TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new here, I'm from Chile, South America, and here TW200's are very rare, maybe 5-10 bikes in the entire country. They never imported them here.
But I found one abandoned with only 4000 miles. I changed the oil, clean the carb, check the valves and it started at the second kick. I think is a 1989.
The bike starts right away every time, but I press the clutch, put gear and it stops right away. I checked the side stand sensor and it looks ok, I took it out, cleaned it and lubricate it. After that I realized that something is missing in the clutch lever, maybe a clutch switch? And a blue cable is disconnected. I bet that's the problem but I preferred to ask the wise ones first.
Thanks in advance!
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle chain
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Automotive exterior
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle chain
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Is your kickstand up? If the kickstand is down it will kill the bike when put in gear.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The kickstand switch could be bad. I would check it first. Some of the safety features sound like it may have been removed. You will have to track down where it was removed and join the wires together without the switch to complete the circuit. I never messed with my wiring so I can't tell you which colors or any details on this. Others should be around soon.

·
Super Moderator
20,691 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new here, I'm from Chile, South America, and here TW200's are very rare, maybe 5-10 bikes in the entire country. They never imported them here.
But I found one abandoned with only 4000 miles. I changed the oil, clean the carb, check the valves and it started at the second kick. I think is a 1989.
The bike starts right away every time, but I press the clutch, put gear and it stops right away. I checked the side stand sensor and it looks ok, I took it out, cleaned it and lubricate it. After that I realized that something is missing in the clutch lever, maybe a clutch switch? And a blue cable is disconnected. I bet that's the problem but I preferred to ask the wise ones first.
Thanks in advance! View attachment 221422 View attachment 221423 View attachment 221422 View attachment 221423
Welcome to the forum!!

·
Super Moderator
20,691 Posts
Thank you!
I think you will love this motorcycle forum Zaplaje. We're famous for helping folks with anything we can, no matter the question. Please keep us posted on your progress and the fix, whatever it happens to be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you will love this motorcycle forum Zaplaje. We're famous for helping folks with anything we can, no matter the question. Please keep us posted on your progress and the fix, whatever it happens to be.
Thank you littletommy!
I'm very excited with my TW, I can't wait to ride it, so I hope I can find the problem soon!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Leave the kickstand down and have someone push in on the kickstand switch hard while you try to start it.
Works - it's the switch not being pressed hard enough. Remove all the wiring and tie the wires together up near the handlebars. This just bypasses it.
Doesn't work - Do the same thing.

If It still doesn't work, then it's something else. But this is a common cause.

·
Super Moderator
20,691 Posts
Thank you littletommy!
I'm very excited with my TW, I can't wait to ride it, so I hope I can find the problem soon!
Get it fixed, clean it up a little and you will have a great bike that will last you a long time. It doesn't have very many miles on it at all. (y) (y) (y)
That is a great find brother!!!

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
2021 TW
400 Posts
Senior, use the Search Community box at the top of the page. Put in " TW 200 1987. wiring diagram in color" . Its a great map of the wiring for the TW. Obviously you have some mechanical skills and el seso. This should help track down the problem and save time guessing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yes welcome to the forum. I noticed the speedometer is in MPH instead of KPH. Someone brought over a US model? Not that it makes any difference.
Oh thanks! Yeah I have some seso hahaha. We never got the tw in Chile, the few that you can find were imported used directly from Japan when it was legal (in the 90's, not anymore sadly), but I think mine was brought directly from the US because it have a Florida transportation department sticker, and yeah the speedo is in MPH. Tomorrow I will spend more time on it, I'm just trying to figure out if the lack of the clutch switch have something to do with the problem (as I showed in my first post photos). It's a big problem to get spare parts for it, although I import stuff all the time, it takes around one month to get the parts here and I'm so excited that I can't wait so long, I just want to bypass switches and goooo

·
Administrator
6,438 Posts
All TW’s have a safety switch that kills the engine if you try to put it in gear without first pulling in the clutch lever. The one you have does indeed have something missing on the clutch lever – that safety cut out that the blue wire goes into. It’s got nothing to do with the kickstand, this is a separate issue

How good are you with wiring diagrams ? - (and welcome to the board) …….

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All TW’s have a safety switch that kills the engine if you try to put it in gear without first pulling in the clutch lever. The one you have does indeed have something missing on the clutch lever – that safety cut out that the blue wire goes into. It’s got nothing to do with the kickstand, this is a separate issue

How good are you with wiring diagrams ? - (and welcome to the board) …….
Thank you Purple!
I can work with wiring diagrams. I checked the tw diagram and I see that 2 wires go to the clutch switch: blue and black/yellow. I found that blue one in the picture, I will look out for the black/yellow today. Do you think that if I tie both cables together should solve the problem for now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I worked with the bike today and the problem persist even with both switches (clutch and side stand) bypassed. I ran out of ideas :(

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Are you sure that it is an electrical problem?

Does the bike roll freely when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts