TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I love this Forum and people have given me a lot tips and information on TW. I feel that it is my responsibility to give back. Today I added a set of Acerbis Hand guards and a Bike Master LED replacement head light. I will give you my honest opinion and review.

For the Bike Master LED replacement light, It's really not worth the money, I have not seen any improvement VS the original Halogen lamp. Other then being a little whiter. Unless your planing to add heated grips or a vest and want to drop in amperage draw. The Halogen lamp is 50-60 watts and the Led is 25 watts. Probably add some auxiliary Led lights, next project...

For the Acerbis grips, I love the results and look good on the TW. I ordered the SKU # 2244140001 and this is a nice kit, it comes with two set of plastic guards. Fitting on a Tw requires some modifications. I had to take the grinder and dremel to in large the mounting points, but very happy with the end results.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Sorry the bike Master H4 bulb was a disappointment. Guess there are LEDs and then there are LEDs.
Here is my LED equipped bike just a bit ahead of SanDue’s halogen bulbed bike last weekend. I enjoy a noticeable difference in illumination. With the reduced draw now you could add auxilliary lights to improve things a bit. Fred found Dan.JPG

The all black hardware of you Acerbis hand guards is extremely nice and having the extra larger plastics for cold or brushy rides is a real bonus. IMG_4010[1].JPG

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry the bike Master H4 bulb was a disappointment. Guess there are LEDs and then there are LEDs.
Here is my LED equipped bike just a bit ahead of SanDue’s halogen bulbed bike last weekend. I enjoy a noticeable difference in illumination. With the reduced draw now you could add auxilliary lights to improve things a bit. View attachment 136906

The all black hardware of you Acerbis hand guards is extremely nice and having the extra larger plastics for cold or brushy rides is a real bonus. View attachment 136898
What brand of led light are you running?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
On the right LED lights and on the left Halogen, not much difference View attachment 137034 ...
Hard to tell by the pictures but......... I see a rather large difference between the two. Maybe adjusting the headlight up a bit would provide better results? Seems a lot of your light is being lost straight down on the front fender.

Tom

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to tell by the pictures but......... I see a rather large difference between the two. Maybe adjusting the headlight up a bit would provide better results? Seems a lot of your light is being lost straight down on the front fender.

Tom
Yes there is a difference in color, the LED is more white and the halogen is more yellow. I don't really care about the color, I need more light to see better at night. I did some investigating and found a product from Cyclops, it's a replacement light with 7000 Lumen instead of 2400 on the bike master. Should have ordered this instead of the Bike Master. hesitated a bit cause it is a little more expensive, but now I know why... Worst thing about it is that Fortnine the place where I purchased the Bike Master Light will not refund me because I already installed the light on my bike. at the moment writing messages to Bike Master to see what can be done. What a waste of time and energy. I just want to return the dame thing and get a refund!!

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
TW200Quebec:
This is the H4 bulb in depicted bike: 1pcs H4 Super Bright 6000k 3000lm 32w Dc12v Led Lamp DRL Fog Light LED Motorcycle Headlight Bulb for KTM HondaThat is just the 32watt version. My other bike has the 55Watt equivalent and it really puts out significantly more light.
For auxilliary lights I like the rectangular beam pattern and overall quality of these ones that mount directly to lower fork clamp bolts: Willpower 2PCS 4 inch 20W 4D LED Work Light Lamp Spot Beam Headlight LED Driving SpotlightFor SUV Truck Boat 4x4 LED Offroad Drive Fog Lamp ATV Auto Car Motorcycle,Truck,Heacy Duty Paired together these lights draw approximately the same as a stock halogen H4 bulb.
If you wish to stay technically legal there are upgraded halogen H4s from HELLA and Sylvania Superstar somewhat better than the stock. In the USA I believe the often ignored law remains that LEDs are only permissible if vehicle was available from manufacturer with an LED option.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Tom
Yes there is a difference in color, the LED is more white and the halogen is more yellow. I don't really care about the color, I need more light to see better at night. I did some investigating and found a product from Cyclops, it's a replacement light with 7000 Lumen instead of 2400 on the bike master. Should have ordered this instead of the Bike Master. hesitated a bit cause it is a little more expensive, but now I know why... Worst thing about it is that Fortnine the place where I purchased the Bike Master Light will not refund me because I already installed the light on my bike. at the moment writing messages to Bike Master to see what can be done. What a waste of time and energy. I just want to return the dame thing and get a refund!!

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
No need to buy into the claims of expensive marketers like the Cyclops, you are paying more for marketing and middlemen than the product itself, and quite often you are being offered their older inventory that has been subsequently eclipsed by newer products. Plus you rarely can get the service you assume you have paid for by paying ~300% over buying from a source closer to the manufacturer in the supply stream. The technology is widespread and readily available for a fraction of the cost if you can cut out some of the middlemen.
Here is what less than $30 total outlay including shipping can get you a year ago, yet better, brighter and more affordable options come seemingly every day.

I have subsequently replaced the auxilliary lights with vastly superior 4D fisheye lens units for about a $10 cost increase over the “Locomotive” lights I recommended a year ago.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No need to buy into the claims of expensive marketers like the Cyclops, you are paying more for marketing and middlemen than the product itself, and quite often you are being offered their older inventory that has been subsequently eclipsed by newer products. Plus you rarely can get the service you assume you have paid for by paying ~300% over buying from a source closer to the manufacturer in the supply stream. The technology is widespread and readily available for a fraction of the cost if you can cut out some of the middlemen.
Here is what less than $30 total outlay including shipping can get you a year ago, yet better, brighter and more affordable options come seemingly every day.

I have subsequently replaced the auxilliary lights with vastly superior 4D fisheye lens units for about a $10 cost increase over the “Locomotive” lights I recommended a year ago.
You are totally right, that's why it would be greatly appreciated if you would share the info, what LED lights are you using and where was it purchased (link)

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
These lights may have superseded those deleted in the link listed in post #9. Same housings are also available with older generation CREE chipsets.
WEISIJI LED Motorcycle Driving Lights 20W Reflected Lens Led Truck Lights Heavy Duty LED…

I have the originally listed lights on a 4x4 as well as one of my TWs. Spot beam pattern has very crisp edges to a very square area of illumination, like intense boxes of brilliance projected ahead. Care should be used to mount lights level or projected beams will not be level and thus possibly disconcerting, you do not want to be looking at diamond shapes ahead;). Mounting directly to lower fork clamps works well and lights may be individually aimed while motoring along. No additional brackets needed. At only ~1.6 amp draw a relay is not mandatory. I like a handlebar mounted arming switch that is then triggered by the OEM Hi-beam switch. A flood option is also available. Wire leads are of acceptable gauge unlike many Chinese LEDs that seem to come with impossibly tiny 22 gauge wire. Insulated jacket over wire leads is pleasingly thick and flexible. Lenses, like the industry standard, are polycarbonate and thus more susceptible to scratches than a tempered glass. Accordingly clean carefully. One of these lights on my 4x4 got smacked by something pretty good, damage was limited to a thuroughly pretzled mounting bracket but I removed, re-shaped and re-installed with lasting success. Only a dozen operational hours or so but I am rather pleased with quality.
I had ordered these for my 4x4 but vendor shipped a second bonus set of lights so I replaced weaker $7 “Locomotive Lights” formerly mounted on both bikes. I feel it was a vast improvement. I selected a vendor with inventory stateside via Amazon’s distribution centers so shipping time was about a week rather than a month or so if ordered from a source in the" Devine Land", the People’s Republic of China.

As far as the three sided light pylon of the H4 bulb listed I am also quite pleased with quality and service life so far. It’s cooling fan is far quitter than another unit I had whose high beam chip failed after ~5 hours. Plus the generated beam is much more uniform than simpler LED H4s with 2 low beam chips and 1 hi beam chip all located on one side of the bulb’s pylon. TW headlight reflector is the traditional parabolic design designed for a point source filament at the focal point so none of any LED chip arrays will ever replicate a point source halogen filament. However the three sided emission of light fills in the gaps of the projected illumination fairly well as evidenced by the linked videos.
This style of LED is getting available from a variety of vendors and in a variety of wattage. My other bike has the possibly over bright 55 watt bulb I believe, also with the 6000 degree Kelvin black body radiation color. One can pay anywhere from $20 to $100 for versions of this style from different vendors but I cannot attest to variations in quality. Pays to read reviews by other customers. Expect to pay about $30 more for the same bulb if marketing hype say applications are for Harley-Davidson, BMW, Ducati or other expensive bikes as their owners have been trained to buy the pricier options assuming they are getting the best.:p

·
Registered
736 Posts
there are H4 that are 80/55, but that might be too much draw for the Tdub system. That's what I ran on my BMW over the years and it was the most I wanted to do. I used to do a lot of my traveling at night, so I needed the extra. The shape of the beam you see depends on the lens cut and the size of the lens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts