TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remain hopeful about acquiring (soon) my latest TW....but I'm curious about something. I keep seeing a lot of older bikes on CL and Kijiji....and by "older" I mean in the 90's and 00's....so is there a "best year" for this model?

67 Mustang....70 Challenger...55 Vette Roadster...which is the "vintage" year for the TW?

I know there are small changes at some point in time...2000 was the last year of the front drum-brake...another model year (can't remember which) was tough on CDI's....any other changes thru the years?

I instinctively pull back when I see ads for anything under 2001...am I just being silly?

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
The best year for a TW is the year you get one. If you are anything like so many of us here it could also be the worst year for you wallet when you start doing all the upgrades and farkles.

Some like the pre 2001 models that came with drum brakes and the kick start & electric. Others like the post 2000 ones that have front disc and no kick start. Those who own the 1987, first year models always say they are the fastest but I say they are FOS.:D
Some of the years in the mid 1990s had an inherent leaking base gasket which is pretty easy to see so do your inspection and if you find a leaker negotiate accordingly. It should not be that costly to get the new and redesigned base gasket professionally installed and can be done yourself with instructions found here. In all honesty any TW that has been well cared for, not abused or molested and has low miles while being kept out of the weather is a great choice. The ones parked for years out behind the barn are great candidates to avoid unless you can get them as parts only donors and at very low prices.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
1994. They are the fastest and best looking.
I am partial to the 1988 Black Widow and the 1991 Black Onyx color schemes but the 1994 & 1995 Rainbow warriors are pretty. I also like the 2006 and the 2014 Blues and so far am still undecided on the silver or black wheels. Some of us act like 17 year old girls with all this color matching garbage but under the dress they are all pretty much from the same genes. Which year is the fastest is a non issue because fast and TW should never be in the same sentence. I had one do 100 MPH once, it was behind my truck on a trailer but right around 70 MPH is where they all top out and only if you are going down hill with a tail wind and light load.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Gee Gary... I can do almost 70 before shifting into 5th. :D And I only shut it down because I saw a new donut shop in town and had to pull over and try one of their fresh hot glazed.

YUP! Just remember LT, when you come across the border from Canada you better stop at the nearest service station and change the air in your tires to the PSI stuff. :eek:

GaryL

·
Registered
264 Posts
I mean, I don't think any of them are "fast," and any difference in speed by year is going to be minimal. Low miles and taken care of is all that really matters. I really liked the 2018/2019 designs (and my friend works at Yamaha with the design of those years graphics), so I went that direction. Just get one and have fun :)

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I would love to have seen a comparison of T-1 and T-2 doing the same speed test before you made the piston, jet and sprocket changes. Bone stock and running good I had one TW that did hit 70 MPH on the speedo but on the GPS that 70 was registering as 66 MPH over the ground. On my last leg coming home there is a long flat straight just before a nice down grade before my street. I could hit 65 on the flat and just touch 70 heading down the hill before my house before slowing down. I don't know how much further I could have wound it out but I do suspect with a little longer down hill I might have been able to hit an honest 70 MPH on the GPS which would probably be reading around 75 on the speedo.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Here is T-2 at 9000 rpm with the speedo between 70 and 75. This was with a #112 jet. These speed runs are very slightly uphill -- I would call it flat except I am going against the flow of rain water.

I had to brighten the picture a lot to see the gauges.
View attachment 193152
Nice elime, I guess those Wiseco pistons do add some pep once you get the carb and gearing set right. When you go to the 70MM piston how many additional CCs does this add to the engine and how much more compression? I would suspect you are close to a 225 at this point.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Nice elime, I guess those Wiseco pistons do add some pep once you get the carb and gearing set right. When you go to the 70MM piston how many additional CCs does this add to the engine and how much more compression? I would suspect you are close to a 225 at this point.

GaryL

The displacement goes up to 214cc and the compression ratio jumps to 9.9:1. The box will say 10.25:1 but that is for a 58mm stroke. The TW has a 55.7mm stroke hence the lower ratio. I would guess a 10% to 15% gain in performance. Not Earth shattering but fun to play with.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
The displacement goes up to 214cc and the compression ratio jumps to 9.9:1. The box will say 10.25:1 but that is for a 58mm stroke. The TW has a 55.7mm stroke hence the lower ratio. I would guess a 10% to 15% gain in performance. Not Earth shattering but fun to play with.
Is the 70 MM piston about as far as you can bore the jug out and is the compression at close to the limits the head can take?

Gary

1 - 20 of 27 Posts