TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a long weekend in Idaho at Sidekick Chad's cabin for Independence Day. On the 5th, we took this ride. We looked at the maps, planned a loop route and uploaded it into the GPS units, and set out. We started in Calder, ID, rode up Big Creek, then up, way up, onto the ATV Divide ridge trail. We followed this east to Slate Creek Road which took us back south to the St. Joe. Finishing back in Calder.

I'm going to make this a multi-part series since there was a lot of footage which is all fantastic. Also, since my GoPro lens was still damaged from the Moab trip, this footage was shot on Chad's new Garmin Virb chin-mounted to his helmet.

In Part 1: We are riding Big Creek Road, which is a nice gravel road along and crossing Big Creek. Eventually, it gets a little rougher and starts narrowing to two-track for a little while until it turns to a single-track motorcycle trail. As always, the camera makes it look more tame than actually experiencing it. It goes up fast, with loose and some larger rock. Immediately, we struggle with the first little steps/ledge area. I think we both felt like we could've made it easier by just gunning it, but that drop off to the left was very scary and intimidating.

With temperatures getting above 90 degrees, and being in full sun, the next small challenge got me hot and pooped and needing a short break before proceeding. Man-handling the TW wears you out quick! When SC realizes that we're going to be doing switchbacks up that hill, he looks back wondering how in the hell we can turn around. We can't. It's do or die time. When he gets to the top, you can see the climb for the switchback to the right. I think his plan was to stop and game plan. Plans don't always go as planned. Enjoy...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Excellent video. Far better than anything on the tv box.

Looking forward to part 2. You left us hanging for the sequel.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
all seems so innocent until BAM! too late. crazy how fast that narrowed down to a butt-puckering cliffhanger. btw much better idea to fall right too.... i gasped at your tumble left "0h SH*T" is that a grasshopper that jumps left to right at 6:20?

Oh, have you had that second bike checked out? so skinny those tires...it looks so anorexic, i hope it's OK!

thanks for the beautiful ride report.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's funny, as I started getting things ready for Part 2, I'm like, "Geez, I must really suck at this! It's almost been a week, and I can't even get a 'like' from littletommy!". So, thanks for the kind words and for checking out my stuff.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We continue on the tight side-hill singletrack after a couple of switchbacks where the camera wasn't on. Follow us as we experience the scary heights, multiple water crossings, and mechanical difficulties. Enjoy Part 2.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
looks like a completely different state compared to mr and mrs admiral's stomping grounds! nice dodge of that road boulder stuck in the creek... i had a creek crossing once upon a time with multiple hazards! ;) never heard of a chain derailment from a rock like that, just flooded boots and carb.
thanks again!

·
Registered
400 Posts
We continue on the tight side-hill singletrack after a couple of switchbacks where the camera wasn't on. Follow us as we experience the scary heights, multiple water crossings, and mechanical difficulties. Enjoy Part 2.

Excellent video. Just watching the hillside crossing gave my butt clenching muscles a damn good workout! Lol.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
It's funny, as I started getting things ready for Part 2, I'm like, "Geez, I must really suck at this! It's almost been a week, and I can't even get a 'like' from littletommy!". So, thanks for the kind words and for checking out my stuff.
I had to wait and watch it when we got back from Fred's ride. However, there are a lot of forum members who were not at Fred's ride so it is kind of strange to go over a week without a like. Bueller, Bueller! haha

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
looks like a completely different state compared to mr and mrs admiral's stomping grounds! nice dodge of that road boulder stuck in the creek... i had a creek crossing once upon a time with multiple hazards! ;) never heard of a chain derailment from a rock like that, just flooded boots and carb.
thanks again!

We do live on the edge of the desert but don't have to go far to be on the trails Wa Larry and Sidekick Chad were on. Mrs. Admiral would kill me if I even accidentally took her on a trail like this. But we have ridden some wider ATV trails (safer I think) up in North Idaho were these two crazies are riding.

Yeah, me and one of my boys were on trails like this but didn't turn out quite as well...so far (only through part II). Notice my son's KTM down in the creek where he tumbled off the trail. At least it wasn't at the cliff part which came later and in the dark.:eek:

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
You TWO crazy.

Well, your posting these video's so I know Sidekick Chad didn't strangle..you. ...or he died at where you cut Part II. haha. I actually think you work for a TV company cause you know right where to cut the video for all of us to be in suspense.

I hope you guys made it out before dark. Riding on a singletrack in the dark with extreme sidehill exposure without a headlight ain't fun.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Opp's...must have been asleep at the wheel!!! :p

Love ya brotha!!! :D

Your video's always rock!! :headbang:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You TWO crazy.

Well, your posting these video's so I know Sidekick Chad didn't strangle..you. ...or he died at where you cut Part II. haha. I actually think you work for a TV company cause you know right where to cut the video for all of us to be in suspense.

I hope you guys made it out before dark. Riding on a singletrack in the dark with extreme sidehill exposure without a headlight ain't fun.
Actually, it is he who loves planning to do this stuff. I am in front so I don't stab him in the neck on the rough parts. It is improving my riding, but I don't necessarily enjoy it... until I've made it through alive. I've learned that with a designated Motorcycle Trail, that it doesn't mean that it is a good idea to try it on a TW.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 49 Posts