TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to mount my Garmin 60csx to my TW from time to time. (Alternatively, I’d like to try mounting my nuvi 285W if that is possible and if it would survive).

I see that many of you guys have GPS mounts.

Can you offer any suggestions on what to buy? I have never had a GPS on a bike before.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've tried a few alternatives, and the flatscreen, automotive type GPS units can be homebrewed onto the bike. But for the handhelds like the 60CSX I haven't found a workaround that can beat the Ram setup.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I write directions on my tank with a grease pencil, or use a roll chart, that high tech electrickery scares me

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I miss my abacus....

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have both a Garmin 60csx and 205w on my bike. I have them both hard wired to my instrument panel. As you can see I rebuilt my speedo / instrument panel because I took a big dump and busted up the stock speedo. I put in a Vapor unit as well as a 12vdc adapter and on/off switch to it and my high beams. I put the switch on the high beam so I can switch my lights to high beam THEN turn the power to it off while on the trails... thus getting more juice to my battery and gps units. Here are some pictures of my mounts. I used the RAM mount for the 60csx and it cannot be beat. I modified the standard Garmin mount for the 205w and mounted it with a big U bolt. BTW, I've NEVER had any issues with either unit and I have them with lanyards to the bar just in case they would ever come off their mounts. I do like having them both. Enjoy:

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yeah, but where's your abacus?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say that I broke it, and gave the beads to a girl.
Seriously I wish I could help OWT with a mount, But I truely know nothing about GPS.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I have both a Garmin 60csx and 205w on my bike. I have them both hard wired to my instrument panel. As you can see I rebuilt my speedo / instrument panel because I took a big dump and busted up the stock speedo. I put in a Vapor unit as well as a 12vdc adapter and on/off switch to it and my high beams. I put the switch on the high beam so I can switch my lights to high beam THEN turn the power to it off while on the trails... thus getting more juice to my battery and gps units. Here are some pictures of my mounts. I used the RAM mount for the 60csx and it cannot be beat. I modified the standard Garmin mount for the 205w and mounted it with a big U bolt. BTW, I've NEVER had any issues with either unit and I have them with lanyards to the bar just in case they would ever come off their mounts. I do like having them both. Enjoy:

WOW, looks like you've got it all figured out, looks great.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here is one more shot pulled back... Yep, having busted the stock all up, I got to re-engineer the whole. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
RAM mount on a 60csx is what I have as well. One $30 sacrifice to Amazon and problem solved. Use a Nuvi on the VFR with a Ram mount too.

If you think they're pricey go to touratech.com and price some mounts.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow – lots of great responses in only a few hours.

I like the price of what goldenhtr suggests and it looks simple. Unfortunately I took a look at the RAM mount goodies and they have attracted my attention like putting shiny items in front of a magpie. Ooooo, they are modular and they allow for options to mount other things.

I think I will try the RAM mounts, since if I like them I could later get a suction cup accessory to mount the 60csx in my truck. (Currently it flops around on the dash since Mrs. Old White truck refuses to hold it for me and won’t let me duct tape it to her shoulder).

For $33 I could get the RAM-B-149Z-GA12U GPSMAP 60 60C Series Zinc U-Bolt Rail Mount Kit to mount the 60CSX, and then if I spent $8 more I could also get a cradle for the nuvi.

The RAM-B-149Z-GA12U contains these parts

• Zinc U-Bolt Motorcycle Mount Base RAM-B-231ZU

• Medium Length Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U

• Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball RAM-B-238U

• Garmin 60CSx Astro Cradle RAM-HOL-GA12U

The RAM things are sort of like playing with Lego – see what you can build – I like it.

Sean – you are right about the price of the Tourtech stuff. Only $150 for a 60csx mount!! That is almost as much as paid for the GPS itself.

mrbracket - we ARE going to have to figure out a ride for the Cali guys sometime. However, what are we going to do if we encounter precipitation - don’t they melt in the rain?

JS5owner – thanks for the pictures. I am especially heartened to hear that your nuvi has survived on the TW. Your instrument cluster looks a bit like the cockpit of an airplane – very nice! Do any of the toggle switches fire rockets or deploy chaff?

r80rt – I will also order a grease pencil in case my batteries go dead.

Abacus!? – LB, join the 21st century. Slide rules are where it is at – the abacus rattles too much.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Do you have surround sound on that? I am curious how bad the dvd skips on the trails.

They looks like an awesome set up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
like all said before.... RAM

best part is when you upgrade your 60 to a 62 or oregon, all you need to buy is the cradle and reuse all the other parts.. plus they are warranted for life. ive broke two now and heck you dont even need to send it to them. just take a photo and a week later new one comes in the mail.

also the ram system will let you mix and match and reuse. for example. i have a three ball mounts in the burb. all i do when i get to the drop off point is untighten the item from the truck and quickly move it to the bike. I have mounts for Camera, GPS, Phone, Spot, Nuvi... (also seen between the Phone and GPS is a 12 volt outlet to charge if needed) so depending on my needs i can swap them around for the situation. (IE remove phone put in camera)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts