TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a 2021 with 40 miles on it, was stored for the winter and will not run now. It starts up but dies when you use the throttle.
It was only idling on choke but after cleaning the carb, and putting in a new spark plug, it runs without but still sounds terrible (like it wants to stall) then once I try to ride it it dies.

I checked the carb, it was the cleanest I have ever seen, but I still cleaned it anyways.

changed the spark plug as it was black.
Air filter is insanely clean
Drained the old gas and put new gas in.

What should I do next? What else could be the problem, considering how new the bike is.

·
Super Moderator
21,824 Posts
It’s a 2021 with 40 miles on it, was stored for the winter and will not run now. It starts up but dies when you use the throttle.
It was only idling on choke but after cleaning the carb, and putting in a new spark plug, it runs without but still sounds terrible (like it wants to stall) then once I try to ride it it dies.

I checked the carb, it was the cleanest I have ever seen, but I still cleaned it anyways.

changed the spark plug as it was black.
Air filter is insanely clean
Drained the old gas and put new gas in.

What should I do next? What else could be the problem, considering how new the bike is.
Carbs not clean enough. Buy some Lucus deep clean fuel treatment or Seafoam, put 4 or 5 ounces in and ride the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately yeah. It’s weird though because my ttr125 started up no problem and is running fine. It’s very frustrating that the newer one is the one with problems!
Also plan on on using ethanol free gas after this, I finally found a place to get it. I already know it’s not a good thing to use

·
Registered
206 Posts
Your pilot jet is plugged.

Also there’s a float bowl drain screw on the carb. You should drain the bowl whenever you won’t be riding for more than about a week. If you drain it all the time ethanol fuel won’t give you any carb issues.

·
Registered
23,298 Posts
Just guessing but sounds like running lean right off the bottom of RPM range.
Certainly another inspection of pilot jet, etc can't hurt as well as confirming "idle mixture screw" is open 2 to 2.5 revolutions.
However sometimes these bikes don't transition well from a slow idle to a drivable throttle responsiveness without a very long warm up. One of mine can be like this after sitting for some time. Then only starts happily and accelerates away if the throttle stop is screwed in perhaps 2 revolutions. This is w/o the enriching circuit activated ( choke) when more than a mile high. Makes for a fast idle once bike warms up. If your idle stop knob and cable are hard to turn then lubing cable and replacing OEM spring with half a BIC ballpoint pen spring gives amazing results.

Reactions: elime

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Your pilot jet is plugged.
I agree. Mine has done this several times. I've even removed the pilot jet and could see daylight though all the holes. I ran spray carb cleaner through and it shot out the far side. I use Seafoam with every tank. I drain the bowl after every ride. And STILL the damn bike ran like shit if it sat for any length of time. Finally good old Fred had the courage to tell me it's still the pilot jet and to run a guitar wire through it. Someone else, I think it was Brian, sent me a dental file used for root canals. I used the wire and micro wire file and reassembled. The bike ran like a top! Never has it run this good since new and even then it didn't run this good.
I then added a fuel filter to the fuel line and I quit draining the carb after every ride. I started using a different fuel preservative, Startron. Here's a link;
Amazon.com: Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Regular Gas Formula 8 oz - Treats 48 Gallons, Model Number: 14308: Automotive

So, I suggest you use a mechanical means and run a wire or dental file through the pilot jet and add a fuel filter.
I also suggest you bump the pilot jet up from stock #31 to #34. This will allow the bike to start without choke when air temp is above 60 degrees.

Here's a link to the files;
Amazon.com: Easyinsmile Dental Endo Hand Use H-File 25mm Files Endodontic Stainless Steel Reamers 1pack(45-80#): Beauty

Use white #15 files (white handle) for #31 pilot and #10 (purple handle) for #34 pilot. Or get a set of several mix sizes.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
#34 Pilot Jet, Yamaha Part Number
5LB-14342-17-00JET, PILOT (#34)

Ride for smiles and smiles after replacing it. Welcome to the forum!

Marty

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Not if it’s a plugged pilot jet, that’s a maintenance item not a warranty item.
Besides, I've yet to meet a mechanic at a motorcycle dealership that knew how to identify the source of such a problem, let alone know how to fix one. There are things a TW owner should know how to do and one of them is how to service their carb. And the first step in that is learning how to access it without removing the carb. There are tricks; remove the tank, free the throttle cables from the wire catch that was under the tank, loosen the boots fore and aft of the carb and rotate one way to gain access to the bowl and the other way to gain access to the diaphragm and needle assembly. Also learning how to NOT loose the little spring under the white tophat that covers the needle. Ha!
Oh, and using the right tools, like JIS screw drivers instead of phillips.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
172 Posts
Whenever I am putting my bike away for more than a day I shut off the fuel and run the bike until it dies. Never had a clogged pilot jet.

I've bought bikes with clogged pilots and the best method to fix it is to just toss the old pilot and put in a new one. I don't know how much time I've wasted trying to clean a jet but it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Besides, I've yet to meet a mechanic at a motorcycle dealership that knew how to identify the source of such a problem, let alone know how to fix one. There are things a TW owner should know how to do and one of them is how to service their carb. And the first step in that is learning how to access it without removing the carb. There are tricks; remove the tank, free the throttle cables from the wire catch that was under the tank, loosen the boots fore and aft of the carb and rotate one way to gain access to the bowl and the other way to gain access to the diaphragm and needle assembly. Also learning how to NOT loose the little spring under the white tophat that covers the needle. Ha!
Oh, and using the right tools, like JIS screw drivers instead of phillips.
Thank you for the lesson. JIS screw driver is next on my needs list.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Whenever I am putting my bike away for more than a day I shut off the fuel and run the bike until it dies. Never had a clogged pilot jet.

I've bought bikes with clogged pilots and the best method to fix it is to just toss the old pilot and put in a new one. I don't know how much time I've wasted trying to clean a jet but it isn't worth it.
Compressed air usually opens a jet. If not, small wire or guitar string will.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.