TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up again guys....

so i've put about 387 miles on my 2017 tw200. i took my bike to the dealership because my bike won't start on fuel.... i have to start it up on full choke. i usually warm it up full and then half choke before riding. the dealership said this is normal and the bike just "runs cold."

is this true? i feel like i should be able to start up the bike without choke every time. i ride every or every other day. also if i dont let the bike warm up a bit after start it stalls when i pop it into first gear. i've heard dual sports clutch can get thrown out of whack when its breaking in.

i absolutely love the weight of the bike and how it rides for a 5'6 guy like me, i'd hate to sell it but it has been a bit quirky. convince me to not get the new rebel 500 or honda cb500x! :p

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
This was part of my very first post, 13 Jan 2017:

Off the showroom, it required choke (enrichener actually, on the TeiKei MV28 carb) for warm starts and it had idling issues (deceleration diaphragm seemed to affect fast idle...when it dropped to "normal" it would die on the 18 mile ride home. Drilled the plug and adjusted from factory 1 1/4 turns out to 2 3/4 allows restarts, even after 2 hours sitting in ~65 F ambient...and ended idle issues. Pilot, needle and main jets seem OK up to 5,000 feet elevation (home is 2,200)

·
Registered
311 Posts
What are the temperatures like where you live? When it's cold (say about 10 deg C /50 deg F or colder) my 2013 usually needs full choke to start then half choke to warm up. The colder it is the longer I need to keep it on full choke. Any warmer than that and it only needs half choke to start. Even in summer, I use half choke to start but I only need it for 15-30 sec max. I find the TW way less cold-blooded than my buddy's KLX250. His is a beast to start and needs several minutes on full choke to warm up.

The stall when you first drop it into first isn't unusual. The clutch plates stick a bit after sitting; again, it's worse when it's cold. Rolling forward a bit as you put it into first can help. Different oils make a difference too. Others here have lots of experience with various oil options.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
All normal. The pilot jet should be adjusted richer. All bikes have to pass California emissions, so they come from the factory as lean as they can get them. If you adjust the pilot, it will start better, warm up better and you won't need the choke (as much).
For the clunk and stall, put the bike in gear before starting it, pull in the clutch and rock it back and forth until you feel the clutch plates release. Then start it and go when ready.

·
Registered
20,508 Posts
Cris, unless you live in the southern hemisphere where it is currently summer and also ride at sea level I would say your issue with the enrichening circuit is quit normal for a bone stock TW.
The dealer is somewhat wrong with his generality, these TWs do not run so much cold but Califronia lean as LittleTommy so correctly points put. He also points out the common effective solution we use.

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
20,508 Posts
Our member Bananachunks just got his new replacement Honda CB500x after his first got smashed on the streets of San Francisco last Halloween. We rode our TWs with him a couple of times and his Honda was very impressive. No choking with fuel injection is kind of nice.:p

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
....No choking with fuel injection is kind of nice.:p
This is the first time ever all my current bikes have fuel injection........

XT250
CB500
Street Twin
TU250

Now I spend my time riding instead of messing with carbs..... :hello2::hello2:

jb

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Me Too!!

This is the first time ever all my current bikes have fuel injection........

XT250
CB500
Street Twin
TU250

Now I spend my time riding instead of messing with carbs..... :hello2::hello2:

jb

Reactions: Tweaker and Ken

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
What do you do with a dead battery and fuel injection? What happens if you run out of fuel? Is it like a car and the fuel pump burns up?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
What do you do with a dead battery and fuel injection? You buy one of those small portable jumpers.

What happens if you run out of fuel? The bike won't run or start, so you never let yourself run out.

Is it like a car and the fuel pump burns up? That can happen.
..:p..

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
adjust that mixture screw as explained, use the choke like everyone else, and ride it like you stole it...... then when youre done with that buy the cb500x any ways and get a rally raid kit....
https://www.cycleworld.com/honda-cb500x-adventure-kit-by-rally-raid-products
I, too, am a shorty-short, and the TW and the Honda 500s are a great pairing! I have a CB500F with the RR level 1 suspension, skid plate, 17" spoked wheelset with TKC80 tires, and other bits. A 20 minute wheelset switch takes it from commuter or asphalt tourer, to something with additional capability like ADV or light dual sporting. The TW is great for the trails, lower speed, or shorter runs. Both great bikes!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
There have been some that have gone to adjust the pilot screw and found it still turned all of the way in on new bikes! 1 turn out is the stock setting, and most find 2-2.5 the sweet spot. Good luck to the OP, I'm sure you'll love it once you get it figured out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts