TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, not a good first post here but oh well.
I tried installing my new Duro last night. I trimmed the bead like everyone says to and lubed everything up with grease. The swap was easy except the bead wouldn't seat of course. I tried a strap around it and airing it up and down a couple of times and hitting the tire with a rubber mallet some but no go. I put the air pressure up to 45psi and turned up my shop heat to about 80 degrees to maybe help soften the rubber. Left it for about a half an hour and I heard a huge boom from my garage. When I went out there the wheel had moved about six feet and there was a huge gaping rip from the bead out into the sidewall. A big flap of rubber was hanging out and my tire and tube were ruined.

I've heard of others going up to 100 plus psi but mine failed at only 45 psi. Maybe I cut the bead too much? I don't know for sure what happened but I know I'm out $100 and my tube. I'm going to order another tire but maybe I won't trim the bead this time and see if I can make it go. Hopefully I can get this figured out because I don't want to waste any more money on tires for this oddball bike.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I had local motorcycle try to put one on, wouldn't seat. Gave it to the local Big O tires and it blew up and ruined my wheel. Luckily had spare rear wheel and just had the normal new rear tire put on it and gave up on atv tire......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had local motorcycle try to put one on, wouldn't seat. Gave it to the local Big O tires and it blew up and ruined my wheel. Luckily had spare rear wheel and just had the normal new rear tire put on it and gave up on atv tire......
That's not gonna work for me. I'm going to give it one more try and let a local motorcycle shop do it. If I can't have the Duro on the back then I'll just put the worn out factory tire on and sell the stupid bike and get an XT225 with normal size wheels. Screw that worthless factory tire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You may want to try a different lubricant too. I used "personal lubricant" on mine and it went on pretty easy. That stuff is much slicker than grease. trimming the bead is a must.
I think trimming the bead is what did me in. The bead ring was still intact but the trimmed area ripped off from it. You don't think gobs of axle grease was enough? I'll put crisco or KY or whatever is takes to get that _____ on there.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Why/how is stock XT tire any different/ better worse than stock TW rear. I don't mean size. I mean traction&wear. You have an ATV tire that fits an XT rim? Or that will fit on the XT. I've read on ADV rider of issues with non stock tires hitting swing arm or shock mount.
That useless factory tire is on some of the bikes in Moab right now.
But list the TW for sale here first many would gladly buy it. Are you close to Texas ? A new member there is looking for a TW.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why/how is stock XT tire any different/ better worse than stock TW rear. I don't mean size. I mean traction&wear. You have an ATV tire that fits an XT rim? Or that will fit on the XT. I've read on ADV rider of issues with non stock tires hitting swing arm or shock mount.
That useless factory tire is on some of the bikes in Moab right now.
But list the TW for sale here first many would gladly buy it. Are you close to Texas ? A new member there is looking for a TW.
The xt225 can take a real motorcycle off road tire. Moab is great but I live where it rains.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sure you're just frustrated lol, I've been there trying to take a 30 year old tire off of an XR500.

I had to cut that joker off with a sawzall (spelling?).

If the tires not made to go on the bike and requires modification, I wouldn't do it. I know many many people have, I personally wouldn't.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure you're just frustrated lol, I've been there trying to take a 30 year old tire off of an XR500.

I had to cut that joker off with a sawzall (spelling?).

If the tires not made to go on the bike and requires modification, I wouldn't do it. I know many many people have, I personally wouldn't.
Yeah the old one on this bike I had to use a 2x4 and drive my truck onto it to pop the bead off. I also found that the over/over technique doesn't work so well on a 14" wheel that's so wide. I got it though.
I am kinda miffed that I'm out $100 but I knew it was a risk from all my reading here. I figure I'll just keep throwing Powergrips at the back wheel until one of them works. Maybe I should order them two at a time :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, part of my issue is resolved. I was putting the factory tire back on do I can go out this weekend and I discovered the pressure gauge I was using to air up the Duro was way off. When it reads the 45psi I thought I was putting in it's actually 75psi according to my other gauge. Whoops! That could be part of the problem :tongue9:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It happens. My chuck has a gage built in. But it's not always correct. Kid that bought my Intruder filled/checked the tires before he rode it home. I had to stop him from over filling.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I didn't trim the bead at all before putting the duro on. Went to a local small-town tire shop and he gave me some of the un-diluted gloop they use for mounting tires. Comes as a paste that you normally dilute with water. I smeared it straight on the tire and rim, no bead trimming for concerns over weakening the tire. One side popped fairly easily at perhaps 50 PSI. The other side had a section that would not pop. I pushed it back down and brought air up to 35, making sure the tire was even all the way round. Put a big hunk of shaker screen on top of it in case of explosions. Still took 100 PSI to seat it.
No problems since. Running Ride-On seal/balance because that tire sure ain't field repairable!! Love it- as Lizrdbrth said "you'll never go back". Mexico's chip-seal roads are wearing this one down, will get another when it's gone.

-- R.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so the tracking shows that my tire will be here tomorrow. I got the sex lube yesterday. What's the consensus on trimming the bead? I've heard both do and don't about this. The first time I trimmed the bead pretty aggressively at an angle and on the inner diameter. I'm thinking that was part of my problem. Is there a video or a close up photo showing exactly the angle and depth of the cut? Or should I just put on the KY and shoot some air into it?
I do have a ride scheduled for Saturday morning so If I get stuck with the bead halfway on or blow this up I'm out on riding for yet another weekend :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When i did mine i trimmed my at an angle as well and it worked perfect. I only trimmed a little bit tho, maybe 3/16's at most.

There is a video that shows what i did on an old tire. Dont take it as gospel but it worked for me(twice).
Hey thanks! That really helped. What kind of pressure did you need to seat the beads? I got the generic KY from Walmart hopefully that will be sufficient. That's what was recommended isn't that what you used as well?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts