TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just switched out my signal lights in the front with the Zeta integrated hand guard led light kit and replaced the rear signal lights with the 12oclocklab led blinkers. Now they both front and back don't blink, they just hold a solid light and don't blink. Please help

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's a different kind of blinker system on the TW...not sure how it works, but has something to do with the temp of the bulbs I believe... Someone more tech savvy will come along I'm sure...

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
It’s the electrical resistance of the indicator bulbs that triggers the flasher unit to blink — LED’s have a lower resistance, so there’s not enough to trigger the flasher

Let’s say you have four bulb elements at 15W each, that means that at 30w (two on each side) they will activate the flasher. So now you have LED’s at (for instance 3W), 6W resistance ‘aint gonna cut it if the flasher unit is looking for 30W to trigger

So you now have to dial in your flasher unit. The usual way is to simply buy a new flasher unit from Ebay (cheap as chips) which will react to a lower load, but you have complications in the other LED’s in your hand guards

What you need to search for is a fully adjustable flasher unit rather than a “fixed rate” one. This will typically be able to be dialled in to however many Watts (resistance) you’re LED’s are taking — it’s a slightly more expensive way to fix this, but should work just fine. Just stick the indicators “on”, get in there with a screw driver, and turn it one way or the other until you get the blinking rate you require

There is a slightly cheaper way of doing this, that involves diodes, wiring, soldering, and a degree in electrical engineering — and is not recommended for the uninitiated

You don’t mention whether or not you are keeping the (USA) constant amber running lights on the front indicators, but bear that in mind on your wiring

Welcome to the house of fun ….. ;)

·
Registered
23,298 Posts
Once you determine that you have not inadvertently tapped into the always on running light wiring circuitry a simple ballast resistor can be added to the flasher wiring. For one of my bikes I ran both front turn signal ground wires trough a single 500 ohm ballast resistor. Thus both left and right circuits see the same shared resistor and flash appropriately. My other TW has the replacement adjustable digital flasher, just a few bucks and a few weeks from China. Both are simple effective affordable solutions.

Reactions: Purple
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.