TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been 96 degrees in the shade but I've been working hard in the full sun.
Heading home suffering from serious dehydration I see up in the distance some people waving signs under a shady tree..."Whats this? Not another protest!" says grumpy tired me.
No! It is three little girls somewhere between 5 & 8 years in pretty floral summer dresses. They are waving signs to hopefully attract customers to their lemonade stand . Whoa, they have Otter Pops!
Brake, turn around and park and look for some money.
I only have a five dollar bill but who cares.
"How about a lemonade or two and you Ladies can keep the change"
So they start filling me up... a glass of pink, then a glass of regular lemonade. "Want an Otter Pop?"
Mommy shows up with some change but I decline thinking the three young entrepreneurs deserve some profit sharing...besides they are cute as bugs, so nice to see young smiles and kids not shying away from strangers.

So I did my little bit towards the proven trickle-down method of economic recovery. By working I was able to inject some of my client's money I honestly earned immediately back into the local economy. By patronizing a small business they, like me, will enjoy a little pleasure from their profits and likely re-invest some back into their business....material & tools for me, likely Kool-Aid and more Otter Pops for the little girls.
Anyways Mommy showed up offering change but since I seem to have been their only customer I decline. Mom insisted I take a few Otter Pops with me. With smiles and waves all around I take off with all of us a little better for the interaction.
Most rewarding $5 I've spent in a long time, so I thought I would share the pleasant moment.
We all can make the world a little better place , just give it a try.

A little pleasant background music for you without any hidden message , back from the times when there actually was systemic racism.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Last summer I drove by a group of young girls selling the most perfectly baked cinnamon rolls I've ever had. Their moms must've shown them exactly when to take them out of the oven so they are still perfectly moist without being doughy. I bought way more than I needed.

I've been looking for their stand ever since but I guess I am only allowed to have that kind of experience once in a lifetime.

Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
back from the times when there actually was systemic racism.
Nice story Fred.... that is until you blew the "dog whistle", You are soooo good at inserting your boilerplate message regardless of thread content or context.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Damn, that was a great story until the end of the last sentence.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Fred, PLEASE do Not get caught up in the "cancel culture". Great story as usual. Can't even enjoy a nice cold lemonade without being criticized. Give it a break already.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Can't even enjoy a nice cold lemonade without being criticized.
come on..... you know it isn't about the lemonade. nobody is cancelling Fred or the lemonade. that was a great story.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Here in Utah we know BLM is a big problem because they already control so much of the state.
how the hell did the cops get enough money to tie up that much land in Utah? must be union...

·
Registered
127 Posts
You have no idea how bad it is here. Since so much of the state is owned by the government our tax base is much smaller than it should be.

Public lands are great as long as you're allowed to use them. Not so much anymore.

Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Come on people, if you really think there is systemic racism directed against black and mixed races here in the United States these days then please give some examples of it.
The days of the Democratic Party being the party of slave owners are long gone, ending in the 1860's. The days of the Democratic Party being the party of Jim Crow Laws and segregation were largely phased out in the subsequent century and mostly gone by 1950's and 60's. The Civil rights movement in the 60's saw great progress in my life that I could see, things any Democrat should feel proud of. Shucks, I used to be an idealistic Democrat back then.
Sure some party members still want to stereotype black Americans as a manageable voter block that can be wielded as a partisan tool. There are some who think the same for other groups, like the " Latino Vote", or the "Women's Vote". To expect all members of any group to think alike and toe a party line is just as much done from ignorance and "politics as usual' as any claim of systemic racism.
Remember when freshman senator Barack Obama was accused of not being black enough when he dared to express individual thought? Remember when Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was accused of the same when he refused to pre-commit to a stance on abortion? This was during those ugly Confirmation hearings chaired by then Seantor Joe Bidden back in 1991.
biden hearing.jpeg

Things have gotten better since 1991 but one still hears stupid stuff like Bidden recently telling a talk show host and his audience that that if they vote for Trump they are not black. Is this the racism that you folks insist exists?

EDIT: I am disappointed that some are angry that I chose to share a little music with a hot weather theme from another time, from another country back when there actually was active racism and lynchings. We have come a long way from those days. If you cannot acknowledge this then you are likely overly influenced by the liberal media. Get out, embrace what is good in the real world around you and just maybe buy some lemonade.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm disappointed this thread wasn't about lemonade. Bait & switch to partisan politics. sigh
You painted a beautiful picture, played a nice song, and then made us look sideways at some shit. ...Baffles me. Why not just start a thread on racism, democrats, and all the stuff that pisses you off?

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I'm disappointed this thread wasn't about lemonade. Bait & switch to partisan politics. sigh
You painted a beautiful picture, played a nice song, and then made us look sideways at some shit. ...Baffles me. Why not just start a thread on racism, democrats, and all the stuff that pisses you off?
No he didn't. You and others just chose to fixate on one comment. Opinions are just that opinions.

Tom

·
Registered
691 Posts
Funny how people can so easily ignore the moral of the story by fixating on a few words that hurt their feelings, huh? Perhaps save that negativity for Facebook where it belongs...

·
Registered
225 Posts
FRED!!!

You are a poet. It's like a good James Taylor song. I know I can write like that, because I think like that, but I sure wish I could write like that.

Thank you, Fred.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fred,

Sorry if I offended. I was just trying a little sideways humor to distract from all the BLM madness in the world. (Most of us come to the forum to get away from it all.) Since I live in an area of the country that's not quite so mad, its mostly like watching a horrible reality tv show on the telly. But I understand that its a very serious topic for others who are in the middle of it.

I agree with leaving it on Facebook. That's a perfect solution for so many of the world's problems!

-Sam

·
Registered
229 Posts
Only in 2020 America.

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
626 Posts
...save that negativity...
That's exactly my point! "Systemic racism", has no connection to girls selling lemonade, and it has everything to do with what divides us these days. Why go there?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts