TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone

Am i correct in saying: If my bike was running like a dream on a long sandy road and then wala, out of the blue she cant open throttle past idle because she stutters and quits. Whoever always returning to a perfect idle.
1. i inserted a new globe for the headlight 3 days prior
2. I filled a half a tank of gas the previous day

Should i start with changing the fuel and then carb?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Has the bike been sitting without running for long? Did you recently fill it up with gas? Sounds carb related to me. Will it get past the stumble and run OK at high revs?

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Lucus Deep Creep Fuel Cleaner or Seafoam
3oz for the tank.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I recently struggled with the same thing. It was running rich and stumbling at about 1/4 throttle. I removed the carb and checked everything out. After installing, it did the same thing. I had great spark at the plug but it was black and sooty.

It ended up being a mouse nest in the airbox slowing airflow. Stinking mice.

I'd pull the plug and see what color the ceramic is. If it is black, you are either getting too much fuel or not enough air.

Let us us know what you find. Good luck!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine was lugging around yesterday and then the bike kept dying when i opened the throttle. Thought i was gonna push my bike all the way home. I opened the airbox cover up and saw a white paste at the bottom. Also the yellow plastic contaminant/excess tube behind the carburetor on the left side of the bike was full of that paste. Apparently i sprayed too much air filter oil on the foam. I decided to give her a good rinsing so it's mostly water now and squeeze excess out. Hopefully she runs better.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Even after cleaning the air filter foam, the bike is still lugging and dying. I think i might not have seated the cam chain tensioner after inspection and the spring is still compressed all the way. I will check that and also flip the intake valve cover upside down as i see the inside shape is assymetrical. I hate myself for tinkering with the engine when nothing was broken :(

·
Registered
921 Posts
Even after cleaning the air filter foam, the bike is still lugging and dying. I think i might not have seated the cam chain tensioner after inspection and the spring is still compressed all the way. I will check that and also flip the intake valve cover upside down as i see the inside shape is assymetrical. I hate myself for tinkering with the engine when nothing was broken :(
Did you recently adjust the valves? One time, I had one of the lock-nuts come ALL the way off the adjuster on the exhaust valve. The bike ran but not very well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Did you recently adjust the valves? One time, I had one of the lock-nuts come ALL the way off the adjuster on the exhaust valve. The bike ran but not very well.
Yikes. Yes i did recently adjust the valves. I found the exhaust locknut had loosed halfway up the adjuster. I readjusted my valves today and made sure to tighten the locknuts real tight. I checked the cam chain tensioner and did an oil change. Tapping noise still present :(

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yikes. Yes i did recently adjust the valves. I found the exhaust locknut had loosed halfway up the adjuster. I readjusted my valves today and made sure to tighten the locknuts real tight. I checked the cam chain tensioner and did an oil change. Tapping noise still present :(
My '95 has "loud tappets". I refurbished a '98 and it was VERY quiet. Most here report that this engine (at least the early years) is noisy. The '98 had 6000+ miles, my '95 has 3400+/-. I think they quiet-down as they age. How many miles on yours?

·
Registered
648 Posts
My '95 has "loud tappets". I refurbished a '98 and it was VERY quiet. Most here report that this engine (at least the early years) is noisy. The '98 had 6000+ miles, my '95 has 3400+/-. I think they quiet-down as they age. How many miles on yours?
Mine is a 2006. It was very quiet until i tinkered with it at 10,000 miles. This is one for the "don't fix what ain't broken. Had a dealer do valve adjustment at 8,000 miles and it was just as quiet as when i bought it with 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
My TW ran rich. After taking the carb apart many times in desperation I bought a new high speed jet for it -- problem solved.
Holding the new and old jet side by side I could see the hole in the center had eroded larger.

Jet3.jpg

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Yep! Combination of erosion and corrosion -- the surface corrodes and the erosion washes it away and the hole get bigger. The jet was 26 years old when I replaced it. The bike went from running rich to running beautifully. The same thing happened on my parts bike -- and it runs great now!!!!

Just to make it clear, to fix the running rich problem, I tried resetting the float level several time. I played with the idle mixture screw, I rerouted vent hoses, I messed around with the choke -- it was a move of desperation when I bought the new jet but when I compared the new with the old I knew my troubles were over!

If you have an older bike and it is running rich and you can't figure out why I strongly recommend getting a new high speed jet. It worked for me on 2 TW's.

Here is another view. Brass doesn't last forever and I bet ethanol in the gas doesn't help. All those little divots are the result of corrosion.

P5280015.JPG

·
Registered
648 Posts
Readjusted the valves. Bike no longer dies and rides almost perfect. Still lunging a little bit. Taking it to a shop on tuesday to see if a mechanic can do wonders

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well Darryl, have you had any luck in fixing the problem yet?

I was just thinking, that sounds pretty much like a main jet that either fell out or else is plugged. I've had both happen to me. Yesterday I took a long offroad cross country ride and crossed into the DR through the woods. As soon as I got into the DR my bike quit. It was doing the same thing yours was. With a limited selection of tools I took off the carb and looked in it and found a chunk of silicone stuck in the main jet. Put it together and it ran great again until I ran out of gas..... But I'll save that story for another time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Zack...Im about to create an artificial reef with my TDub....After 5 solid days of thumb sucking, cleaning carbs ect...i still cannot resolve my bikes gremlin...
i noticed that my fuse was blown, replaced it and still same issue......What electrical problems would create a bike that is all over the show, good, bad, worse and then back to good?? Where do i look next?

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you're sure the problem is not carb related, then I don't have enough experience to tell you where to look next. Maybe someone else here on the forum has some excellent advice that they would love to share.

I don't know your level of mechanical knowledge, but if you can't fix it, taking it to the dealer doesn't hurt anything but your bank account.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had an old Honda dirtbike that would do this every once in awhile, it took a lot of troubleshooting and figuring out, but the connection between the coil and the cdi was corroded and cleaning that with a wire brush and some dialetic grease fixed the problem

1 - 20 of 27 Posts