TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Are you sure that it is an electrical problem?

Does the bike roll freely when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in?
Yes it does, I did it in all the gears. After I wrote the last reply I started it, gas it and put 2nd with high revs and didn't stop, I could ride it for the first time for a couple of feets and stopped again. After that I tried many times with no luck

·
Registered
699 Posts
Are you letting the bike warm up? Does it buck forward when you put it in gear and then stalls?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Have you tried to run with the bike in neutral, jump on the bike clutch still out and bump it into 2nd gear while still rolling?
If the bike goes and you can ride it then the clutch switch will be the issue. I had to do this when my clutch cable broke so it will work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Are you letting the bike warm up? Does it buck forward when you put it in gear and then stalls?
Hi Errtu! No it doesn't buck forward because I have the clutch lever pressed, it just stops running inmediatly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Have you tried to run with the bike in neutral, jump on the bike clutch still out and bump it into 2nd gear while still rolling?
If the bike goes and you can ride it then the clutch switch will be the issue. I had to do this when my clutch cable broke so it will work.
I will try that next time I check the bike!

·
Registered
22,381 Posts
Neutral switch is the only other interlock but I can't imagine it's possible misbehavior somehow matching the reported symptoms...nothing does.:(
Out of curiosity what is your neutral light displaying both while in neutral and when shifting the gears causes the engine to die?
Any difference that when successfully operated in 2nd gear as in post #21?
The turn signals do not look like from '87 or '89 but rather from more recent years, no big deal.
A decal on US bike frame downtime has a code indicating model year.
Locating this could be helpful as the '87 had unique electrical issues with it's alternating current circuits.

Reactions: TWBigBlake

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Neutral switch is the only other interlock but I can't imagine it's possible misbehavior somehow matching the reported symptoms...nothing does.:(
Out of curiosity what is your neutral light displaying both while in neutral and when shifting the gears causes the engine to die?
Any difference that when successfully operated in 2nd gear as in post #21?
The turn signals do not look like from '87 or '89 but rather from more recent years, no big deal.
A decal on US bike frame downtime has a code indicating model year.
Locating this could be helpful as the '87 had unique electrical issues with it's alternating current circuits.
The neutral light only comes on in neutral. When running idling the light is on, I shift to any gear and the light turns off, and the engine dies. I will double check the model year, but it is the full blue model (tank, plastics, seat, fork boots) and with drum front brake. Yesterday I notice that the left handlebar switches and cables are not OEM so maybe the problem is there.
Another thing is that the battery is very weak, it can't start the bike with the starting button, I can only start it by kick start, but I don't think this could be related to the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Problem solved! It was a mix between the clutch lever switch cables (previous owner changed some cables, he put another color ones), so I was bypassing wrong cables. And it looks like there's some problems with the starting circuit cutoff relay because I bypassed the side stand switch and the problem persists, but I move the cables that goes to that relay and the bike runs and I can ride it. Now I will check the wiring I leave it as original as possible, clean her a little bit and restore it as much as I can.

Thanks to all!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts