·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been watching for a BW swingarm but they are few and far between, and considered to be extremely valuable up here.
And so far, over 3 years there was only one on CL, about $600 I think it was. In bad shape too.
I have considered going with an aftermarket super wide jackshaft swingarm made for the fat tire street bike crowd, some are nicely braced and are long too but they are quite spendy too of course.

A jackshaft is required to use on any bike to get the chain out far enough to clear the tire.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've been watching for a BW swingarm but they are few and far between, and considered to be extremely valuable up here.
And so far, over 3 years there was only one on CL, about $600 I think it was. In bad shape too.
I have considered going with an aftermarket super wide jackshaft swingarm made for the fat tire street bike crowd, some are nicely braced and are long too but they are quite spendy too of course.

A jackshaft is required to use on any bike to get the chain out far enough to clear the tire.
yeah - i have a parts BW with a swingarm too.

here's my nearly finished BW:

my separate parts BW is pretty rough, i still need to strip and media blast it to see the true condition of the swingarm. i may end up having one made as yet.

ken

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting that! My kind of custom!
I've got the frame and a good engine to make something very similar, just need the front end and rear end.
BUT wayyyy too many irons in the fire, so it'll nevvvvver happen. :>(
Sure fun to drool over though!
RicklesssS in Oregon

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
If I were younger and had the tools that I had 12 years ago, I would choose a DR 650 as a beginning and fit it to take the wheels of a Rokon.
Maybe even go two wheel drive with a high low transfer case.
Back then I didn't have the money to do it. Now I have the money but not the health or workshop and tools anymore.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Classified Moto did a XL600R shown in the Cafe Racer Annual magazine. If you like Cafe Racers at all, you should buy the current "Annual". I love the big thumpers, though I've never owned one. Hell, maybe I'd hate them if I owned one for a while.

I keep thinking I need an SR500, but don't see them often for sale. One was for sale a year or so back in Admiral's back yard, but was gone by the time I found out about it. Wish they had both kick and electric start. They're only kick start.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Classified Moto did a XL600R shown in the Cafe Racer Annual magazine. If you like Cafe Racers at all, you should buy the current "Annual". I love the big thumpers, though I've never owned one. Hell, maybe I'd hate them if I owned one for a while.

I keep thinking I need an SR500, but don't see them often for sale. One was for sale a year or so back in Admiral's back yard, but was gone by the time I found out about it. Wish they had both kick and electric start. They're only kick start.
yeah - the kick-only of the SR500 is a pain in the ass.
another route would be a DRZ400. smaller, lighter, more modern
i reckon it might be easier to adapt to a running DRZ than build something from scratch.
in NZ, i may be able to certify THAT bike for the road too!

Ken

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Took my Goldwing in for a recall today. While waiting for my ride home I had the time look the showroom over. To be truthful, there was nothing in there that impressed me. With all the pointy plastic, tippytoe highboy endures and such the TW just warmed my heart when I changed the carb gasket and fired it up for a short checkout. To sit flat footed and know in rough terrain I can catch it before it is too far over is a good feeling. The one dirt bike that caught my eye was the 50cc. I could see my grandson grinning from ear to ear ripping it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts