TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have photos or dimensions for the part pictured below? (photo taken from another thread here on the forum) It is the small slotted black plastic plug that fits into the outside of the carburetor right beside what I believe is the air-cutoff valve. I've managed to partially destroy mine and then lose it and I need a replacement as it's the only part missing on my carburetor rebuild.

I'm restoring an abused 89 TW200 and have completely disassembled the bike down to the bare frame. The carburetor was the first project and it cleaned up very nicely. Replaced all hardware on the carb with stainless low profile allen screws. I have access to lathes and mills so I'm hoping to machine a new plug to replace the one I destroyed since I'm not having any luck finding one to purchase. If anyone has any insight as to where I can find one or details that would help me to closely reproduce this part, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any hints as to the function of this part would help me to understand whether I need to reproduce it exactly or if it can be improvised somewhat. (ex: if it's only function is to close off airflow to that port, I can just use a small rubber bung)

Thanks

EDIT: I was able to find the plastic black plug that I removed from this port. As mangled as it is, I may be able to pull some critical dimensions from it. You can see the flat portion at the end that corresponds to the slot in the throttle slide. Since this plug had a flat in it for a screwdriver, my assumption is that it was intended to be turned which would apply force against the slide and increase resistance on the throttle. I'm not sure what function this would serve but hopefully someone on here will have some insight

Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor Engine

Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part Metal Engine

What's left of the plug (looking at it from the side that would be inside the carburetor):
Wood Hardwood Laminate flooring Wood stain Insect

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the service and repair manuals listed in the technical write ups section, they are all there
I've checked the parts diagrams (generally my first step) but this individual piece doesn't appear to be on it unless it is part of the diaphragm set (part #32 pictured below) but it doesn't appear to be there. Thanks for pointing out those references, though.

Text Diagram Line Font Design

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
I have a vague memory of looking at this plug when I had my carb apart. I think came to the conclusion that is all it was, a plug.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's behind the plug? Something that needs to be protected?
The port goes into the central part of the carb in which the slide goes up and down. The end of the plug is notched and corresponds to the slot in the one side of the slide. The notched end fits inside the slot and may be used to align the slide properly? Or possibly by turning this plug, you can add or relieve tension on the slide by pressing the notch against the sides of the slot?

I have no clue, I'm just going off of observation here

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally found what's left of the missing black plug midst the clutter of my desk at work. It's pretty mangled but I may be able to salvage it since the end that would be inside the carburetor is mostly intact. I'm still curious as to its function and might machine a new one anyway. Someone on here has to know what this thing is/does.

I edited the original post to include a photo of the plug along with this update

1 - 7 of 7 Posts