TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a couple of hours to kill this evening and the rain finally stopped, so I went out to hop on the bike but... I couldn't roll it backwards. :eek: I made sure it was in neutral, shifted through the gears a couple of times to double-check, had no problem pushing it forward (yay small bike!), but it felt like it was stuck whenever I tried to roll it backwards off the patio. :(
Had to leave it and take the big bike out for a spin instead. :rolleyes:

Has anyone run into this before? It was too dark to see, so I don't know if it might be the chain, or... ???

·
Registered
386 Posts
is it a drum front brake model? i had this problem before and it turned out the brake shoe had broken inside the drum, dont know why it would only be hard to roll backwards, but it was.

·
Registered
312 Posts
is it a drum front brake model? i had this problem before and it turned out the brake shoe had broken inside the drum, dont know why it would only be hard to roll backwards, but it was.
what he said....had this happen about a dozen times over the years on various bikes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Loosen the rear axle nut a little and see what happens. Mine did not like being torqued to 65 ft-lb and did the same thing.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had to work a yard sale today with Mom, so couldn't look at it until around noon. The chain appears to be good. Rear sprocket looks alright and there's about an inch flex, so I don't think it's overly tight... but I really don't know yet. SO. Asked Mom's S.O. about it because he's a big time motorcycle fiend and he also said it was probably the drum brakes. I'm going to go with Drum Brakes for a $1,000 Alex.

Might as well go ahead and replace the front and rear drum brakes and put that o-ring chain & sprockets on. But it's all good. I still have the big Nomad to ride. One more weekend of paved roads is still one more weekend on a motorcycle! :icon_thumbright:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:laughing4: that's awful... awful funny!!! lol
Ya know... I kinda laugh at this too because... at first I thought a twig might be caught in the chain! The patio had some downed branches because of all the rain and wind we've had. So, scotti158 wasn't too far off. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it is a shoe-- you are lucky. When I spit and broke a shoe in the mountains it wouldn't go forward, only backward.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
...... Might as well go ahead and replace the front and rear drum brakes and put that o-ring chain & sprockets on.....
Before you order all new brake parts you should have a good look at what is there....often drum brakes can be resuscitated just by sanding shoes and drum lightly with 320 and lightly greasing the pivot. The service manual has a paragraph on this. Basically, if the shoe material is worn below about 1/8th inch they should be replaced, or if they are worn unevenly.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... now the wheel won't turn at all. <~sigh~>

I 'inherited' a motorcycle jack from Mom (the same one I gave her for Christmas years and years ago), and used that to raise the rear wheel off the ground. Tried to turn it by hand as suggested, but it wouldn't move at all. Out of curiosity (bad thing, that!), I cranked the bike up, let it warm up a bit, then popped it into first with the idea of using the throttle to move the wheel. I'm only 5'3"... Maybe I just didn't have enough 'umph'?

Nope.

Well... that may also be true, but something else is going on. The rear wheel seemed to 'jump', but didn't turn, and the engine cut out.

So... I'm going to wait for Mom's boyfriend to get back from his trip and let him help.

I want to learn how to do all this stuff, so I can be self-reliant when I'm out on the road. The TW200 is perfect for this, I'm sure. But I also don't want to blindly do something stupid when an experienced mechanic already offered to help. I just have to be strong and get him to just show me, instead of jumping in and doing it for me. ;)

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
Assuming the test isolated the problem to the rear then I would then determine whether it is wheel or driveline related. Perhaps drop chain and try to spin rear wheel independent of engine and drive chain.
If you remove the master link then with the transmission in neutral you can test free spinning of chain and engine output shaft with a little push/pull on the chain ends. It is conceivable that something is amiss with the chain at front sprocket.
I think using more engine power to furthur diagnose is somewhat inadvisable, things can break and an unsupervised wheelie off the jack would really add excitement to your day.:eek:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Careful with the jack. I noticed if I dont have mine positioned just right one of the jack runners will actually be on the chain............which would keep the rear wheel from turning in either direction :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you tried loosening the rear axle nut Yet? It worked for me. I cleaned up and adjusted the brake and tightened the nut to 65 ft pounds and the wheel would not turn backwards (OK forwards). It would be a good idea to take the wheel off to see whats going on.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found a great YouTube video that clearly shows how to remove the wheels and inspect/clean the brakes.

I'm a natural visual learner. If I can watch something being done, and have clear, concise instructions, I can usually reproduce the sequence with little trouble. So, armed with this demo, I felt confident enough to tackle the job on my own.

20150608_175447.jpg

I removed the wheel, cleaned the drum brake pads and cylinder, lubed the chain, then reinstalled the tire. I also found the culprit... the brake arm was adjusted too tight! Which was weird because I haven't touched it. Is there supposed to be a second nut to keep tension on the wingnut to keep it from turning?

20150608_174558.jpg

Even if that's not the norm, I'm seriously considering adding one in front of the spacer to keep tension on it to prevent the wingnut from walking itself out of position again.

Thanks to Everyone who offered advice! Your troubleshooting ideas and cautions were great and I really appreciated the help :)

·
Super Moderator
17,933 Posts
I think you adjusted your chain recently and didn't back off the brake wing nut first before you moved the tire towards the rear, leaving no alternative but for the brake to engage itself. Could that be it?

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
There's a spring missing on your brake rod - it goes here

20150608_174558.jpg

The springs keeps the tension on the nut on the end so it doesn't work loose ...............

1 - 20 of 23 Posts