moab's Hell's Revenge. I did continue the ride completing the arduous trail, admittedly hurtin' for certain.

More typical use is kicking back in comfort somewhere after a fun ride. forma 1.jpg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Fred and I were typing at the same time. Great minds think a like.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
"...The only negative is that they squeak which apparently is easy to to fix but I just have never bothered..."

Recommend liberal application of 50wt. synthetic engine oil.
In snow 10w/40 should be good...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I second Fred's and Tweeker's nomination of the Forma Adventure boots. I have the high cut and once wore them for over 30 hours straight.
I you want to know why ask me around a camp fire.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm another fan of the Forma Adventure boots. I have the hi boot and love them.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Forma, of course.
Bought them on recommendations across the board on both TW Forum and ADV. Rider.
Glad I did.

There is another boot that is very much the same as the Forma but I forget the name of it. Some think they both come out of the same factory. It was a draw but went with the Forma in the end.

If you are buying on-line and not in a store try one size bigger than your actual shoe size for comfort. I don't recall if they had 1/2 sizes, I think not?

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
My favorite Forma endorsement: "These are the boots Steve McQueen would have worn".
Here he is representing the US at the 1964 ISDT, now known as the ISDE ( International Six Day Enduro, no longer Trials). Steve-McQueen-At-The-International-Six-Days-Trial-In-Germany.jpg
While still an Italian company ,Forma's Adventure boots are now made in Romania. Still a quality item in the fine tradition of Italian footwear. Mine are starting to suffer from rock abrasion along the welt since TWs ride low in ruts made by conventional tall narrow tire dirt bikes; thus my feet and footpads scrape against the sidewalls and any projecting rocks. Not the shoe's fault, just the low ground clearance inherent in a TW.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Filled water balloons strategically placed inside boot and allowed to freeze will stretch the leather a bit. I did this with my Formas since they wee a bit narrow for my Neanderthal feet. Hold balloons in proper place with balled up newspaper or other wadding to contain and direct the ~4% expansion of water as it freezes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Off topic..... but the photo of Steve McQueen who actually was good enough to ride in the Six Day …..that is simply amazing.....and reminds me of "On Any Sunday "with Malcom and Mert …...and what a great time that was to be young....sorry for the drift...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I don't think that you can have it both ways, and I don't recommend that you settle. Get purpose driven pairs of boots. If that requires more than one pair, like one pair for riding and one pair for hiking, so be it. Don't think of them as riding boots, think of them as crashing boots. Ask, how much protection are these boots going to offer in a crash?

I'm going to have to rain on the Forma parade here. A comfortable riding boot... yes, but a protective crashing boot... NO! I have the Forma boots. I ran them for 2+ years. Like Fred, I've beat up my feet in them. Luckily, I never had a situation where their lack of support and crush protection cost me. I've since moved on to the Alpinestars Tech 7. So, bottom line, I'm going to recommend getting a protective riding boot and carrying a comfortable hiking boot in a lightweight dry sack and using each for their intended purpose when you need them. Best of luck to you, and happy riding and hiking!

I can't say it much better than this video, and if you're saying to yourself, "Yeah, but I don't do any riding like that.", do you think you need less protection when riding asphalt or gravel?

Here is my video again where I speak about my riding gear, cued up to the boots...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Greatn advice Larry and cool videos. For younger and more athletic riders who tackle tougher terrain your advice is spot on. For someone older who knows their limitations and only rides in less challenging or easy rides the Forma boots are a compromise many of us choose to take. If I was younger when I got my bike I would have needed better boots like the ones you suggest.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Nice video Larry, but I didn't see your comfortable hiking boots in a lightweight dry sack. Do you carry those comfy Merrel Jungle Mocs for that purpose?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't know if you are able to get Magnum boots in the US, but if you can they are absolutely fantastic. They give plenty of support and protection and are comfy as old slippers. They really are all day comfortable.
The black pair are Elite 2's; they are warm and have a sympatex membrane (similar to Goretex) and are my everyday riding boots.
The Tan pair are Scorpions and are my 'South of France' warm weather boots.
I rate these boots so highly that I bought another pair of each to keep as replacements.
http://www.magnumboots.com/uk/elite-ii-leather-waterproof-boot-black-mens-womens.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts