TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 TW, about 1800 miles on it. It has a shorai battery, so I doubt the issue is battery-related.

Friday the bike would not start, no sound, no turn-over, nothing at all. Rolled it out of garage, put up kickstand, held in clutch, and miraculously it started perfectly fine.

Tried to go for a ride yesterday, it again would not start. But the same efforts as Friday did not fix it this time. Just does nothing.

I read up on this forum that it could be the sidestand switch, so I got some wire and will attempt to bypass it this afternoon. I read it could also be the neutral safety switch or the clutch safety switch, but could not figure out how to access those to bypass.

Possibly related: a year ago I crashed the bike at low speeds trying to stop for a red light on a wet road, it hit the road on the left side. I was unharmed, the bike got a new front tire (tire was worn out anyways, but the crash seemed to have unseated the tire a bit, it was wobbling and unstable) and new turn signal bulbs and otherwise seemed fine.

I need this bike, its how I commute and is my only transportation, and I'm heartbroken that it isn't running. If it was anything but electrical, I could probably figure it out. But electrical stuff stumps me, I'm totally clueless about that stuff. Any help would be much appreciated

Super Moderator
First off, take the battery out and take it to a auto parts store and have them load test it. You are always better off checking the battery first, before starting to trouble shoot other problems. Often times, it is the battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it isn't the sidestand safety switch. At least, I think it isn't. I removed it and used a 14g wire to jump across the posts on the connector, the bike clicked but nothing else, did not start, did not turn over, made no indication that it was even trying to start.

Reason why I doubt its the battery is it is one of those fancy shorai less than a year old and this past Friday it started perfectly on the first spin, but of course I don't know that much. However, since the TW is my only transportation and buses don't run much where I live, I have no way of taking the battery to get tested until next Friday at the earliest.

Could someone help me with finding and bypassing the clutch or neutral safety switches? That I should be able to do, keeping my fingers crossed that its that simple and my bike will start and get me where I need to go by Monday. :)

Registered
Have you tried to "push start" it? (Why would any one build a motorcycle without a kick starter?)

With only 1800 miles, I doubt anything REALLY serious is wrong. Start with the basics: Gas and spark. Don't do anything until you know if there is gas in the cylinder and spark at the plug.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried to "push start" it? (Why would any one build a motorcycle without a kick starter?)

With only 1800 miles, I doubt anything REALLY serious is wrong. Start with the basics: Gas and spark. Don't do anything until you know if there is gas in the cylinder and spark at the plug.
Oops! Missed a zero. It's got just over 18000 miles... It just had a valve adjustment, soon due for an oil change, and hasn't had any serious problems until now (aside from when I crashed it, obviously, that was more my problem).

It isn't the clutch safety switch, found it and bypassed that too, and bike still won't start.

There is gas, the fuel lines are clear and the inline fuel filter is not clogged. Spark plug looks okay, my maintenance records say I last replaced it at 9118.4mi. Probably due for a replacement, but it looks fine. How do I see if the spark plug is generating spark? And, what would that tell me given that the last time the bike started it did so without any problems, ran without any problems?

Just a note, I am seriously not trying to be a smart-ass at all (sometimes I know I come off that way based on how I ask questions). I just don't know shit and I really don't know what that would tell me. I'll put the bike back together and see if push-starting it down the driveway does any good. Installing a kick-starter is on my list of things to do, still looking for a good mechanic that I'd trust to do that since I don't think I can do it myself.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
If it wont even turn over then you can't check to see if it has spark. It is electrical, and some connection some where is not making contact.

That's what I thought but I was only guessing. :D

The lights come on when I turn the key, the kill switch is set to on. I flipped it back and forth to see if it was just stuck or something, but didn't help. Can I bypass the kill switch, at least temporarily? If so, how do I do that?

I also have yet to check the neutral safety switch, not found that one yet, think that's the last one I have yet to find. Sorry, I know I'm fixating on the safety switches, but with my previous bikes those were always a source of frustration.

Super Moderator
I'm not saying that it "is" the problem, but any electrician would start with a "known" good battery before testing anything else.

It is simply step number 1 in the process of elimination

Always start with a known good battery when troubleshooting your bike for problems regarding: starting, charging, lighting, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not saying that it "is" the problem, but any electrician would start with a "known" good battery before testing anything else.

It is simply step number 1 in the process of elimination

Always start with a known good battery when troubleshooting your bike for problems regarding: starting, charging, lighting, etc.
I was pretty sure it was a known good battery. But my housemate has just agreed to take tomorrow off work to drive me to get it tested. Could have something to do with him coming home finding me with my arms around my bike crying... In any case, guess we shall see tomorrow.

I did read through the other thread that was linked to here, and it gave me a few other ideas to try, more places to look for loose connections, but it still won't start. I think I've exhausted my electrical abilities, if the battery checks out fine. If so, I'll have to figure out how to get the poor bike to a real mechanic.

Thanks for the help, everyone, it is much appreciated. Especially since I'm new here and my first post was all demanding assistance and not even a hello. I swear I'm not so rude normally! :)

Super Moderator
Welcome Pixieboy to the forum! :)

Glad you are getting it checked out. So many members here start with replacing parts they think might be the problem. It can take countless hours and $ to find problems this way. Always, start with checking the battery first.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome Pixieboy to the forum! :)

Glad you are getting it checked out. So many members here start with replacing parts they think might be the problem. It can take countless hours and $ to find problems this way. Always, start with checking the battery first.
Thanks for the welcome. :) Had no idea there was an entire forum devoted to this awesome bike! Most people don't seem to think much of it, especially not for someone who's been riding as long as I have. But I love it. It makes me look bigger than I am. :D

Luckily I'm a bit too broke to just go buying new parts without knowing for sure what is needed otherwise I might (okay, probably!) have done that. I get a bit crazy when I can't ride.

Registered
Fuse issue? Not sure as this hasn't happened to me and you said your lights came on, but can the main fuse have blown?

This has happened to me. As to switches, sometimes when I pushed my starter button, nott'in happened. In my case I cleaned the start switch electrics by taking it apart. It was really dirty/dusty.

Registered
squirt some WD40 in the kill switch n rock it back n forth then see鈥.you could take the right side panel off and short the starter out to see if it turns over鈥AKE SURE ITS IN NEUTRAL before doing this otherwise you and the bike will be in a pile on the floor!!
the starter could have stuck, pull the rubber boots off to expose the battery terminals, get a screwdriver, spanner, etc and short across both at the same time..it will make a few sparks until you get a firm contact but you should hear the starter spin if the bike starts the i'd say it was the main fuse blown or the neutral switch or white relay, shorting the starter is basically bypassing those the switches
i think the clutch switch only comes into play when the bikes in gear鈥︹ight have been totally over looked but you do have the bike in natural??? sorry it that sounds like a dumb question but i just finished my latest TW project had it running and starting fine..went to road test it n stalled at my gate鈥ike was dead鈥.bit of swearing removed the seat changed the battery..still dead鈥ut into natural to push back into my workshop(still swearing)..accidently touched the start button and away it went!!!!..DOH!

the 'click' you heard when you bypassed the side stand switch was the white relay..that controls the starting side of the wiring..the other is the lighting side..not sure but maybe on the later models those relays can be swapped around..you could try that too

Registered
Welcome, sorry to hear of persistant electrical gremlin-itis. All good advice above. I would double check fuse amd battery connections under seat. Could your roomate possibly try to jump start your bike using his car battery? Have access to 12 volt battery charger? Somehow feed 12v into your bike independant of your Shorie? This is another way to evaluate health of your battery without taking it out for testing somewhere. Friendly neighbor have jumper cables?

Registered
Hi All. I'm new to the site (my first post here).. I just bought my first TW200. (A 2005 with 1100 miles on it). I've been experiencing a similar issue with not starting but would happen here and there.
Always tried starting in Neutral, kick stand down/up. Clutch in/out, run switch ON..battery completely charged. Push starts fine. Runs Great!!! But NOTHING when hit the start button. Key on and the lights come on, turn signals work, etc. Looked for obvious loose connections and nothing. Took starter off and it was ok & put back on. Just happened to push/jiggle on the Starter Relay switch (where the fuse is). BINGO...starts right up. Took the plug/connection out and one of the terminals was corroded. Cleaned it up and seems to have fixed the issue...Just wanted to share this in case it may help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Had the battery tested at Napa and Sears and it is apparently marginal, both said it was testing at about 2/3 of what it should under load. However, the bike still does the exact same thing (namely, nothing) with a brand new freshly charged battery. The lights all come on, but the bike does not even try to start. I hear one click the first time I press the starter button, and then nothing at all.

I took apart, checked, and cleaned all the electrical connections I could find. I took apart the starter and kill switches and they were hardly even dusty, but I cleaned them anyways. The fuse is fine. The clump of wire connections behind the headlight, under the seat, and behind the right side cover are all fine. The grounds are fine. No corrosion and none of the terminals were dirty enough to warrant cleaning, clearly I am not riding through mud often enough.

Have not tried push-starting because honestly there isn't anywhere really safe enough to do so.

What am I missing? Besides a truck and trailer to take it to a real mechanic, obviously...

Looks like I'm riding my bicycle and buses tomorrow. :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Did ya try what supachimp1 suggested above? About the starter I mean.
No... Forgot about that. I don't understand what he meant exactly. Meaning the starter motor itself, on the right side of the bike? Not the starter switchr? The switch I already tried, the motor not yet. I can do that tonight when I get home.

Did you check the fuse with a multi meter?
For continuity, yes, its good. That's all I know how to do with my multi-meter... :)

Saturday one time I tried to start it and realized it was not in neutral. I got all sorts of excited thinking I'd just been a dumb idiot, but no. Putting it back in neutral did nothing but turn on the shiny green neutral light. :( For once, I would have liked being that dumb!

Thanks!

Registered
18k miles? Well that will make a difference. Has the bike been in Seattle its entire life? If so, I bet there is electrical corrosion somewhere. If the lights are coming on, the fuse is probably okay. However, you mentioned you hear a click and then nothing. I am tempted to say a corroded connection is not allowing the full current to pass to the starter. It lets enough through for the lights (if it happens to be on the same circuit) but not enough for the starter.

Take the main fuse out and replace it, even if it looks ok. Really! It is a 15 amp "glass tube" common auto fuse (AGW15BP). It is only 7/8" long. I have seen MANY of them rot inside the fuse itself -- especially in marine applications or in a climate like Seattle.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts