TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding in the Ocala Forest today and came upon on black bear. I have seen lots of animals but never a bear in the past six months. I was around 30 yards away on a single sandy trail and my first thought was how can I get the TW turned around if the bear charges:) He watched me for a minute and then I blew the horn and off he went. So I waited a minute then gunned it and flew by the area hoping he wouldn't come back out. Exciting what you can see on a TW.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Generally, black bears are slow to move off. When I see one ahead I slow down and give him time to move off. I've never seen one stand its ground, but I've never surprised one at close range, either. I have had a run-in with a grizzly, though. Came around a curve on a gravel road in Alaska, and there it sat in the middle of the road, nose high in the air soaking up the sun. I locked up the brakes and slid up to about 3 feet from it, the bear just lowered his gaze to see what all the ruckus was about, I dumped the clutch and took off the way I had come. I waited about a half mile back for about 30 minutes until a semi came by, then followed the truck. The bear was gone. Took three days for the pyramid on the seat to flatten out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ride ONF a few times a year. Be up there for bike week in March for sure. Haven't seen any bears yet but I have seen there tracks around some of the water holes. Mostly see deer and I'm sure that there are panthers as well. I wish the TW was not so loud, more like the electric sound that some newer dual sports sound like - as to not scare off the animals so easy. Whenever I get retired I'll be spending winters in Anthony, FL. so riding in the ONF can be a daily adventure. Just be sure to give the hunters there time in the woods as we can ride the rest of the year there. Capt D.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I go out after lunch when things are slow for the hunters. I don't want anyone shooting at me:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts