TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first tw200 last week and love it. I'm having troubles though getting it to idle on low correctly. I can get it to start up just fine with the choke pulled out, but when I push it back in it wants to die unless I turn the idler screw way up. It does this even after riding a long period of time. It will run really strong and then almost die, really strong, then almost die. I can ride it how it is, but it will jump a little when shifting in first or second gear. I've tried putting in a new spark plug, spraying carb cleaner on both side openings, put in new gas, and added a lucas gas additive. Are there any other recommendations you can make? Do you think I need to do a complete carb rebuild? Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
?..Do you think I need to do a complete carb rebuild? Thanks, Jason
Probably a good cleaning will do.

The idle problem is caused by a clogged/dirty pilot jet.

It needs to be cleaned, along with the fuel and air passages associated with it.

Including the pilot screw passageway.

Sometimes a fuel system cleaner added to the gas will work (Seafoam or similar product), but it doesn't work immediately.

It may take several days of running the engine, then letting it sit, to see if the cleaner will work.

If the pilot jet/passageways are completely stopped up, the cleaners won't work. There needs to be at least a minimal amount of fuel flow.

It depends on how old your TW is, whether or not you need to replace carb parts, or just clean them.

jb

Reactions: retmotor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I will take the carburetor apart, give it a good cleaning and adjust the pilot screw before buying any new parts. I also plan to get a fuel filter to prevent anything else getting sucked in there. Also, my bike is a 2007 with only 1200 miles. So I assume the gas sat in there quite a bit between rides. The previous owner left the gas on after riding too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.