TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey how’s it going... I posted something recently but couldn’t explain what was going on the best ... I’m having these issues if anyone knows what I could do to resolve them

1. Bike spuddering and dies when I give it throttle
2. Bike won’t go into gear and dies when I put into first or second

I wasriding the bike had no issues ...tried to go for a ride one evening and it’s been like this since

thought it was the kickstand switch... I had actually took off with my kickstand down a couple weeks ago so idk... I tired wiring it back just to see and nothing changed

there is some electrical short as well
1. Left blinker is out
2. When I pull front break lever front light and blinkers dim
3. Neutral light dims when give throttle as well

·
Registered
468 Posts
Clean the carb. Sounds like something is plugged inside.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Blinker being out is probably a bad bulb.
The other two electrical issues my be a bad battery and / or battery ground.
Cold weather is coming,lead acid batteries dont like cold weather.Check it. Fill it with distilled water up to the line and put it on the charger. If it doesnt hold 12.2 volts or better its no bueno.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Agree with Salabim on electrical issue. When applying brake, one bulb is hunting a ground by running through another bulb causing the two or more to operate in series at half voltage or less causing the dimming.
Even if you have a bad battery, sounds like you still have a bad ground issue as well.

Marty

·
Registered
889 Posts
Also, sounds like you have a sticky or bad kickstand switch if you were able to ride off with it down. Try spraying some WD40 or contact cleaner inside of it beside the plunger and operate plunger in and out several times to see if it helps with gear engagement issue.

Reactions: Oscarrogers

·
Registered
20,812 Posts
Think Marty may be onto something with the floating ground and subsequent bulb dimming, too much impedance somewhere in the circuits. I'ld look at both the battery ground terminal and its cable connection to the chassis.

The sidestand switch is an amazingly simple mechanism & extremely easy to take apart and clean...and thus understand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, sounds like you have a sticky or bad kickstand switch if you were able to ride off with it down. Try spraying some WD40 or contact cleaner inside of it beside the plunger and operate plunger in and out several times to see if it helps with gear engagement issue.
Thank you I seen it was stuck and I strayed some good ole wd40 it didn’t fix it but ima mess with it more right now see what I can do

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
The kickstand switch is a simple affair, with the stand up, the two wires make contact via a plunger switch. The switch can be defeated by simply shorting out those two wires, at which point it can be eliminated ……

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The kickstand switch is a simple affair, with the stand up, the two wires make contact via a plunger switch. The switch can be defeated by simply shorting out those two wires, at which point it can be eliminated ……
What if the two wires were cut when I started having this issue ... a previous owner did a halfass splice job and it had come apart ... after I started having this issue I tried to splice them together and it didn’t help . And also how would I go about shorting the wires you think ?

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
Twist them together - short them out - shove a safely pin through both - solder them together

Take your choice - but as long as both ends are in constant contact with each other, jobs done ....

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
If it works, and you need a more permanent solution, cut both wires, run a couple of inches of heat shrink over one end, solder together, run the heat shrink over the join - apply heat

This will ensure that any lose ends are not touching any frame earth - water ingress is not a problem .....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts