TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at my original rear tire which has 5300 miles on it and its getting worn out (and very old). Rear wheel is at motorcycle shop getting the Duro power grip installed. Motorcycle shop owner looked at me like I was crazy but said they would do it. (his son will anyway....lol). Soooo trying to decide what sprocket to put on. I'm running a 47t now but from what I've read maybe a 55t might do the trick? I want to be able to go 55mph but will be mostly sticking to low speed in the dirt. I'm also thinking I'm gonna need a different length chain? I was going to pester twbrian with all these questions since he is running the same tire but wanted input from anyone on this forum who has done this mod.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
motorcycle shop called and said tube has hole and needs new tube. Guess "ride on" was doing its job!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RBM. I thought about having spare front and rear wheels with street tires as an option but really probably better off to just have a nice street bike to ride the pavement.....

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
another of the nor-cal group goes big.... soon enough there will be fewer of us with out, than with an ATV tire. see you on it in september/october.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
RBM. I thought about having spare front and rear wheels with street tires as an option but really probably better off to just have a nice street bike to ride the pavement.....
I have a Honda 919 for the street, the TW is strictly an off road, inclement weather, quick blast around the block bike for me.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but are not our chains exactly 1 inch per linked pair. Thus Mike, those 8 extra sprocket teeth (55-47=8) will need a chain 4 inches, and thus 4 links, longer to place axle in same location on swingarm as your current set-up.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but are not our chains exactly 1 inch per linked pair. Thus Mike, those 8 extra sprocket teeth (55-47=8) will need a chain 4 inches, and thus 4 links, longer to place axle in same location on swingarm as your current set-up.
IIFC tw-brian's extra bit-o-chain is exactly four links.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have been running the Duro for several years now. I also ended up putting on a 55 tooth rear and it brought the bike back to life. I can go 55+ and all is well. Put on a Shinko 241 and you'll also enjoy a better ride... IMHO.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Hey Mike (Evan),

I hope that the shop is able to get your Duro mounted without any drama or injury!

When I went to the dual rear sprocket setup with 47/55 rear sprockets I replaced the stock chain with an o-ring chain, but unfortunately I don't recall what length it was. I believe that the stock chain is 122 links. Here is a pretty decent deal on an o-ring chain with 132 links which would give you plenty of extra length:

KMC O-Ring Chain 428UO

Fred, you are correct. Our chains are 1" per linked pair, as measured from the centers of the pins. However, you may be overstating the length of chain needed to bridge a difference of 8 teeth on the rear sprocket. Here is the length of chain that I add/remove when switching between the 47 and 55 rear sprockets (just the 2 linked pairs shown below, the single link shown is a just spare master link). So the actual length needed is only 2" (measured across 2 linked pairs) and not 4". I don't know how to explain it well, but the extra length needed for the 8 extra teeth on the sprocket, gets halved due to the top and bottom run of the chain, therefore only 2" is needed and not 4".

100_4108.JPG

Joe, you must be measuring in what women call "man inches". You know, that's when what is really 3" to a woman is claimed to be 6" by a man :D !

Hope this helps,

Brian

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
That's right Brian, thank you for setting me straight. Forgot to factor in that the chain as it wraps around 1/2 of sprocket only "sees" 1/2 of those 8 new teeth. Thanks.
Say DuroDudes, anyone else find that the Duro rubs the muffler? Maybe I have a bent mounting tab from a paleo-crash but I needed to move muffler about 1cm away from tire. I inserted a spacer between muffler mounting tab and frame mount and secured with a longer bolt and nylock nut.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fred, I noticed that mine has "kissed" the muffler a few times upon max compression (I.e. Bottoming out) and I just noticed this when loading Muley up for the Central Cal Russ ride. Your solution sounds workable if needed.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yep mine hits the muffler too although i never noticed it while riding, only when i cleaned the bike.

the the OP, i ron a 55t on mine as well. works well with the duro.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Local motorcycle shop is not having fun trying to get the bead to seat. They won't go over 50 psi. Have used tons of soap, tie ratchet tried. Right now it's out in the sun to soften it up. Any other tricks known to help? They may just be giving wheel back to me to try it myself....LOL

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Time , heat and pressure may do the trick. I was tempted to up pressure, use my heat gun and otherwise be impatient. But while contemplating nuckle-headedness my Duro quietly popped on all by herself, maybe 60psi after being in front of wood stove overnight. Tire never more than warm to touch.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
WD40 ?????? I have never heard of it being used on stubborn tires / bead seating but what damage could it do? Soften the surface rubber a little bit and allow it to seat ?????

Report back if you try it. I for one will be very interested if it works. Tony

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm giving them till Friday. then will probably try a local tire shop I know. See what they say.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Motorcycle shop has given up. say then can only get about 2/3ths of bead to seat. Guess I'll give the guys at Big O a chance...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Argggg! Big O blew out my tire!!! I'm a little pissed right now. We could have done that! Guess I'll get another and try again!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts