TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this site yesterday and was impressed with these big bore air guns. The come in .30, .357, .45 and .50 calibers. The .45 can shoot a 180 grain round nose bullet about 700 fps for a whopping almost 200 ft-lbs. That is just a little bit less than a mild .45acp out of a 1911.

Sam Yang Big Bore 909S, .45 cal | Airgun Depot

If that link doesn't work here is another of a page of many different air rifles.

Big Bore Airguns | Airgun Depot

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It's about time I see high powered air rifles get the attention they deserve.

Quieter as to not scare away game or give away your location.

The potential for free ammo...if you can repressurize your tank you can make slugs....gun powder not so easy. Also gun powder storage shelf life not as forgiving as an air rifle.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Yes, a return to 18th century technology. Lewis and Clark carried a repeating shot air rifle on their famous trip. It was about .45 cal. and the used it to kill deer and impress indians.
They learned to not shoot bear with it as it only pissed the bear off. Pumping up the air resevoir was a chore though although when full it gave about 15 lethal shots.
They never told the indians that they only had one of these, the indians assumed that they had more. It was a tactic that helped deter possibly aggressive behavior.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Tony, I watch a show called "American Airgunner" on cable TV.

Home - American Airgunner

It's amazing to see them bring down a full size deer or hog with an airgun.

I started shooting airguns (.177 and .22 CO2) a few years ago when the .22 powder cartridges were hard to find.

It surprised me that they were not quiet. One of mine is louder than a .22 rimfire.

I'm looking at one of the new models with surpressors built in.

jb

·
Registered
638 Posts
I built this one to shoot t-shirts into the stadium at football games.
0830162205.jpg
Since then my kids and I have made a bunch of different bore ends for a variety of "ammo"
The little shapened one was for a variety of vegtables. The long one is for pool noodle giant "nerf" darts. and 2 liter bottle water rockets.
Good fun.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Aye like that! It could be used to shoot arrows for larger game It could probably shoot an arrow at almost 500 FPS. Nearly double the speed of the best Archery, Even the best of crossbows is only about 350 FPS.
I used to have a single shot 20 guage with an 18 inch barrel that I shot arrows with. I would cut the end off of a number 8 trap load cartridge and empty the shot. Then I would pull out the plastic wad and remove half the powder and put the wad back in. The arrow used plastic fletching and was rotated as it was muzzle loaded down the bore until it was against the wadding of the shell. A pair of paper wads at the muzzle held the arrow centered until shot. It was more accurate than archery and much more powerful. It made a dull "pung" sound when fired making it a very quiet fire arm. It could be reloaded more quickly than a black powder muzzle loader, and was easier to carry in thick brush than archery.
You could use the full amount of powder to shoot the arrow but the weapon was noisier that way albiet more powerful. Oh, I forgot to mention, it's best if you remove the plastic nock from the arrow. It is a whole lot cheaper than an Air rifle and more lethal.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started shooting airguns (.177 and .22 CO2) a few years ago when the .22 powder cartridges were hard to find.
When I was a kid I had a Benjamin Model 310 BB gun. Three pumps and it put a steel BB through both sides of a tin can. Man, that was a real step up from my Daisy Red Ryder that only put a dent in one side.

I was in Bass Pro about a week ago looking at suppressed air rifles. For about $200 it looked interesting but then I decide I probably wouldn't use it very much if at all once the novelty wore off, so I passed. However, if you get one report back how well it works. I can always change my mind.

BTW, the local Bass Pro had zero rimfire ammo on the shelf. I guess people are hoarding afraid of the uncertain future and the anti gun government we now have, especially here in California.

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
Slow, bulky and expensive. Better off with a simple sling bow, you'll spend more on the arrows than on the sling bow plus any upgrade imaginable. Faster arrows, quicker follow up shots, no 3,000psi scuba tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If any of you are looking to buy an airgun,I would avoid buying a new one.
The cheaper ones triggers suck. They are hard to pull and have a lot
of travel . Look on Gunbroker,I would suggest a RWS 34 or a 45.
Better yet a Feinwerkbau 124 is a excellent rifle,pricey yet a real
tack-driver. I have 3 of them and they shoot well.

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
I favor a little bore .177 RWS Diana 34 with a nice aftermarket 12 power scope. A nice entry level example of a quality european air rifle. Not gonna take down any feral hogs with it but it sure is a tack driver center punching Little Friskies cans at 50 yards and paint cans at 90 yards. images.jpeg
When I first got it unaware of it's long range capabilities I shot a bear a couple times with it at 100 yards or so not knowing pellet would penetrate. Just treed the poor fellow when I was just trying to scare him away. Next time I'll use my silly 700fps Crossman 760 pump-up BB gun just to sting. Crosman-Pumpmaster-760-Kit_CR760BKT_zm5.jpg .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fred, looks like you have a Leapers scope on your 34
I have them on my guns, nice scopes,good clarity,
same mounts too.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Fred you can rest easy. I am as close to positive as I can be that those pellets did not penetrate a bears hide at 100 yards. Probably freaked him out a little though.

Tom

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I still have the Benjamin .22 cal pellet gun. I once fired one shot at about 40 yards and fired a shotgun shell when I hit dead on the primer. Funny thing was when the casing flew at us I ducked and it hit my friend. No harm done. That gun is seriously accurate.

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
' ...those pellets did not penetrate a bears hide at 100 yards. Probably freaked him out a little though" -Well, I din't want to get accused of harassing wildlife....you know,California and all that.:)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I shot a bear in Idaho with a pellet gun. He just stared at me with a "GET REAL" expression on his face. I used a pellet gun a lot to get open range cattle off my property.
I also shot them in the butt with Blunt arrows from a 35 pound bow. The arrows would not penetrate the skin but made them buck high and run away.

·
Registered
343 Posts
On Fred's and Borneo's recommendation, I "graduated" from Walmart Beemans to a RWS Diana 34 .177. A very nice rifle.

Also bought a HW95 .22 when Air Guns or Arizona was selling the for $299. Almost identical to the Diana 34, but it shoulders so much nicer, for me.

Got a Benjamin 392, but with my not so great eyes, even a Williams Peep did not get me as accurate as I wanted. Sadly, tough to scope that rifle, but love it compactness.

Only because of the price, I use the 46U (.22) as my kick around. PRICE ONLY. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it otherwise. Great looks, short barrel length, nice wood and nice blueing, crisp trigger, good power, almost silent (no twang), and dead on accurate!

The guy's name is Mike Mellick, well know in air guns forums. 60 some years old and disassembles gun when you buy it and checks it all out and if you want to pay more, will do a full tune on it for you (He talked me out of full tune and saved me money). And stand behind it fully for as long as he's alive. Also answers his own phone and will chat. :cool:

XISICO XS46U | Underlever Air Rifle | Flying Dragon Air Rifles

Maybe one of my favorites. Because of this rifle, I have decided I really do not need the TX200, although I LOVE the fish scales.

Air Arms fabulous TX200...The spring-piston rifle to which all are compared.

Another place to get ideas of pricing, and just plain lust after the unattainable...

American Airguns Classified Ads - Classifieds

Breaking in a Beeman RS2 for a buddy over the winter

Sorry if I hijacked, not Big Bore, but I do really like air rifles!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rebuilt my childhood 1400 and some mods to 2300T
tmp_3282-2016-09-01 10.14.02713280577.jpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts