TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 survived the Camp Fire here in Paradise CA but has some melty parts now I'm hoping you guys might have for purchase. Was originally gonna replace everything but now I m leaning towards leaving the plastics as is sort of like a badge of honor that she survived, still shocked the full tank of gas didn't blow. Anyway the seat is the main thing I'm looking for right now, the others maybe as well, and a chain guard though not as urgent. Would love to hear what you might have and thanks for looking.

Steve IMG_20181203_121100576_HDR.jpg

Super Moderator
Sounds like you have a great attitude for losing everything. I admire that. Hang in there brother.
Thanks Tommy, It was a crazy couple days thats for sure. It was one of few things that did make it so I figure I owe her some repairs lol

Registered
if you need original yellow fork boots, i have a pair, they're faded but intact and yours for just an address to mail.

btw: need more proof that '94 rainbow warriors rock?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses guys. Ill give it a closer look the next couple days, been so busy I havent had much chance. I ll check the seat pan more, it might be useable and yea I imagine grips and stuff will be needed eventually, airbox seemed to still seal solidly but not certain. Like I say I d thought to just rock the melted plastics for a while as a tribute of sorts especially given the historic proportions of this fire it seemed fitting, then again its a pretty clean low mileage rainbow warrior otherwise so it might be worth fully rejuvenating, gonna have to ponder that a bit more, let me give another look at the boots joeband I might just take you up on the offer. Im more than impressed the little bugger survived god knows how long parked less than ten feet from my fully involved garage that was hot enough to melt glass. Definitely a testament to its construction.

Registered
Hey Steve, welcome to the forum...wish it could be under different circumstances!

Please do let us know what all you need. I was going to offer like-new seat foam & cover, but Brian beat me to it!
I have a set of 4 turn signals if you need them, maybe some other stuff.
A set of new black grips but not OE. Never mounted.

Revised list:
Grips. "ProGrip" brand, new in box, black. Correct length.
2 OE fork side reflectors.
4 OE turn signals, these are later square-ish design.
OE front fender & mount.
OE headlight shroud.

All OE parts virtually "as new" condition. Take-offs from my 2014. Not sure "2014 Blue" is the same as yours, someone will know.
All free, but would like to get shipping charge.
Wish I had more.
Did you lose your riding gear? I can probably help there.

Stay strong, buddy...you will get through this!

PS - Suggestion: Even if you decide to keep the original "tribute" parts on the bike, you could go ahead and take the replacement parts offered. You might want to go back to "very nice" or pure OE at a later time, and just display the burned parts....in your "new" garage!

Registered
Opened and stared at that picture more than a few times. Pretty darn incredible. Even the fuel tank cap is partially melted, a much harder plastic than the body panels. I'd imagine the gas was a'bubblin?

I have an "as-new" OEM Seat that I swapped out for an already mounted Seat Concepts one a few years ago. It's from a 2006 so it does have a side-streak swarth of darker blue on each side. I'm not sure how that will look on a Rainbow Warrior when restored? 2006 was a "blue year".

It's already boxed and stored someplace (I'll find it) in my basement. Price to you is $0.00/Zero, just pay shipping from 10804 (New Rochelle, NY) which I can find out for you in a couple days. Heading to Florida after work today for a few days.

PM me if you think you can use it. Sorry for all your and everyone else's loss's out there. Seems theres a natural disaster of some sorts on a weekly basis nowadays.

The picture, there's a certain message of hope or perhaps something else that particular TW survived.

The OEM "Yamaha" one. No rips, tears, cuts. Basically a new take-off. Previous owner (member here) also did not use it.
IMG_5329.JPG

What it looked like on my 2006 before the seat swap.
IMG_4989.JPG

Registered
I'd feel bad if I didn't try to help when someone needed it. I'm glad you are ok.

I have a chain guard I can give you if you end up needing/wanting it. I also might have some plastics to a warrior but I'd have to go look for them and what plastics I have to confirm. I like the idea of keeping the melted plastics but if you change your mind let me know and I'll go look.

Gonna be hard to pick up the pieces from this disaster. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry its taken a while to respond been running all day. Anyway first off I just wanted to sincerely thank everyone whos responded, I think this is the best welcoming I ve had to any forum anywhere. Wishing I wouldve joined back when I bought the bike now, you guys are obviously a solid group. Also appreciate the words of encouragement, Ive lived in the sierra nevada mountains my entire 40 years and have never seen anything like this. If youd asked me a month ago if I knew anyone whos house burned down, I would have said nope never in my life. Now I know about 30 besides myself. That said you have to stay positive in this sort of thing or I m sure it will just eat you alive, like I keep saying on the upside I have a killer view property now lol.

Anyway regarding the bike I dug into it pretty good today, pulled the ignition switch and did a brief hotwire, runs normal as ever so thats a big step, though wont be starting again till the cap is off and gas changed. Seat pan seems to still be good, pretty much everything on the right side is too outside the grips. Airbox cover is slightly warped but should seal good with a little shimming Top cover for the speedo is toast but I may be able to save the speedo itself which would be nice for accuracy sake. Much as I wanted to keep the melted plastics the enthusiasm you guys show here makes me wonder if I should restore it to its former glory, even if it is a bike I use offroad quite a lot.

Once again I cant thank you guys enough for all the positive and quick replies, its really made my day reading them. I ll get in a PM to everyone that replied next and just to add while I m not rich and certainly have a lot of upcoming expense I wouldnt feel right taking freebies either, I want to make sure you all get a fair deal on any parts too, its the least I can do as cool as youve all been. Anyway thats it and hopefully not too far in the future I ll be posting updates and pics with the little warrior rising from the ashes, or melted goo as the case may be.

PS. For a little reference, this pile of debris is whats left of my garage, about 5 feet back from the lower left corner of this shot is where it was parked during the fire....

IMG_20181115_164614262.jpg

Registered
Good to see your bike made it Steve. The melted side plastic looks kind of neat, amazing how much difference a few feet can make. Sorry about your garage. The crew here should be able to get you all fixed up then maybe you can represent Paradise at JoMama's next Nor-Cal ride. Maybe after that, you may wish that your bike did burn. Just kidding (Joe). My XT also had a full tank, but the remainder of my fill canister still had 3 gallons and was within a few feet of the bike. Both under a wooden carport. Likely Paradise will be a pretty quiet place for a few years, as well a safer place to ride with fewer cars. Be mindful of air quality when things dry out and the wind blows a bit. Loosing a garage is one thing, growing old with C.O.P.D. would add insult to injury. Take care, stay healthy and safe. Gerry

Registered
Gerry, as much as I would like to host another ride, it is not going to happen any time soon. The riding in my area has been consumed by the Ranch Fire earlier this year. The forest is CLOSED. They have said the this is until at least until July. Maybe MHOM can arrange another coastal ride.
Steve, the offers to help with a few free parts are nothing new around here. Just accept them and get back on the TW. And good luck to both on your fire recovery.

Joemama

Registered
I'd leave it as burned up as possible. Will be an hit and instant conversation starter anyplace you take it.

Maybe take some pictures and send them to Yamaha with a letter and your story. Tell them how much you love the bike etc. Might get some help or a deal on parts, heck maybe a new bike for X-mas. Companies love to help and get a little PR.

Registered
Very good points Chip. Yamaha Public Relations might appreciate this story and run with it. Your bike in a running condition is certainly a distinctive badge of pride, survivability, or. what I can't say...

Had we known a Rainbow Warrior was in imminent distress maybe we could have had sent something like this your way:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts