TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We {well Hoot} has been discussing this for a couple of years now...and something, weather, money, lack of interest, has been pushing it back....now Gary L., Mel, and maybe Jersey Jeepster, Montezuma, and Zdiver Paul, are on the plan making kick again...of course if the nitwits in Washington don't open back up the National Parks and the other small bit of Government that is "shut down" it may be a moot point anyway!

Here is what we have so far....the dates of Big Bend are open ended but Gary is planning on meeting up with Hoot on or about April 30th in Ohio after he leaves New York State...we will travel with vehicles and TWs to Big Bend and arrive around May 2nd, stay for a week or so, and head back east about May 7th or 8th....like I said this is open ended...you can park your butt and TW/Camper/4WD or whatever at the Rio Grande Campground, in Terlingua, or the Chisos Mountain Lodge, or a combination of any and all....you can ride when you want, drink when you please, and leave whenever you want....there will be on "Rules" no mandatory or "planned" group rides....we will let the chips fall and just meet up, greet, and eat when we please.

If you are interested you can raise you hand here or drop me an e-mail or PM me here...

Hoot "Big Bend or Dust 2019"

Big Bend OOR.jpg

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one sounds like a possibility for me. I would have to get my bike trail ready with a skid plate and some type of tank cover for the stock tank.
Need a skid plate for sure, but heck Ol Blue 2014 has a stock one and it survived Big Bend in 2016....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hey Hoot, I wanted to thank you and GaryL for the email and the invitation to go back to Big Bend. Unfortunately that timeframe would not work for me. I am off for 6 months but go back to work May 1 officially but the spend the weeks in April getting the ferry ready for the season. That was a great trip and I would love to see you guys again. Looking forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Hoot, I wanted to thank you and GaryL for the email and the invitation to go back to Big Bend. Unfortunately that timeframe would not work for me. I am off for 6 months but go back to work May 1 officially but the spend the weeks in April getting the ferry ready for the season. That was a great trip and I would love to see you guys again. Looking forward to the pictures.
:( Sorry about that, but God Willing we will see you down the road...on the TW... :)

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Forgive me, I am a Swede and only know pillaging and destruction of those I run into...is Big Bend the National Park in Texas?
YES! Big Bend National Park in TX and overlooks the Rio Grand. This will be a non denominational gathering and we don't care where your genes are from. Just like in years past making such plans so far out are difficult with life getting in our ways. Stuff happens so that's why we are tossing it out with no rules and with all of us being pretty much on our own for the planning. I hope to bring my camping gear, BW350 and my side kick Brittany Spaniel but could end up just with my 4 runner and staying in motels for the trip. It's a long drive for me from upstate NY but the right time of year to get away after a long cold winter has passed. If you plan on bringing a bike I would highly recommend you get the maintenance done before you go because this is a pretty desolate area of the country.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgive me, I am a Swede and only know pillaging and destruction of those I run into...is Big Bend the National Park in Texas?
Yes but there is also the Big Bend State Park attached and next door....which is not affected by the Pelosi/Schumer/Trump Shutdown...lol...so I plan on going there and partying in Terlingua, regardless...:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
How long is the drive, I need to evaluate vacation time. Can a bike be rented (if I fly)?

YES! Big Bend National Park in TX and overlooks the Rio Grand. This will be a non denominational gathering and we don't care where your genes are from. Just like in years past making such plans so far out are difficult with life getting in our ways. Stuff happens so that's why we are tossing it out with no rules and with all of us being pretty much on our own for the planning. I hope to bring my camping gear, BW350 and my side kick Brittany Spaniel but could end up just with my 4 runner and staying in motels for the trip. It's a long drive for me from upstate NY but the right time of year to get away after a long cold winter has passed. If you plan on bringing a bike I would highly recommend you get the maintenance done before you go because this is a pretty desolate area of the country.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
How long is the drive, I need to evaluate vacation time. Can a bike be rented (if I fly)?
It's about 2200 miles from my house in the Catskills. Drive time says around 40 hours. OUCH!

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
WOW, add that to a day to recover.

It's about 2200 miles from my house in the Catskills. Drive time says around 40 hours. OUCH!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hey Jersey Jeeper,
Come winter time, Lt. Dan packs up his bikes from GSM Motorent in Townsend, TN and heads down to Big Bend (Terlingua) where he rents them out. He's a very cool guy and he's helpful with riding suggestions even if you just stop by and ask. He can tell you all about flying in and getting to Terlingua... it's a long way from the nearest commercial airport. Here is a link: https://gsmmotorent.com/

Here is his bikes set up in Terlingua.

Whoops! Mrs Trip on Old Ore Road...

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
LMAO! Lets saddle JJ up on a Honda Grom and drink all the beer before he gets back to the camp site. Times 10 "Likes" on the link RT.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Stopped by {Mark Sampson} Big Dog's Web Site today and was reading about his Texas adventure with his wife....they ended up at Big Bend on New Year's Eve and Day...park is closed but there are parts you are allowed into you just can't sleep there....except at the lodge and the Private Campground

However the reason I posted, they came across a couple of "Desert Rats" as they approached Big Bend....anybody Recognize the TW? View attachment 188216

On case you've never been to the Big Dog's Site...below is the link, he has made a retirement career out of Dual Sporting for the past decade and more

2018-19 Southwest2

Despite being "Closed" Big Dog has some good photos of the Big Bend portion of his trip....

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Guess there is satellite TV and them fancy new fangled video-tape machines now but back in the day I found the ranchers back there outside the park would happily put a fellow up for the night in exchange for some conversation and a chance to exchange a story or two. Once got invited to a javalina hunt in the morning but my sense of work ethic had me decline. Even had a flat tire on a 16..5" split rim fixed and was scoldded for offering to pay. Of coarse I was off the beaten path so wonderful Texas hospitality ruled. Sure beat driving back to Marfa after a long day in the field only to discover anyplace to eat had closed hours before.
So go for it Hoot, pad the trip with a few more days & slow down to the calm pace of Terlinga time.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate your help and input.. :)

Hey Jersey Jeeper,
Come winter time, Lt. Dan packs up his bikes from GSM Motorent in Townsend, TN and heads down to Big Bend (Terlingua) where he rents them out. He's a very cool guy and he's helpful with riding suggestions even if you just stop by and ask. He can tell you all about flying in and getting to Terlingua... it's a long way from the nearest commercial airport. Here is a link: https://gsmmotorent.com/

Here is his bikes set up in Terlingua.

Whoops! Mrs Trip on Old Ore Road...

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Guess there is satellite TV and them fancy new fangled video-tape machines now but back in the day I found the ranchers back there outside the park would happily put a fellow up for the night in exchange for some conversation and a chance to exchange a story or two. Once got invited to a javalina hunt in the morning but my sense of work ethic had me decline. Even had a flat tire on a 16..5" split rim fixed and was scoldded for offering to pay. Of coarse I was off the beaten path so wonderful Texas hospitality ruled. Sure beat driving back to Marfa after a long day in the field only to discover anyplace to eat had closed hours before.
So go for it Hoot, pad the trip with a few more days & slow down to the calm pace of Terlinga time.
Well said Fred. We will be running at 70 MPH to get there and then have to dial it back down to around 25 and enjoy the ride. I will bring a Stun gun just in case the Hootster gets out of hand but it might get turned on me. 2200 miles sure can wind a fellow pretty tight. :(

It's really not that far of a jump from Teralingua to Tequila and beers. Sure wish we had some back up on this trip. :D

GaryL

·
Registered
349 Posts
Has anyone checked, even with the government shutdown Arches N.P. is still open.
Maybe Big Bend is too.
I've never been there, but it looks like a good place and time for riding.
Is this the same dates as the get together in Moab?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
WARNING!

To anyone going to Big Bend who hasn't been there before:

If you go you will have to go again.
Nobody can visit that magical place only once...it is highly addictive!
And you won't see more than a tiny fraction of it on a single trip.

Hate crowds in National Parks? BB is your place!
It is Texas Big...:eek:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts