TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
125 RS | Beta USA

125 cc. 230 pounds wet. 5 speed, air cooled, and carbureted... Electric start with kick start backup. If it's a Beta built motor (pretty sure it is), I'm wagering it'll put out 18 to 20 horsepower. If it is outsourced, more like 11, lol. For the U.S. market, it seems like perhaps they would have been wise to make it a 200cc motor with similar technology (CRF250L horsepower but 100 pounds lighter! And for a similar price? That could have been a big hit. Maybe this still will be...). But we must wait and see what's up with this thing... It will be interesting to see the MSRP and how much power that little motor makes. 20 horsepower in a bike that light with good gearing could actually pull a guy up a good sized hill at 30 mph lol! I don't know about the carb though. Seems a little silly to introduce a new model featuring a carb in this day and age. I wonder how this bike will compare with the Honda Grom. Very different bikes I know, but both street legal 125's available in the U.S.! Just for fun, this is what we know so far:

Honda Grom-----Beta 125 RS

$3200-----unknown but probably considerably more (maybe around $4,000 to $4,500? much more than that and no one will ever buy it...)
4 speed trans-----5 speed trans
-----air cooled four stroke engine-----
225 pounds wet-----230 pounds wet
fuel injection-----carburetion
front/rear suspension travel =3.9/4.1 inches-----front rear suspension travel =9.6/8.6 inches
front/rear wheels (inches)=12/12-----front/rear wheels (inches)=21/18
electric start-----electric with kick start backup (signature Beta!)
30 inch seat height-----34.8-36 inch seat height
solid rims-----wire spoke wheels
scooter-esque hooligan bike----kind of a proper dirt bike!
-----marketed to poor high school kids that want to look cool? lol-----

Can't wait to see more about this bike! Should be fun.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
bad seat height.................I'm getting older and shorter
I read that too. And unless new 2-strokes smell better than the old ones and are as quiet as a 4 stroke. I'll stick with a 4 stroke.
Never mind the 2 stroke - I made a mistake on which bike this was about.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brochure claims 10 horsepower.
Ouch, lol. I don't think they had that brochure link up yesterday. If they did I missed it. Hopefully at least they're talking about rwhp (but probably not... :( ). With a bike like the CRF 150R putting out about 26 horsepower (crank), I figured a more sensibly tuned Beta 125 could manage 18. Ten is a bit disappointing to me tbh. It could still be a fun little bike if they price it right. Maybe the mild output will mean the motor's good for 15k miles. I'm just happy to see Beta trying to expand a bit. And having more choices is always a good thing. Still waiting patiently for that modern rendition of a DR350 or a WR450R!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts