TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standing in line in the bank yesterday when a woman walked in and told me that someone just hit my bike which was parked in the bank's parking lot and knocked it over. She told me a LAWYER hit it, apparently not seeing it in the parking space. The guy out of the car, picked up the bike with someone's help, got back into the car and drove of. Luckily it's a small island and almost everybody knows everybody. So the woman told me the name of the lawyer. Thank god no major damage, only a scratched left rear flasher and scratched helmet. But I was pissed that he just took off without saying anything or leaving a note. Anyway, met with him last evening and the guy had the nerves to tell me that he thought there was no damage to the bike. I told him I was happy that he knows my bike so well but asked him about the scratched flasher and helmet to which he responded "no big deal". I was not very friendly to the guy after his comment. Told him I insist on a new flasher since I really take good care of my bikes and don't see any reason why I should drive around with a scratched flasher. The flasher is about $45 in US. Add shipping, duty and handling to the island and we are talking about $200. For the inconvenience I added another $50. As he hesitated I told him that we also can walk over to the police station which is just 50 yards away. He decided to pay. But I am still pissed
, he as a lawyer really should know better.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You should get him to pay for a new helmet as well, once a helmet takes a hit or falls to the ground it is compromised and should be replaced...

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only difference between a dead squirrel in the road and a dead lawyer in the road are the skid marks before the squirrel

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree that as a lawyer he should know better. The problem is most lawyers think that as experts in the law they're above it.
In the u.s. leaving the scene is illegal. If it were me I would file a police report, then tell the guy you won't press charges if he covers the damage, including the helmet.

·
Registered
925 Posts
File an accident report with the local police. See how he likes a "leaving the scene of an accident" citation. Don't let people get away with that type of behavior. If the guy had apologized and offered to have a reputable shop fix "anything that was broken", then, fine. But not now. I would file, wait for the judge to decide on the charge, and then sue him. If you don't want to I am sure you can find someone that hates him that will do it for free. I bet he has lots of enemies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This guy's walking across the farm so I go out and he explains he shot a deer next door and was retrieving it. I told him he was trespassing and should've come to the house first. He started this bit about being a lawyer and I says, "Wait a minute. You're a big boy. How's about we do it country style? We go blow for blow till one man quits." He said that was fine with him. "I'll go first." And I reached out and kicked him as hard as I could in the balls. He got up slowly off the ground with this scary grin on his face and said, "Now it's my turn." I says, "Nah. I quit. Go get your deer."

·
Registered
794 Posts
Standing in line in the bank yesterday when a woman walked in and told me that someone just hit my bike which was parked in the bank's parking lot and knocked it over. She told me a LAWYER hit it, apparently not seeing it in the parking space. The guy out of the car, picked up the bike with someone's help, got back into the car and drove of. Luckily it's a small island and almost everybody knows everybody. So the woman told me the name of the lawyer. Thank god no major damage, only a scratched left rear flasher and scratched helmet. But I was pissed that he just took off without saying anything or leaving a note. Anyway, met with him last evening and the guy had the nerves to tell me that he thought there was no damage to the bike. I told him I was happy that he knows my bike so well but asked him about the scratched flasher and helmet to which he responded "no big deal". I was not very friendly to the guy after his comment. Told him I insist on a new flasher since I really take good care of my bikes and don't see any reason why I should drive around with a scratched flasher. The flasher is about $45 in US. Add shipping, duty and handling to the island and we are talking about $200. For the inconvenience I added another $50. As he hesitated I told him that we also can walk over to the police station which is just 50 yards away. He decided to pay. But I am still pissed
, he as a lawyer really should know better.
What are you playing nice guy for? Call the cops. They make a report. You file your insurance. Your bike get fixed. His premium gets screwed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately our police force is not as efficient as it should be. About 4 years ago a woman hit my Dodge Durango and dented the fender. I had a witness who took note of the other vehicle, including make, model, color and license plate number. I went to the police to report. I am not joking, but I went back at least 15 times, they took my statement 3 times because they could not find the previous. They never contacted the witness. I followed up for almost 1 year, eventually even I gave up. So, police is really not an option as long as nobody got hurt.
I was better off to take the $200 and hit on his reputation by spreading the word about his crooked behavior. As mentioned before, we are a small place and idiots are not very much liked here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That sucks, exact same thing happened to mine but it was just left knocked over with no leads to who did it. Feel your pain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Suzuki got run over in a parking spot a few years ago. No note and nobody talked. I didn't have comprehensive and it cost me $1500 to fix it. A couple years later I put another $2,200 into it to make it mint again, new bolts, chain and sprockets, mirrors, brake and clutch levers, brakes, fork seals, handlebars, tires, battery ect. I realized I really didn't have the money for the repairs (I put them on a credit card) so I decided to sell it and had a guy who was interested that same day. He was going to come out on the weekend to close the deal. The NEXT DAY someone at my apartment was mad that I got it all fixed up apparently and totaled it with a crow bar and knife. The cops came and even though I saw the guy running from the scene, wouldn't do anything about it. They just said, "That's just between you and your insurance company". Still didn't have comprehensive, still not covered. I lost thousands because of others, so I feel your pain. I'll never call the cops again either. I want to get a TW200 but I fear the same thing will happen. I'll get comprehensive insurance next time though!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You should get him to pay for a new helmet as well, once a helmet takes a hit or falls to the ground it is compromised and should be replaced...
rbm makes a very good point. If the helmet hit the ground it should be replaced.

That guy needs to compensate you for the helmet and flasher.

Congratulations to the woman who was nice enough to tell you what happened. Good for her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"Luckily it's a small island and almost everybody knows everybody....."

(cue the voice of a 1940s wiseguy gangster type) Hmmmm, be ashame if you fell off this little island.

Should also add that a motorcycle is safer if parked almost at the back edge of a parking spot so it is visable before stupid lawers, soccer moms under the influence of screaming brats, etc start pulling into a spot.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Apparently, there are some here with the misguided view that Lawyers should have some degree of honesty! LOL

Laws are different in most other parts of the world but Lawyers are pretty much the same dirt bags everywhere.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
that was chicken shit for him to leave. Get a new helmet out of it along with your flasher. That old helmet can only be used for a backup now......

·
Registered
814 Posts
Spreading the word about his lack of ethics is probably good free advertising for him. I'd be hard pressed to mention his name.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Only helmets that hit the ground with a head in it should be replaced. If you drop an empty helmet from less then 5 feet it should only receive superficial damage. It is the weight of your head that will damage the foam inside making it unsafe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts